• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's covered on a couple of pages, but I'm afraid I don't have a camera or scanner, sorry. I imagine it's been a popular book, so maybe someone else on here has a copy they can help with?

A former Los Angeles rubbish collector has been found guilty in the "Grim Sleeper" serial murders which spanned more than 20 years and left 10 dead.

Lonnie David Franklin Jr killed nine women and a 15-year-old girl between 1985 and 2007, before dumping their bodies, often in alleyways.

Prosecutors said Franklin Jr, 63, stalked vulnerable young black women before shooting or strangling them.

He began by targeting drug addicts during LA's crack cocaine epidemic.

Franklin Jr was convicted after a two-month trial at LA County Superior Court and could face the death penalty.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36215690

And now he, too, is sleeping the Big Sleep.

Cause of death, as yet, unknown:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/us/grim-sleeper-dies-death-row/index.html

Beware of bogus serial killer "experts".

An online investigation has exposed French author Stéphane Bourgoin, whose books about serial killers have sold millions of copies in France, as a serial liar.

Bourgoin is the author of more than 40 books and is widely viewed as a leading expert on murderers, having hosted a number of French television documentaries on the subject. He has claimed to have interviewed more than 70 serial killers, trained at the FBI’s base in Quantico, Virginia, and that his own wife was murdered in 1976, by a man who confessed to a dozen murders on his arrest two years later.

But in January, anonymous collective the 4ème Oeil Corporation accused him of lying about his past, and Bourgoin has now admitted to the French press that the wife never existed. He also acknowledged that he never trained with the FBI, never interviewed Charles Manson, met far fewer killers than he has previously claimed, and never worked as a professional footballer – another claim he had made.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...r-expert-admits-serial-lies-stephane-bourgoin

Very interesting programme with the excellent Professor David Wilson and writer Neil Milkins and team on the trail of a serial killer in 1960s west London - they believe it was a man called Harold Jones (who murdered two girls when he was 15, many years before in Abertillery). 'Dark Son' - it's currently on the I-Player. (Admittedly it's not very 'fortean', unless serial killers are fortean by their very abnormality)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0c062xj/dark-son-the-hunt-for-a-serial-killer

Within my career I have worked with Forensic patients who have murdered people.Not serial killers but people who have taken lives. Art Therapy was part, for some,included in their treatment.Creative writing was also accessed by some. Some of the art was mediocre and some very good indeed. As was the writing. However none, I believe gave any real insight to the person. There was no dark, what do you make of this type pictures, usually the opposite. There was two types of patient. One who killed acting on delusions {in the the context of a psychotic episode} and the other who usually were extremely personality disordered. The psychotic type I encountered were ill and had remorse when well, about their actions. The dis-social personality types always tried to portray a different side to themselves and disassociated themselves from their crimes. You could buy their art nd never know. I think at times in high profile cases the person will play up to what people think they may be, but more often they try to distance themselves. Ego plays a huge part. I think a certain type of celeb like to buy these type of things.
What an intriguing job you have!!

Not that this came as any great surprise...

Golden State Killer sentenced to life in prison
Joseph DeAngelo, the man known as the Golden State Killer, has been sentenced to life in prison.

His sentencing is the culmination of a crime investigation that began in the 1970s and attracted worldwide interest.

DeAngelo, 74, was arrested in 2018 after his DNA was found on a genealogy website.

In June he admitted to 13 murders in a deal with US prosecutors meant to spare him the death penalty.

He also admitted to numerous rapes, burglaries and other crimes at the time.

Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert on Friday called DeAngelo a "sociopath in action".
https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-53828154

This is horrifying; five elderly couples who were ruled to have died in murder/suicide incidents are now believed to have possibly been murdered by a third party. There may be more victims.
How harrowing for their families. It would have been bad enough at the time but to have it all raked up again must be traumatic.

Cheshire police examine serial killer theory in five couples' deaths

Police in the north-west of England are reviewing claims that a serial killer may have been behind five apparent murder-suicides of older couples over the past 24 years.

Stephanie Davies, Cheshire police’s senior coroner’s officer, has produced a 197-page report raising concerns that the deaths of Harold and Bea Ainsworth in April 1996 and Donald and Auriel Ward in November 1999, all in the wealthy town of Wilmslow, were double murders by a third party who is still at large, the Sunday Times reported.
etc

This is horrifying; five elderly couples who were ruled to have died in murder/suicide incidents are now believed to have possibly been murdered by a third party. There may be more victims.
How harrowing for their families. It would have been bad enough at the time but to have it all raked up again must be traumatic.

Cheshire police examine serial killer theory in five couples' deaths
Especially when you read about the brutality of their deaths.

One had a knife left stuck in their forehead!

Especially when you read about the brutality of their deaths.

One had a knife left stuck in their forehead!

I know, it's so bizarre! One of the men had a coat hanger twisted round his neck. That's a strange way to kill yourself.

I would not call that a suicide.
It is certainly possible to self-garotte oneself with the help of implements. A leading expert on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did this.
People have also sadly managed it with other improvised equipment. I have a downloaded BMJ paper about the subject somewhere.
Disturbed people can kill themselves in strange ways.

It is certainly possible to self-garotte oneself with the help of implements. A leading expert on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did this.
People have also sadly managed it with other improvised equipment. I have a downloaded BMJ paper about the subject somewhere.
Disturbed people can kill themselves in strange ways.
I guess if they are desperate to die they will find a way :(

Was that expert trying to recreate a scene from a Sherlock Holmes story?

Not that this came as any great surprise...

Golden State Killer sentenced to life in prison

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-53828154

The DNA from a genealogy site is interesting. With the rise in interest, and usage, of these sites you'd expect more DNA links but I've not heard of any. Presumably the guilty party would steer clear, but relatives would show up. Do these sites share their samples with police? Is there a DNA database that they have to cross reference?

The DNA from a genealogy site is interesting. With the rise in interest, and usage, of these sites you'd expect more DNA links but I've not heard of any. Presumably the guilty party would steer clear, but relatives would show up. Do these sites share their samples with police? Is there a DNA database that they have to cross reference?
This answers some of your questions: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvcham...c-genealogy-golden-state-killer/#908b4c65a6d0
From what I recall, the GSK was caught because a relative had used one of these websites and police requested information. They then compared the GSK DNA with the data they had, looked for relatives of the partial match they got, and found a guy who had lived near the scene of all the rapes and murders - who was of course DiAngelo. It raises ethical questions -- of course it's great that they caught such a brutal killer, but if this technology exists it means we have very little privacy about our genetic data, and if we happen to live in a country that can't be trusted to have reasonable laws, we may end up in trouble (imagine for example it being desirable to keep a particular ethnic heritage secret).

Copied from an earlier post of mine in this thread:

"More than 15 million people have offered up their DNA to online genealogy services in recent years. While they represent a small fraction of all people, the pool of profiles is large enough to allow 60 percent of white Americans to be identified through the databases, according to researchers.

Researchers believe that in the coming years, 90 percent of Americans of European descent will be identifiable, even if they have not submitted their own DNA
."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/17/us/jerry-westrom-isanti-mn.html

There seem to be no legal reasons why UK police couldn’t use private genealogy DNA databases. See this tabloid article, though l’m not aware of any such investigations. Yet.

The UK’s first murder conviction based on familial DNA evidence was in May 2004.

maximus otter

Copied from an earlier post of mine in this thread:

"More than 15 million people have offered up their DNA to online genealogy services in recent years. While they represent a small fraction of all people, the pool of profiles is large enough to allow 60 percent of white Americans to be identified through the databases, according to researchers.

Researchers believe that in the coming years, 90 percent of Americans of European descent will be identifiable, even if they have not submitted their own DNA
."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/17/us/jerry-westrom-isanti-mn.html

There seem to be no legal reasons why UK police couldn’t use private genealogy DNA databases. See this tabloid article, though l’m not aware of any such investigations. Yet.

The UK’s first murder conviction based on familial DNA evidence was in May 2004.

maximus otter

I don't have a problem with this sort of database being used by shared authorities. If someone has inflicted themselves on another person, leaving a biological detritus, then, on your own head be it.

Could it be used by rogue governments, and ideologically driven law enforcement - yes. I reckon that this is what fighting in the streets is all about.

What I do have a problem with are specific genetic discoveries made from an individuals DNA, that are beneficial to humanity, which are then patented/copyrighted by corporations/businesses and then marketed in the name of free enterprise.

Someone named us Sapien once...that should have been Callidus. Homo callidus.

Your opinion will vary.

Back