• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Servant Boy Of Glamis Castle

Kim

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
On Friday my husband and I decided to visit Glamis Castle in Angus , Scotland. You are taken around the rooms by a tour guide . As we ventured up a step into the Queen Mothers room I suddenly felt very cold, shiverery and uneasy . I turned to my husband and actually hold him that i felt as if someone had died on this very spot.
Glamis castle is full of ghosts and is known to be the most haunted in Scotland.
We were told about a couple of the ghosts that roam the castle.
When I returned home I looked online for more information regarding Glamis and its ghosts.
I was rather un-nerved to read that a servant boy who was always getting upto mischief
used to sit on the stone step outside the Queen Mothers Room waiting for his orders. On one particularly cold winters night everybody forgot about him and never dismissed him for the night. He was found in the morning frozen to death in the very spot that I had told my husband someone had died!
He is also known to trip people up when they enter the Queen Mothers room !

a servant boy who was always getting upto mischief used to sit on the stone step outside the Queen Mothers Room waiting for his orders. On one particularly cold winters night everybody forgot about him and never dismissed him for the night. He was found in the morning frozen to death

I'm constantly amazed that people believe stories like this.

Last edited:
W

I am constantly amazed how many people are in this forum who don't believe in this kind of thing. Why are they on here in the first place !!

People here have differing interests, Not all "historical" tales are true or even credible.

What I find much more interesting in these cases are the actual experiences of the poster/observer.

W

I am constantly amazed how many people are in this forum who don't believe in this kind of thing. Why are they on here in the first place !!
Charles Fort, the chap that this site is named after said "To measure a circle, you can begin anywhere" ... he deliberately held no firm opinions but only gathered and repeated his found evidence.

Charles Fort, the chap that this site is named after said "To measure a circle, you can begin anywhere" ... he deliberately held no firm opinions but only gathered and repeated his found evidence.

This reminds me of something I tried to do last time I heard that quote, which was to try and come up with a sentence that could be written in a circle and would make sense from whichever word you chose to start from. I didm;t manage it :(

As for Glamis, it is on my list along with Dunottar, Eilean Donan and Dunrobin as Scottish castles I still intend to visit.

Think I've done Glamis, Duniottar and Eilean Donan.... is this like Munro bagging? :D

Reactions: Kim
Why are they on here in the first place !!

we all believe different things and have different starting places - hence the circle quotations above. Your posts are entirely valid and appropriate, please don't let one person either stop you posting or lead you to retaliate :D

Think I've done Glamis, Duniottar and Eilean Donan.... is this like Munro bagging? :D

:)

Most of mine have been around Deesside. Crathes, Craigievar, Drum... Stirling, Edinburgh, Urquhart as well. Don't think I went in Inverness.

Planning to do the west coast next summer so will tick off Eilean Donan. Might have time to tick off Dunottar next weekend but only over for a flying visit.

One of my favourite stories like the servant boy one was one I heard on a ghost walk in Edinburgh. It regarded a house or hall up on a hill outside the city centre where the offspring of a lord or some such was housed. He was an oversized, probably mentally unsound, lad and the story went that a servant boy or stable boy or some such ended up getting caught by the brute and eaten alive. Was a great blood-curdling yarn that I assume has some basis in truth. Anyone familiar with it?

Its worth noting that Belshazzar doubted the historical tale, not Kim's experiences.

I find Kim's story interesting but I think it unlikely that a servant boy froze to death because he was forgotten or that he tripped visitors on the way in.

Local legends are not Historical Fact.

This reminds me of something I tried to do last time I heard that quote, which was to try and come up with a sentence that could be written in a circle and would make sense from whichever word you chose to start from. I didm;t manage it :(

As for Glamis, it is on my list along with Dunottar, Eilean Donan and Dunrobin as Scottish castles I still intend to visit.
Been to quite a lot of castles in Scotland and so far Glamis Castle and Menzies Castle are my favourites!

Dunottar ticked off, it has a green lady ghost (unsighted) and is very scenic but some trek up and down the cliffs to get to it!

Someone I am related to was given a post as a nurse in Glamis Castle in the early 1960's. Apparently there were large areas of the castle which didn't have electricity and after enduring it for a few days, she left before the week was over. She said the place felt horrible.

Welcome to the forums, Fire!

I'd love to know more about Glamis from someone who was actually there. Are you still in contact? Did she tell you any specific stories?

I've heard more from my Mum who was her best friend in the 60's. I think my relative would rather forget the experience. I'm just told there were endless dark cooridoors she had to walk alone and she was given a lamp as there was no electricity. She hated the feel of the place and left. I'm not aware she ever saw anything though. Sorry. It was very brief.

I had a mildly interesting experience when visiting Glamis Castle (which I loved by the way - I can see why the Queen Mum loved it so much). We went on a tour and went into the chapel. As soon as we went in, everybody in the group sat down, including my husband. But I didn't sit down as it felt "wrong" somehow. So I am standing up on my own feeling rather self-conscious while the guide is talking about the chapel. They then told the story of someone (I can't remember the details, sorry) whose spirit was still said to walk etc and who always sat in that seat there (points to the seat next to my husband where I would have been sitting had I sat). I didn't otherwise get any bad feelings about it or find it creepy. Although it may have felt very different had I been on my own without lights!

So, four years later I have finally made it to Eilean Donan and I think I may have seen a ghost...

In the main bedroom there is a bed, obviously, and to the left of it a step up to a window. On the level where the window was there is a small open door leading around a corner...

I was stood by the bed and saw a small woman, dark hair and I'd say a dark skirt and cardigan step up into the opening, modern clothes but old lady clothes. There was a older portly man stood in front of me also on that raised level facing into the room.

It was very busy in the castle, as it seems to be across the whole of Western Scotland, so I waited for the man to move so I could step up and look out the window and then go through the passage I had seen the lady go into.

While I waited I remember briefly looking at a picture by the bed and then turning back to thed window. Eventually the old man moved on and I stepped up to the window and went to follow into the passage through the door where the woman had gone...

...except, there was no passage, only a very small alcove with no other exit, and, of course, no woman!

Now, I assume, she must have stepped back out and slipped round the man and past me in the few seconds I turned my gaze away to look at the picture by the bed. Can be the only logical explanation, otherwise this woman just disappeared into thin air...

So, four years later I have finally made it to Eilean Donan and I think I may have seen a ghost...

In the main bedroom there is a bed, obviously, and to the left of it a step up to a window. On the level where the window was there is a small open door leading around a corner...

I was stood by the bed and saw a small woman, dark hair and I'd say a dark skirt and cardigan step up into the opening, modern clothes but old lady clothes. There was a older portly man stood in front of me also on that raised level facing into the room.

It was very busy in the castle, as it seems to be across the whole of Western Scotland, so I waited for the man to move so I could step up and look out the window and then go through the passage I had seen the lady go into.

While I waited I remember briefly looking at a picture by the bed and then turning back to thed window. Eventually the old man moved on and I stepped up to the window and went to follow into the passage through the door where the woman had gone...

...except, there was no passage, only a very small alcove with no other exit, and, of course, no woman!

Now, I assume, she must have stepped back out and slipped round the man and past me in the few seconds I turned my gaze away to look at the picture by the bed. Can be the only logical explanation, otherwise this woman just disappeared into thin air...

Hi 'McAvennie.' If you believed that the old woman had moved along to go into a passage, then it may be worthwhile finding out if a passage ever existed at one time, in that particular area of Eilean Donan?

Back