• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

SETI (Search For Extraterrestrial Intelligence): Compendium / Miscellaneous

The NRO's website banner says"Freedoms sentinel in space"

Right.

Keeping us in or keeping them out?

I agree with Timble - if SETI had found such signals, I'm sure an announcement would have been made. This sort of thing simply sounds like more gumph from Greer, none of which ever seems to be based on any hard evidence. Claims about the NRO or NSA jamming such sugnals also aren't backed by any proof. It's difficult to take all of this seriously.

Jerry_B said:
I agree with Timble - if SETI had found such signals, I'm sure an announcement would have been made. This sort of thing simply sounds like more gumph from Greer, none of which ever seems to be based on any hard evidence. Claims about the NRO or NSA jamming such sugnals also aren't backed by any proof. It's difficult to take all of this seriously.

I'm just spreading the information.

I find it very strange that an organization supposedly dedicated to full public disclosure of such an important matter will only disclose what they know if you buy one of their books or give them money through their website.

More importantly...in case of actual contact and seen as use of sarcasm rarely travels across the web, let alone to different planets, we should take the opportunity to now point out that Daleks are NOT 'much loved TV characters'.

Just to be on the safe side.

Ok, examining just one facet of that story.

If the NSA or the NRO or the Deros for that matter were jamming any signals, wouldn't that stand out like a beacon? I mean, it may block the external signal, but it would lead to questioins about what is being blocked. It seems like this should be easily verifiable by any ham radio enthusiast.

Does the NSA or NRO even do such things with terrestrial signals ?!

Philo_T said:

If the NSA or the NRO or the Deros for that matter were jamming any signals, wouldn't that stand out like a beacon? I mean, it may block the external signal, but it would lead to questioins about what is being blocked. It seems like this should be easily verifiable by any ham radio enthusiast.

I'm not sure radio hammery comes into it.
Wasn't the point of Seti to scan the heavens and download the data to the multitude of PCs on standby and collate the information later?

jimv1 said:
Philo_T said:

I'm not sure radio hammery comes into it.
Wasn't the point of Seti to scan the heavens and download the data to the multitude of PCs on standby and collate the information later?

You're thinking of SETI@home, the distributed internet search program. SETI's a broader term that's been in use longer. Since the 60's at least.

jimv1 said:
.... Daleks are NOT 'much loved TV characters'.

Ah, but they ARE over here.

Of course that may be because the ex-ter-min-ating little salt shakers tended to land over there and NOT over here.

OldTimeRadio said:
jimv1 said:
.... Daleks are NOT 'much loved TV characters'.

Ah, but they ARE over here.

Of course that may be because the ex-ter-min-ating little salt shakers tended to land over there and NOT over here.
But, if they ever invade New york, or Washington, instead of London, then fully expect the President to declare a 'War On Space'.

randoma64.gif

..whereas Blair would be just "Tough on space, and tough on the causes of space."

For more information on wasting space, see Prescott, J.

Lol!! So the time has finally arrived...

...official intergalactic politics!! :? :lol:

According to Dr. Steven Greer, yes, SETI has received multiple extraterrestrial signals. This news he says, is confirmed by senior employees within the SETI program.

I’m not really up to date on Greer, but didn’t he have 400 witnesses?

The last SETI scare was the famous WOW Signal and the one before that was turned into the Pulsar Theory. Not really good value for money and listening to hissing for decades is likely to cause tinitus.

almond13 said:
The last SETI scare was the famous WOW Signal and the one before that was turned into the Pulsar Theory. Not really good value for money and listening to hissing for decades is likely to cause tinitus.
Perhaps you could expand on this statement, which you made on the Velikovsky thread:
almond13 said:
This is why SETI is a waste of time as radio signals are too slow for interstellar. Tesla used his scalar technology to achieve this. Try Keelynet there are some real scientists there and I’m sure that someone will have an interstellar communicator.

Jerry_B said:
almond13 said:
I’m not really up to date on Greer, but didn’t he have 400 witnesses?

Alleged witnesses... ;)

What 400 alleged witnesses or witnesses allegedly 400 of?

I meant a number of people who claim to have witnessed various things ;)

I've asked if you would mind expanding on this particular nugget over on the Contact! thread.

Hi stuneville

I have posted some stuff on “Come back Velikovsky…”
Hohman, R. E., "An Historic Report On Life In Space: Telsa, Marconi, Todd", 1962 report to the American Rocket Society. There is a copy of it here. http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/upd ... -015.shtml

It seems that several contacts were made at the time. I came across this ages ago and I must read it again. What brought it to mind was the interest in EVP at the time and I thought how similar the subjects were. Tesla was quite sure what the messages were, but this was used as an excuse to brand him a nut. I did a piece for FT at the time but it was rejected, I think that I’ve been tarred with the same brush. :D

The drake equation is one of my pet pseudoscientific hates. Not one element of the equation is a known quantity….utter bilge.
I’m told that the original reason for federal funding of SETI was to get the software in order to spy on us all. It was withdrawn soon after completion.

Heck, for that matter would the discovery of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe be that big of a change?

Look at it this way - it is pretty much accepted by the normal man on the street that life exists elsewhere in the universe, when presented with the facts. And remember, this man on the street has also had the idea of primitive life possibly existing or once existing on Mars to contend with for the last few years. And it hasn't changed life on earth one little bit.

Even if intelligent life is discovered, it wouldn't be like we could have a two way conversation with them - the distance would be too great. So we'd probably get a message along the lines of "Hello? Hello?" - not the cure for cancer.

In other words, SETI is a very interesting field of research. But not earthshaking even if it were wildly successful.

graylien said:
But would the discovery of some kind of primitive bacteria floating around on the moons of Jupiter really be that important after all?

Analis said:
There is at least one type of "life" based on silicon: Artificial Intelligence.

Oh really? Could you point out an example of Artificial Intelligence for me to understand this?

furby2006 said:
Look at it this way - it is pretty much accepted by the normal man on the street that life exists elsewhere in the universe, when presented with the facts. And remember, this man on the street has also had the idea of primitive life possibly existing or once existing on Mars to contend with for the last few years. And it hasn't changed life on earth one little bit.

This may be true, but there is no accounting for the reaction of the public when such opinions are given official sanction.

It is always interesting to see how the public will ignore or trivialise issues, only to become irrationally outspoken when such issues are officially acknowledged.

Of course, when you look at the usual explanation for public hysteria, the blame/explanation can be (and usually is) laid at the doorstep of the church.

As far as I can see, most religious types would take the news of ET encounters in their stride: probably finding some kind of self-deluding explanation in scripture to suggest that 'God' new about it all of the time. The rest of the religious nuts will no doubt claim that such ET contact is fake and the result of a government conspiracy.

This may be true, but there is no accounting for the reaction of the public when such opinions are given official sanction.

It is always interesting to see how the public will ignore or trivialise issues, only to become irrationally outspoken when such issues are officially acknowledged.

Of course, when you look at the usual explanation for public hysteria, the blame/explanation can be (and usually is) laid at the doorstep of the church.

As far as I can see, most religious types would take the news of ET encounters in their stride: probably finding some kind of self-deluding explanation in scripture to suggest that 'God' new about it all of the time. The rest of the religious nuts will no doubt claim that such ET contact is fake and the result of a government conspiracy.

I see a few problems with that. One the discovery of possible fossilized life on a rock from mars WAS officially sanctioned. And what it got greeted with was a flurry in vague interest, then people forgot about it.

I really doubt that the public would pay more than a weeks worth of attention to the discovery of intelligent alien life, unless that alien life was standing in front of them. Then they'd probably get two weeks... :)

Aliens. Interesting. Anyway who's up for eviction off Big Brother this week? And HOW THIN is Victoria Beckham??? OMG have you seen Keira Knightly in that dress?????

lemonpie3 said:
Aliens. Interesting. Anyway who's up for eviction off Big Brother this week? And HOW THIN is Victoria Beckham??? OMG have you seen Keira Knightly in that dress?????

WTF!? :?

furby2006 said:
....the discovery of possible fossilized life on a rock from mars WAS officially sanctioned. And what it got greeted with was a flurry in vague interest, then people forgot about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some debate about whether or not the Mars rock was an example of fossilized life?

Anyway, I would imagine (hope) that a reaction to a flesh and blood ET would be a lot different to a microbial specimen (live or fossil). You also have to take into account the possible scientific and technological impact an ET contact would generate. Much as it would be hard to imagine the world of today without the microchip, ET technology would have a major impact on our daily lives.

Much as it would be hard to imagine the world of today without the microchip, ET technology would have a major impact on our daily lives.

We already have alien technology, what about the Dyson?

almond13 said:
Much as it would be hard to imagine the world of today without the microchip, ET technology would have a major impact on our daily lives.

We already have alien technology, what about the Dyson?

It's crap - the Henry is much much better. Ask any cleaner.

Also, the Henry is a nice bright friendly orange with eyes that watch you.... :shock:

As a Fortean I would like to compare the performance of both brands of appliance, evaluating performance under various conditions.

It may also be worth looking at how certain variables may affect performance, such as full moons, Friday the 13th or the Summer solstice.

You could also compare performance of such devices before and after prayer, or perhaps after some kind of Voodoo ritual ;)

Obviously the above is all meant in jest, but in all seriousness, the Henry isn't all its cracked up to be. It's fine for industrial mess, but as a domestic cleaner it sucks (not in a good way). Alien or not, the Dyson is however a fantastic piece of equipment and other brands/designs are pathetic by comparison..........curses not withstanding.

Dyson cleaners were developed by an ancient alien race to clean Dyson spheres. Of course you need a very long extension...

lemonpie3 said:

Quite!...I think people who are interested in stuff like aliens fail to realise just how uninteresting everyone else finds it. You may think space exploration is wonderful, but look in W H Smith and you'll find about two astronomy magazines and two hundred on the sex lives of the latest Love Island/Big Brother ejectees, Jordan's boobs latest, Paris Hilton's pregnancy etc.

The aliens just aren't going to make a ripple in the public consciousness unless they can annihilate a few cities with a great show of special effects, or morph themselves into aspiring starlets.

Back