Gone But Not Forgotten
Aug 3, 2001
Islamic Serial Killer in Iran

For all you fans of abnormal psychology where it becomes serial killing.



Wednesday 17 April 2002 12:29pm

Prison authorities in Iran have executed a man convicted of a series of prostitute killings.
The murders exposed the growing networks of drugs and illicit sex in the country.

Saeed Hanaei was sentenced to death in October for strangling 16 prostitutes with their head scarves in the holy city of Mashhad.

The judge originally promised a public execution, but the decision was changed and Hanaei was hanged in the prison compound, according to a journalist for the state-run media allowed to witness the event.

"I did it for the sake of God," the journalist quoted Hanaei as saying moments before the hanging held in front of some of the victims' relatives.

Hanaei, a 39-year-old construction worker, told police he began the killing spree in 2000 after a man mistook his wife for a prostitute. He confessed to 16 slayings, but several more prostitutes had been killed and police have made no additional arrests.

The victims - many with previous convictions for drug use - were strangled with their Islamic head scarves, which were left wrapped around their necks.

The highly publicised killings and trial forced an unprecedented examination into the extent of prostitution and drug use in Iran, where nearly half of the population is under 25 years old and many feel less bound by conservative Islamic codes.

Prostitution in Mashhad was also blamed on the rising number of pilgrims to the shrine of Shiite Muslim saint Imam Reza.

(c) Copyright Ananova Ltd 2002, all rights reserved.

Reminds me of the case in Pakistan a year or two back, where the killer was also on a "mission."


LAHORE, Pakistan, March 16 — A Pakistani judge today sentenced a man to be strangled, cut into pieces and thrown into acid for murdering and mutilating 100 children.

The lower court judge in Lahore, capital of Punjab province, said he was imposing the sentence on defendant Javed Iqbal after finding him guilty of murdering and mutilating the children.

“Javed Iqbal has been found guilty of 100 murders. The sentence is that he should be strangled 100 times at Minar-e-Pakistan [a landmark in Lahore]. His body should be cut in 100 pieces and put in acid, as he did with his victims,” Additional District and Sessions Judge Allah Baksh said in passing sentence.

Baksh also convicted Iqbal’s accomplice Sabir, who goes by only one name, of murdering and mutilating 98 children and said he also should be strangled, cut into pieces and thrown into acid.

Iqbal and Sabir, who pleaded innocent to the charges last month, can appeal against the sentence to a higher court.

“I’m quite sure this will be challenged in a higher court,” Interior Minister Moinuddin Haider told reporters in Islamabad, Pakistan’s capital.

“We’re a signatory to international conventions on human rights which do not allow these things,” he said.

The decision confirmed the worst serial killing in Pakistan’s 53-year history, in which the court said Iqbal strangled street kids he picked up near his home in a Lahore slum, cut them into pieces and dissolved the body parts in vats of acid.

Iqbal was the target of a nationwide manhunt after he sent a letter to police claiming to have killed the children after sexually assaulting them and taunting authorities for not being able to capture him.

Horrific pictures of vats of acid and of family members trying to identify their children by clothes found in Iqbal’s home shocked Pakistan.

In court, Iqbal denied his earlier confessions.
Iqbal eluded police after nearly one month on the run before he walked into The News newspaper office in Lahore and said he had killed the children.

“I have no regrets. I killed 100 children,” he told The News. “I could have killed 500; this was not a problem. Money was not a problem. But the pledge I had taken was of 100 children, and I never wanted to violate this,” Iqbal said.

In the mid-1980s dozens of people were killed in Punjab and in Sindh and North West Frontier provinces in mysterious night attacks that police blamed on a so-called hammer group.

The attackers broke into houses and bludgeoned their victims to death with hammers. They were never found.
Intersting post, Ogo...

Up until a few years ago, such killers were virtually unknown in the islamic world, according to the inestimable John Douglas.

Could this be the start of a trend? Anyone seen anymore like this?

I think they've been going on for a while, but are just hushed up, much like Russia never admitting it had serial killers until the communist regime fell. Then it turned out they had quite a few.
Er, I don't want to sound racist here and please don't flame me (they really hurt you know), but surely serial killers are pretty well known in western societies too... Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Jane, I think the point Harley was trying to make was we don't often hear about serial killers in the Middle East.

These countries usually have very stricts laws and punishments. That doesn't mean its citizens are all law-abiding. Most serial killings are sexual in nature, and the Middle East has the most sexually repressed culture there is. So, events like the ones described above are bound to happen.
Good point, Ogo. I'm probably just being too sensitive :( . PC can be a terrible thing.

At any rate, things are definitely getting worse.

A documentary I watched a few days ago said that in the 20th Century, from 1900 to the mid 60s, America spawned a serial killer at the rate of one every five years. From the late 60s to the present, America is spawning them at the rate of one every five weeks.

I'm not positive about Europe and the rest of the world, but I assume serial murder is on the upswing everywhere.

Og has indeed read my post a-right :) In 1993 when JD wrote Mind Hunter, there had been no notable Mid-Eastern/Indian sub-continent SSKs (sexual Serial Killers).

The vast majority are caucasian.

BTW each assertion above carries the rider 'detected'

In Denmark the amount of serial killers is more like one per decade. I don't know how it all fits in with population density and such. But it does seem America has a lot percentage wise compared to the rest of the world.
I'm not sure about this, well it is wild speculation really, but much of the western cult of the serial killer is about fame and people's desire for fame. Perhaps priorities in other places are less angled that way and so serial killers gain less attention.
Numerous SSKs do not seek publicty... CF Green River Murderer as an example. Neither did Jeffrey Dahmer. The ones who do it 'for the love of it' are the real nasties to catch. you only know them by the body count (or in Dahmer's case, the stench) no taunting of law enforcement, no grandstanding like Ted, just moving from victim to victim.

Texas(!) set to release serial killer in weird legal loophol


If schedule holds, Texas may be first to free serial killer

A day is worth more than 24 hours to Coral Eugene Watts.

It's worth 72, a three-for-one bargain, a triple-time countdown to May 8, 2006. On that date, Watts, a man known to have killed 13 women and suspected of more than six times that many slayings, is scheduled to walk out of the Texas prison system.

He will be the nation's only known serial murderer to be released.

He will be 52 years old.

Next month will mark the 20th year since state District Judge Doug Shaver sentenced Watts to what was then thought to be an immutable 60 years without parole for burglary with intent to commit murder. If something is to be done in the Texas Legislature or in court to prevent Watts' release, the work must begin now.

It was a compromise that sent Watts to prison, the best that could be done with a case with scant evidence, and it brought some minuscule measure of relief to dozens of survivors of Watts' victims. A glitch in that sentencing, however, a missing phrase, gave Watts the opportunity to have that charge reduced and to become eligible for "good time" benefits of three days' credit for each day served.

And that leaves Watts with a sentence that will be satisfied on the second Monday in May 2006.

On that day it will have been 24 years since Watts was halted in an 11-month rampage in which he killed 12 Texas women. It will have been 24 years since Watts killed his last Houston victim and was caught in an attempt to kill another. It will have been two decades since Watts' arrest and its subsequent revelations made him an albatross of embarrassment around the neck of the Houston Police Department.

It will be almost 40 years earlier than anyone might have hoped.

"It makes me kind of sick," said Shaver, now retired. "It's the most unforgettable case I ever had before me, and he's the most dangerous person I've ever come face to face with.

"When he gets out, some woman is going to die."

Oddly, except for the efforts of a few individuals, the Watts case has gone largely untouched for the past two decades. Despite the advances in the science of DNA, no sample has been taken from Watts. In Michigan and Canada, where Watts is suspected of scores of murders, only Ann Arbor has examined its files to see if DNA material might be available, unfortunately without success.

Now, as Watts' release date approaches, the compliant, soft-spoken inmate is becoming the focus of 11th-hour efforts to keep him in prison.

In Ann Arbor, Mich., detectives are attempting to group information from other cities and neighboring Canada to determine if any DNA evidence might tie to Watts.

"It takes time to gather this material," said Ann Arbor special crimes Detective Mauro Cervantes. "We do have four years, so it's not pressing yet, but we do recognize the need to get it done."

In the Houston Police Department, homicide Detective Tom Ladd periodically reviews old files, hoping to happen on a case he might link to Watts.

In Brookshire, investigators are searching for lost evidence from a killing Watts is known to have committed there.

At City Hall, Andy Kahan, the mayor's victims' advocate, is organizing a rally of survivors of Watts' victims to bring attention to Watts' case and put pressure on legislators to amend the laws that would free him.

And in the Ellis Unit of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, Watts spends his days working as a machinist in the wood shop, counting the days until his release.

Watts was born in Killeen. His parents divorced when he was a toddler, and his mother, an elementary school art teacher, moved to the Detroit suburb of Inkster. There, Watts became an outstanding athlete who won a Golden Gloves boxing championship and, later, received a football scholarship to college.

He was a predator as well. He began assaulting women at age 15 and later turned to killing them. He was suspected in a series of attacks between October 1979 and November 1980 in which 14 women were attacked and eight killed in the Detroit area, in Windsor, Ontario (just across the border), and in Ann Arbor.

Michigan police then began around-the-clock surveillance of Watts.

"He couldn't stand it," said Paul Bunten, a former Ann Arbor homicide detective. "He was street-smart, and he knew how to cover his crimes, but he couldn't shake us. Every time he turned around, one of us was there, watching him. So he left and moved to Texas."

Watts arrived in Columbus in April 1981 and began working as a diesel mechanic. Bunten called Houston police to warn them of Watts' arrival and sent them an 18-page bulletin, detailing Watts' crimes and personal information.

It was a bleak period for Houston police.

More than 700 murders occurred in Houston in 1981, overwhelming an understaffed, underpaid department that had no permanent police chief. As a result, it took weeks for police to locate Watts, and then little, if any, surveillance was conducted.

Watts took advantage of his new freedom. Nightly he would cruise the freeways and side streets until he spotted a woman he believed to have "evil eyes" and then follow her home.

He would wait until she had placed her key in the door, then grab her from behind, choke her into semiconsciousness and drag her inside. He stabbed, strangled or drowned his victims, and over the next 11 months he killed nine in Houston, one in Brookshire, one in Austin and one in Galveston.

He rarely took anything from a victim, and he never raped or sexually molested one.

Then, it all culminated on the night of May 22, 1982. At some point that evening, Watts drowned Michele Maday, 20, in her bathtub. He left that scene and was soon hunting again when he happened on Lori Lister, who was entering her apartment in the early dawn.

Watts choked Lister, then dragged her into her apartment. He had filled the tub and was in the process of drowning Lister when he was surprised by her roommate, Melinda Aguilar. Aguilar escaped, screaming for help, and in the ensuing confusion, Watts was arrested.

Within hours he had hired an attorney, Zinetta Burney, who was aghast when her client, apparently believing police had a better case against him than they did, revealed to her that he had killed a string of women.

"There's something evil in the man," Burney later recalled. "He never threatened me. He was always quiet and polite to me, but he scared me more than anyone I've ever dealt with."

Burney began wearing a crucifix to her meetings with Watts, but she didn't stop working on his behalf. She cobbled an agreement with Assistant District Attorneys Jack Frels and Ira Jones that resulted in Watts' pleading guilty to burglary with intent to commit murder in exchange for the 60-year sentence and immunity in the slayings to which he had confessed. Travis and Galveston counties and one county in Michigan made similar agreements, though others declined.

The burglary charge was considered aggravated because the water in which Watts was attempting to drown Lister was construed to be a deadly weapon, leaving Watts ineligible for parole.

Watts began detailing the killings he had committed since coming to Texas. He alluded to others as well, though he was not as explicit. At his last interrogation by police, he admitted to more than 80 slayings, though he refused to give specifics in any crime for which he was not offered immunity.

Watts has never granted a media interview, and he did not respond to a request to be interviewed for this story.

Many families of victims, already angered at the failure by police to monitor Watts, were doubly offended at the immunity agreement.

"I've taken a lot of grief over that plea bargain over the years," said former Harris County District Attorney Johnny Holmes. "But we had absolutely no evidence in these murders. We could never have tried him on any of them, and it was the only thing we could do."

Two mistakes occurred, however.

One was in Watts' favor. Shaver failed to specify the water as a deadly weapon in the court record. The other mistake may work against Watts: Investigators mistakenly placed the killing of Emily LaQua, 14, in Harris County.

The first mistake allowed Watts to appeal his conviction, and in 1989 the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals reduced his crime to burglary because there was no evidence a deadly weapon had been used. The decision made Watts eligible for parole, good time, bonus time (for acts such as donating blood) and, eventually, release.

The second error could work against Watts. The LaQua slaying occurred in Waller County, placing it outside the immunity blanket Watts received from Harris County prosecutors.

That leaves Watts vulnerable in the LaQua slaying if evidence other than his confession can be found. The science of DNA, in its infancy in 1982, might be applied if a single hair from Watts' head was left on LaQua's clothing.

That evidence, however, has been misplaced.

Sherry Robinson, Waller County district attorney since 1993, is now attempting to locate LaQua's clothing, which disappeared from the Brookshire Police Department shortly after LaQua's body was recovered.

"We think it's in the Department of Public Safety lab (in Austin)," said Robinson. "We just haven't been able to locate it there."

In Seattle, Elizabeth Young, LaQua's mother, was shocked to learn that the evidence in her daughter's case was missing, that Watts' sentence had been reduced and that he had been scheduled for release.

In Grosse Pointe, Mich., Michael Clyne, the widower of one of Watts' victims and a suspect in his wife's slaying until Watts confessed, similarly was unaware of Watts' impending freedom. So were Beverly Searles of Des Moines, Iowa; Phyllis Tamm of Memphis, Tenn.; and Laura Allen of Dallas, all mothers whose daughters were killed by Watts.

In Waltham, Mass., Jane Montgomery has kept abreast of developments in Watts' case, as has Harriet Semander of Houston. Both lost daughters to Watts, and both have been active in opposing his release.

Many of those survivors, already ired over the original handling of the Watts case, are further exasperated at the thought that he could go free.

Several plan to attend a rally Aug. 3 in Houston, organized by Kahan, the mayor's victims' advocate. There, survivors will attend a memorial service and pass a petition that will ask the governor to form a committee to study Watts' case and come up with a way to prevent his release.

"The purpose of this rally is twofold," said Kahan. "We want to draw attention to Watts before his release date draws too near, and we want to bring some pressure on the Legislature.

"That's one reason we're starting now. It's a slow process to get things moving in the Legislature.

"We call it the beginning of a four-year war."

Kahan, citing previous errors in the Watts case, has called Watts "a poster child for incompetence." Kahan agrees, however, that it is unlikely any legislation will rescind Watts' good time. Previous efforts have failed in committee.

In the event Watts is released, the Bureau of Pardons and Paroles will be forced to make special efforts to monitor him, said Perry Ivey, deputy director of field operations for that bureau.

Under the guidelines of that bureau, Watts would be sent to some facility in Houston. To the prison system, he is a burglar. As a result, there would be no public notice of his release or whereabouts, no posting of his name on a list of sex offenders or violent criminals.

"But we'd have to have him under high control," said Ivey. "Electronic monitoring; global positioning satellite monitoring; he could only engage in work or school; otherwise, he'd be locked down.

"With someone like this, if we have to put someone on him 24-7, we will."

That does little, however, to appease the families of those who died at Watts' hands or the police who investigated those deaths.

"He'll kill some other woman," said Houston police homicide investigator Tom Ladd. Ladd spent days interrogating Watts, listening to his confessions and building a rapport with his prisoner.

"Coral Watts is as streetwise as any killer I ever saw," said the detective. "I remember the last time I spoke to him. He was calling me Ladd by then.

"As he was heading off to prison, the last thing he told me was, `Ladd, you know if I ever get out, I'm gonna do it again.' "
Serial killer's last words: "I'll be back!"


"I'd just like to say I'm sailing with the Rock and I'll be back like 'Independence Day' with Jesus, June 6, like the movie, big mother ship and all. I'll be back."
-- Wuornos' final statement

not if will smith and jeff goldblum have anything to do with it! HAHAHAHAHA
And she's going to be played by Charlize Theron in the movie. I must say the resemblance is quite striking. I bet only their mothers can tell them apart :rolleyes:
i just put the paper down from reading the Charlize thing. hahaha

i hope they don't make a Thelma & Louise thing out of it. an icon for feminism that serial killer was not! :no-no:
Serial Killer Collectibles

Reported on local news tonight was the website Supernaught.com, which trades in memorabilia obtained from killers currently on death row. For three figure sums you can purchase a lock of Charles Manson's hair, drawings, photos, whatever takes your fancy in this tasteless trade. :cross eye
Strange? I just watched an episode of the new american TV show 'Dragnet' (Ed O'nieil is a revelation as the cop Joe Friday)
In this episode there are people who buy and sell memorabillia from serial killers.
I seem to recall John Wayne Gacey producing clown face paintings specifically to sell, was it called Murderer chic or something like that, many people had the Charles Manson album "Lie; The love and terror cult" simply for the curiosity value, I'm told it was rubbish to listen to.
How'd we know if the 'souvenirs'were real?
drjbrennan said:
I seem to recall John Wayne Gacey producing clown face paintings specifically to sell, was it called Murderer chic or something like that, many people had the Charles Manson album "Lie; The love and terror cult" simply for the curiosity value, I'm told it was rubbish to listen to.

Just like those who bought the book on serial killers by Ian Brady.

Just a thought, who does the money go to? The murderers themselves? Or (more likely) some unscrupulous 'businessman'.

I know it's illegal in this country to make a profit from your crime and if the killers are on Death Row and if they really are guilty then most of them will be killed by the state within the next 2 decades so what would be the point in them getting the money?
Would it go to the killer's family? Isn't that still trading off the crime by selling the reputation you've gained only through murder?

Either way I want Bundy's death mask.
carole said:
Just like those who bought the book on serial killers by Ian Brady.

Just a thought, who does the money go to? The murderers themselves? Or (more likely) some unscrupulous 'businessman'.

I believe that so long as any venture is not directly to do with the murders/crimes themselves they can do what they like. These people are trading on their notoriety.
I just thought I'd start a general purpose serial killer thread for a couple of recent reports.

Chinese shock at serial killings

By Francis Markus
BBC, Shanghai

A spate of serial killings which have come to light over the last few days in China is triggering waves of shock and anger.

Academics and ordinary people in internet forums are raising thorny issues about why the authorities only reported the cases after police had arrested suspects.

One bulletin board said people's right to know should come above everything else.

The most grisly case involves the torture and strangling of at least 17 teenage boys from the poor central province of Henan.

They are reported to have been lured to their deaths from internet cafes and video-game parlours.

Their gruesome remains have been found at the house of the man whom police have arrested as the suspected killer.

Chinese media reports say the man was only detained after a boy he was preparing to kill managed to escape.

They say police brushed off attempts by families of the other murdered boys to get their disappearances investigated, until some desperate parents went to Beijing to seek central government help.

Among the other cases that have come to light in the last few days is one involving the stabbing to death of 65 people across four provinces and the murder of another 12 women.

Eat dick

Grisly details cited in case of Fulton man
Affidavit questions search ‘oversight.’

By JAMES GOODWIN of the Tribune’s staff
Published Wednesday, November 19, 2003

New allegations against Jack Wayne Rogers describe a dark world of genital mutilation and murder, while a delay in the search of the Fulton man’s property raises the question whether evidence could have been destroyed.

The former lay minister pleaded guilty in federal court last week to possessing child pornography. But records filed Monday in Callaway County Circuit Court suggest that Rogers, 58, also might have acted on other sordid fantasies.

People interviewed by the Missouri State Highway Patrol have said that Rogers has admitted to multiple murders and has surgically removed the genitals of willing subjects and unwitting victims in Columbia and elsewhere.

"Rogers called it ‘communion’ " when he consumed body parts of a victim, Sgt. David Merrill, a criminal investigator with the highway patrol, wrote in a court affidavit.

The document, which led Monday to a third search of Rogers’ property and a travel trailer at 707 Nichols St., outlines alleged acts of genital mutilation, cannibalism and murder. But if evidence suggests Rogers participated in any of the crimes, county prosecutors have yet to press charges.

Merrill wrote in the 17-page affidavit that "due to an oversight and despite the fact that I believed that probable cause existed to search … for human remains," investigators did not look for remains in flower beds, under paving stones or elsewhere in Rogers’ front and back yards during the first two searches.

Instead, investigators concentrated on finding the child pornography Rogers admitted last week in federal court to possessing.

There was a three-week span between the first search of Rogers’ property on March 18 and his arrest on April 9. The gap between those searches is provocative for investigators.

"I believe," Merrill wrote, "… that after the execution of the first search warrant and before being taken into custody, that Jack Rogers destroyed evidence which may have implicated himself" in the disappearance of Brandon K. Perry, 20, of Skidmore and other "yet to be discovered crimes" as well as the "illegal" genital surgeries.

Rogers’ lawyer in the pornography case, Valerie Leftwich, declined to discuss Merrill’s affidavit. "I would have no comment on that," she said.

Investigators have seized surgical tools and other materials from Rogers’ home that could lend credibility to accounts that he performed at least one genital surgery in Columbia.

In his affidavit, Merrill recounts the story of an unnamed man who told investigators that he paid Rogers to surgically remove his genitals. The man met Rogers over the Internet and later arranged to meet him in person at a Columbia motel, Merrill wrote.

The man and his wife met with Rogers and an unnamed associate, according to the affidavit. Rogers conducted the procedure as his associate handed him the surgical utensils and took photos, Merrill wrote.

Investigators later found the associate, who said he had known Rogers for a few years and had helped him perform the same operation on three other men.

"The individual told officers that the standard agreement between Jack Rogers and individuals undergoing Jack Rogers’ surgical procedures was that Jack Rogers would retain the severed and removed body parts for his own use," Merrill wrote. "The individual reports that Jack Rogers told him that Jack Rogers would on occasion eat" the body parts and that "on one occasion Jack Rogers asked if he wished to try it."

The man who underwent the procedure at the Columbia motel has identified himself in a digital image taken from a computer confiscated in April from Rogers’ now-defunct business, according to the Merrill affidavit.

That business, Deck & Decker Personnel Service, was located in a suite at 1900 N. Providence Road. A sex chamber and a manual describing the procedure for removing genitals were also found at the business, Merrill wrote.

Another man interviewed by state investigators said Rogers told him he "had killed a number of individuals and that they talked frequently about Jack Rogers’ involvement in performing surgeries involving the removal of male genitalia," Merrill wrote.

The man told investigators that Rogers once mentioned that one man had died during such a procedure. The man also reported that Rogers said he "would keep the teeth of victims and throw their teeth out of his car window while he drove to hide and dispose of the body," Merrill wrote.

In his affidavit, the investigator said he sought a third search warrant for Rogers’ home to look for human remains. Police confiscated a backpack, couch cushions and a blue plastic tub found in a travel trailer on Monday.

But an inventory of seized items makes no reference to human remains.

The first one sounds a bit Dahmer-ish. Probably the worst kind of serial killers is one that, like Dahmer, West and Nilsen, prey on transients and hide the bodies. How can you search for a serial killer if you don't know one exists?
Exactly and where media is so strictly controlled it is difficult to warm people, spot patterns, etc. I suspect, as with the fall of the Soviet Union, we'll start to see a lot more serial killer cases from China.

I also can't imagine they have a country wide serial killer database so if the killer keeps moving it would be incredibly hard to keep track of them.

And yet, the Kostoev investigation into Chikatilo was one of the most single-minded I have heard of. Also, I seem to remember it was a direct result of the investigation that Chikatilo was apprehended, rather than the usual 'lucky break' which seems to end most investigations into serial killers.