Seriously Bad Taste Merchandise

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Or maybe he's just a guy holding his girlfriend's bag for a while?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My grandad was in one of the regiments that liberated Belsen. He'd never talk about it. Ever. To anyone.
The father of a family I knew in my youth had done similar. When it was shown for the first time on TV (All Our Yesterdays? The World At War?) with the bulldozers moving in, that was the first most youngsters had heard about it. As you found, people who'd been there weren't discussing it.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The father of a family I knew in my youth had done similar. When it was shown for the first time on TV (All Our Yesterdays? The World At War?) with the bulldozers moving in, that was the first most youngsters had heard about it. As you found, people who'd been there weren't discussing it.
The World at War, I believe. I watched this when it came out in 1973 when I was 10. It's on now on one of our Freesat channels but I can't bear to watch it. During one of my German History lectures at university a decade later we watched some other films from the time that make my flesh creep to this day just thinking about them (and they should make one's flesh creep). The fact that a fairly large number people deny the Holocaust happened at all makes my blood boil. And it won't be very long before there is nobody alive who can remember the war...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The World at War, I believe. I watched this when it came out in 1973 when I was 10. It's on now on one of our Freesat channels but I can't bear to watch it. During one of my German History lectures at university a decade later we watched some other films from the time that make my flesh creep to this day just thinking about them (and they should make one's flesh creep). The fact that a fairly large number people deny the Holocaust happened at all makes my blood boil. And it won't be very long before there is nobody alive who can remember the war...
Visiting Auschwitz some years ago it occurred to me that until then I hadn't grasped the enormity of the crime against humanity.
People weren't sent there to be be out of the way and robbed, it was to be killed. What was stolen from was like a by-product of mass murder.

I had to see rooms full of hair, shoes, suitcases, crutches, whatever, to get it. Even then it's too much to comprehend.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Visiting Auschwitz some years ago it occurred to me that until then I hadn't grasped the enormity of the crime against humanity.
People weren't sent there to be be out of the way and robbed, it was to be killed. What was stolen from was like a by-product of mass murder.

I had to see rooms full of hair, shoes, suitcases, crutches, whatever, to get it. Even then it's too much to comprehend.
I went to the pink synogogue in Prague which has the names of all of the Czech people killed in thw holocaust it was a terribe but moving sight

detail-of-pinkas-synagogue-wall-covered-with-the-names-of-the-victims-of-the-holocaust-prague-...jpg

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
I went to the Gestapo Headquarters Museum in Cologne once which was a horrific place, I’m not sure I could cope with somewhere like Auschwitz.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Two suspects, surely...?
Nope, I believe the 'suspect' was actually the totally innocent Irish father who was carrying his tired child back to their accommodation.