SETI To Make Contact Within 25 Years

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
If telepathy works (dubious) how could it possibly work between species with differently-evolved brains? There would be no shared language or mental architecture.

Hmm- maybe a sufficiently advanced alien civilisation could transmit coherent signals into the mind of a sensitive person. But the receiving individual would have no control over the messages received by this channel, and no way of checking the veracity of messages received in this way.
Not that I think that telepathy would work, but...

If the receiving individual were to use the information received to do something extraordinary (person with no medical training provably curing cancer being a hypothetical one), and then on being asked where they got the idea, say "aliens told me", society would certainly do a double-take.

eburacum

Papo-furado
Sufficiently advanced aliens should be able to perform a wide range of apparently miraculous actions. Although I doubt they would be able to do everything one could imagine or desire, they should be able to do most of it.

I should note, however, that the pattern of physical and mental states inside the mind of a human (or an intelligent alien) is probably as complex as any system of data is likely to get, so hacking into such a system would be extremely challenging.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting

feinman

Abominable Snowman
Instead of paying attention to what is coming here, scientists are making ridiculous unfounded claims about meeting ETs in 20 years... Sigh.
Seth Shostak (D'oh!!):
"The Pentagon has fessed up, and it seems that observers who accused it of hiding information about possible alien visitors were right. A New York Times report revealed that Harry Reid initiated a program to investigate the UFO phenomenon that lasted five years and cost taxpayers $22 million.
But it's hardly an unalloyed victory. The good news for those who believe the government has covered up an extraterrestrial presence is that they can retire their tinfoil hats. The bad news is that the study didn't produce unambiguous evidence that E.T. is sailing the skies in high-tech, interstellar Frisbees."

Hang in there Seth, and prepare for future apologies :cool:

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
If they have been here for a while they might know more about us than we do; entomologists know more about ants than ants know about ants. We are already hacking our thoughts and we are just primitive simians:
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/02/mind-reading-ai-creates-images-from-your-thoughts/

Also - can we just drop this idea that we are just an idiotic species? We have nothing to compare ourselves with. We have left our planet's orbit. We could pretty much go to another planet if we had the desire. We built the Pyramids with a couple of rocks and a wooden ramp - this is impressive stuff.

If an alien race had the capacity to travel across the void physically they'd announce it. All this prime-directive stuff is a load of rubbish. "Yeah we didn't interfere and they destroyed themselves taking down millions of other species as well."

It's this belief that we are the only thing that an alien species would be interested in that really pisses me off.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
We don;t know those things about ourselves unless we read literature about it or have training and we consider ourselves higher animals. You think they know what chemicals are in their venom?
That doesn't prove that they don't "know" about themselves though does it? Or we "know" more about them than they know about each other? I reckon that their ability to form super-colonies suggest they have some understanding of each other that far out-stripes our own primate-intellectual understanding.

Last edited:

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Also - can we just drop this idea that we are just an idiotic species? We have nothing to compare ourselves with. We have left our planet's orbit. We could pretty much go to another planet if we had the desire. We built the Pyramids with a couple of rocks and a wooden ramp - this is impressive stuff.

If an alien race had the capacity to travel across the void physically they'd announce it. All this prime-directive stuff is a load of rubbish. "Yeah we didn't interfere and they destroyed themselves taking down millions of other species as well."

That argument always suggests that aliens are idiots and only interested in us and not anything else on this planet.

It's this belief that we are the only thing that an alien species would be interested in that really pisses me off.
Well said.....there is a lot of rubbish being said by those that support the idea aliens are here.
I agree that the Prime Directive idea ..once again..is a human concept..we have no reason to think aliens would use it.
I also think that any intelligent race who manged to find their way here would want to communicate openly unless they had hostile intentions or were so far beyond us it was a waste of time for them...and if that's the case I seriously doubt they would hang around cking us out as the believers think for the last 50 years.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Gentlemen, it would be a lot nicer for everybody reading this and the other thread your are participating in if you would both refrain from short sharp posts which say little.

giphy.gif

Engage, discuss and rebut if you wish, but please keep it friendly.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient

That argument always suggests that aliens are idiots and only interested in us and not anything else on this planet.

We are, by orders of magnitude, the most intelligent species ever to evolve on Earth.
We are though, appallingly bellicose and tribal.

For every astonishing achievement - building the Wonders of the World, metallurgy, democracy, space flight, the Internet etc. there is war, religious persecution, torture, slavery and such like.

The 20th century saw amazing technological advancement, but was also the bloodiest in humankind's history.

If any advanced alien species is observing us, they must be scratching their heads or other unidentifiable protuberances in utter bemusement that the likes of Islamic State can justify mass murder because their victims don't believe in the same mythical entity that they do.

eburacum

Papo-furado
Hang in there Seth, and prepare for future apologies :cool:
They will be very far future apologies, I'm afraid. If there are aliens flying about in our skies, they have been doing so for at least 72 years, and perhaps much longer. Practically none of the witnesses in 1947 are still around to find out if the ET hypothesis is correct. Be prepared to wait at least another 72 years, and possibly for ever.

feinman

Abominable Snowman
We know about their environment, diseases, social structure, physical anatomy. Heck we have even created robotic insects. Ants are simpler machines than humans. I think we know more about them then they do. Okay, break over.
that doesn't prove anything.

feinman

Abominable Snowman
[URL='https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?goto/post&id=1862933' said:
Naughty_Felid said:[/URL]
that doesn't prove anything.
So they have a way to accumulate and transmit knowledge about themselves and their discoveries about themselves to future generations with language, or do they just use chemical signals? We can make ants. Can ants make robotic ants from studying themselves? er.. =No.:
https://www.bbc.com/news/21956795

feinman

Abominable Snowman
They will be very far future apologies, I'm afraid. If there are aliens flying about in our skies, they have been doing so for at least 72 years, and perhaps much longer. Practically none of the witnesses in 1947 are still around to find out if the ET hypothesis is correct. Be prepared to wait at least another 72 years, and possibly for ever.
I think things have changed since the '40s, though. There has been an uptick in the phenomenon as reported by the military; it seems as with the '40s and '50s the objects have taken an interest again --I think they can tell that the world situation is very serious. I think it might come to a head sometime soon, possibly in my (our) lifetimes.

eburacum

Papo-furado
There has not been an uptick, by the way- that's just a lie put about by the likes of DeLonge and co. These events happened more than ten years ago.

feinman

Abominable Snowman
There has not been an uptick, by the way- that's just a lie put about by the likes of DeLonge and co. These events happened more than ten years ago.
"A recent uptick in sightings of unidentified flying objects — or as the military calls them, “unexplained aerial phenomena” — prompted the Navy to draft formal procedures for pilots to document encounters, a corrective measure that former officials say is long overdue.

As first reported by POLITICO, these intrusions have been happening on a regular basis since 2014. Recently, unidentified aircraft have entered military-designated airspace as often as multiple times per month, Joseph Gradisher, spokesman for office of the deputy chief of naval operations for information warfare, told The Washington Post on Wednesday.

Citing safety and security concerns, Gradisher vowed to “investigate each and every report.”

He said, “We want to get to the bottom of this. We need to determine who’s doing it, where it’s coming from and what their intent is. We need to try to find ways to prevent it from happening again.”

https://thehill.com/opinion/nationa...wn-force-flying-overhead-congress-should-find

"Since 2015, dozens of Navy F-18 fighter jets have encountered unidentified aerial phenomenon (UAPs) — once commonly referred to as UFOs — off the East Coast of the United States, some not far from the nation’s capital. Encounters have been reported by other military aircraft and civilian airliners elsewhere in the U.S. and abroad, too, including videos shot by airline passengers."

feinman

Abominable Snowman
http://time.com/5577853/navy-ufo-reporting-guidelines/

"A recent surge in spottings of unidentified flying objects, or UFOs, has prompted the Navy to create formalized guidelines for reporting sightings, according to the Washington Post.

The Post reports that naval officers have spotted an increasing number of mysterious aircraft, which the military calls “unexplained aerial phenomena.” These sightings have sometimes occurred within military airspace.

“Pilots are upset, and they’re trying to help wake up a slumbering system,” Chris Mellon, a former deputy assistant secretary of defense for intelligence and staffer on the Senate Intelligence Committee, told the Post.

Mellon estimates that there are dozens of incidents each year, which is forcing the Navy’s hand in addressing the issue. Some hope that streamlined guidelines will help make it more acceptable to report these incidents, which pilots have sometimes refrained from discussing due to stigma."

eburacum

Papo-furado
"As often as multiple times per month" means that more than one event has happened in a particular month. It does not mean that there are more events occuring. These carefully edited 'quotes' are all examples of media spin. Nothing has changed.

eburacum

Papo-furado
Now that the Navy is making reporting these events easier, we will see an uptick in reports- but that still doesn't mean that they are happening more frequently, or that they are more significant.

feinman

Abominable Snowman
"As often as multiple times per month" means that more than one event has happened in a particular month. It does not mean that there are more events occuring. These carefully edited 'quotes' are all examples of media spin. Nothing has changed.
That would be a lot of interference --even once a month would be lot, imo. More frequent than past waves, and interacting with the military.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
So they have a way to accumulate and transmit knowledge about themselves and their discoveries about themselves to future generations with language, or do they just use chemical signals? We can make ants. Can ants make robotic ants from studying themselves? er.. =No.:
https://www.bbc.com/news/21956795
Why would they if they don't need to do it? I'd get into this more because you've suggested I'm an idiot, but I've been told off by Yith and so I won't go into it further.

The whole point of considering alien species is not to attribute human characteristics to them. Like um ants for example? Do ants have twitter and Instagram - who knows?

Last edited: