• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

SETI (Search For Extraterrestrial Intelligence): Compendium / Miscellaneous

If they have been here for a while they might know more about us than we do; entomologists know more about ants than ants know about ants. We are already hacking our thoughts and we are just primitive simians:
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/02/mind-reading-ai-creates-images-from-your-thoughts/

Also - can we just drop this idea that we are just an idiotic species? We have nothing to compare ourselves with. We have left our planet's orbit. We could pretty much go to another planet if we had the desire. We built the Pyramids with a couple of rocks and a wooden ramp - this is impressive stuff.

If an alien race had the capacity to travel across the void physically they'd announce it. All this prime-directive stuff is a load of rubbish. "Yeah we didn't interfere and they destroyed themselves taking down millions of other species as well."

It's this belief that we are the only thing that an alien species would be interested in that really pisses me off.

Last edited:
We don;t know those things about ourselves unless we read literature about it or have training and we consider ourselves higher animals. You think they know what chemicals are in their venom?

That doesn't prove that they don't "know" about themselves though does it? Or we "know" more about them than they know about each other? I reckon that their ability to form super-colonies suggest they have some understanding of each other that far out-stripes our own primate-intellectual understanding.

Last edited:
Also - can we just drop this idea that we are just an idiotic species? We have nothing to compare ourselves with. We have left our planet's orbit. We could pretty much go to another planet if we had the desire. We built the Pyramids with a couple of rocks and a wooden ramp - this is impressive stuff.

If an alien race had the capacity to travel across the void physically they'd announce it. All this prime-directive stuff is a load of rubbish. "Yeah we didn't interfere and they destroyed themselves taking down millions of other species as well."

That argument always suggests that aliens are idiots and only interested in us and not anything else on this planet.

It's this belief that we are the only thing that an alien species would be interested in that really pisses me off.
Well said.....there is a lot of rubbish being said by those that support the idea aliens are here.
I agree that the Prime Directive idea ..once again..is a human concept..we have no reason to think aliens would use it.
I also think that any intelligent race who manged to find their way here would want to communicate openly unless they had hostile intentions or were so far beyond us it was a waste of time for them...and if that's the case I seriously doubt they would hang around cking us out as the believers think for the last 50 years.

Gentlemen, it would be a lot nicer for everybody reading this and the other thread your are participating in if you would both refrain from short sharp posts which say little.

giphy.gif

Engage, discuss and rebut if you wish, but please keep it friendly.

That argument always suggests that aliens are idiots and only interested in us and not anything else on this planet.

We are, by orders of magnitude, the most intelligent species ever to evolve on Earth.
We are though, appallingly bellicose and tribal.

For every astonishing achievement - building the Wonders of the World, metallurgy, democracy, space flight, the Internet etc. there is war, religious persecution, torture, slavery and such like.

The 20th century saw amazing technological advancement, but was also the bloodiest in humankind's history.

If any advanced alien species is observing us, they must be scratching their heads or other unidentifiable protuberances in utter bemusement that the likes of Islamic State can justify mass murder because their victims don't believe in the same mythical entity that they do.

Hang in there Seth, and prepare for future apologies :cool:
They will be very far future apologies, I'm afraid. If there are aliens flying about in our skies, they have been doing so for at least 72 years, and perhaps much longer. Practically none of the witnesses in 1947 are still around to find out if the ET hypothesis is correct. Be prepared to wait at least another 72 years, and possibly for ever.

We know about their environment, diseases, social structure, physical anatomy. Heck we have even created robotic insects. Ants are simpler machines than humans. I think we know more about them then they do. Okay, break over.
that doesn't prove anything.

[URL='https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?goto/post&id=1862933' said:
Naughty_Felid said:[/URL]
that doesn't prove anything.
So they have a way to accumulate and transmit knowledge about themselves and their discoveries about themselves to future generations with language, or do they just use chemical signals? We can make ants. Can ants make robotic ants from studying themselves? er.. =No.:
https://www.bbc.com/news/21956795

They will be very far future apologies, I'm afraid. If there are aliens flying about in our skies, they have been doing so for at least 72 years, and perhaps much longer. Practically none of the witnesses in 1947 are still around to find out if the ET hypothesis is correct. Be prepared to wait at least another 72 years, and possibly for ever.
I think things have changed since the '40s, though. There has been an uptick in the phenomenon as reported by the military; it seems as with the '40s and '50s the objects have taken an interest again --I think they can tell that the world situation is very serious. I think it might come to a head sometime soon, possibly in my (our) lifetimes.

There has not been an uptick, by the way- that's just a lie put about by the likes of DeLonge and co. These events happened more than ten years ago.

There has not been an uptick, by the way- that's just a lie put about by the likes of DeLonge and co. These events happened more than ten years ago.

"A recent uptick in sightings of unidentified flying objects — or as the military calls them, “unexplained aerial phenomena” — prompted the Navy to draft formal procedures for pilots to document encounters, a corrective measure that former officials say is long overdue.

As first reported by POLITICO, these intrusions have been happening on a regular basis since 2014. Recently, unidentified aircraft have entered military-designated airspace as often as multiple times per month, Joseph Gradisher, spokesman for office of the deputy chief of naval operations for information warfare, told The Washington Post on Wednesday.

Citing safety and security concerns, Gradisher vowed to “investigate each and every report.”

He said, “We want to get to the bottom of this. We need to determine who’s doing it, where it’s coming from and what their intent is. We need to try to find ways to prevent it from happening again.”

https://thehill.com/opinion/nationa...wn-force-flying-overhead-congress-should-find

"Since 2015, dozens of Navy F-18 fighter jets have encountered unidentified aerial phenomenon (UAPs) — once commonly referred to as UFOs — off the East Coast of the United States, some not far from the nation’s capital. Encounters have been reported by other military aircraft and civilian airliners elsewhere in the U.S. and abroad, too, including videos shot by airline passengers."

http://time.com/5577853/navy-ufo-reporting-guidelines/

"A recent surge in spottings of unidentified flying objects, or UFOs, has prompted the Navy to create formalized guidelines for reporting sightings, according to the Washington Post.

The Post reports that naval officers have spotted an increasing number of mysterious aircraft, which the military calls “unexplained aerial phenomena.” These sightings have sometimes occurred within military airspace.

“Pilots are upset, and they’re trying to help wake up a slumbering system,” Chris Mellon, a former deputy assistant secretary of defense for intelligence and staffer on the Senate Intelligence Committee, told the Post.

Mellon estimates that there are dozens of incidents each year, which is forcing the Navy’s hand in addressing the issue. Some hope that streamlined guidelines will help make it more acceptable to report these incidents, which pilots have sometimes refrained from discussing due to stigma."

"As often as multiple times per month" means that more than one event has happened in a particular month. It does not mean that there are more events occuring. These carefully edited 'quotes' are all examples of media spin. Nothing has changed.

Now that the Navy is making reporting these events easier, we will see an uptick in reports- but that still doesn't mean that they are happening more frequently, or that they are more significant.

"As often as multiple times per month" means that more than one event has happened in a particular month. It does not mean that there are more events occuring. These carefully edited 'quotes' are all examples of media spin. Nothing has changed.
That would be a lot of interference --even once a month would be lot, imo. More frequent than past waves, and interacting with the military.

So they have a way to accumulate and transmit knowledge about themselves and their discoveries about themselves to future generations with language, or do they just use chemical signals? We can make ants. Can ants make robotic ants from studying themselves? er.. =No.:
https://www.bbc.com/news/21956795

Why would they if they don't need to do it? I'd get into this more because you've suggested I'm an idiot, but I've been told off by Yith and so I won't go into it further.

The whole point of considering alien species is not to attribute human characteristics to them. Like um ants for example? Do ants have twitter and Instagram - who knows?

Last edited:
Why would they if they don't need to do it? I'd get into this more because you've suggested I'm an idiot, but I've been told off by Yith and so I won't go into it further.

The whole point of considering alien species is not to attribute human characteristics to them. Like um ants for example? Do ants have twitter and Instagram - who knows?
I just don't think our species would be that hard to figure out, but it's certainly fine if others do. It's not a matter of having a first-person existential experience of "antness", just need to know how they operate and think. Something advanced enough to create UFOs, wouldn't take 200 years to understand humans; they'd be experimenting on us and have the !evel of control and abilities Eburacum suggested in a previous post.

Just think about everything you do when you wake up, all the stuff you do.

Cats and dogs- look at what they do?

You've got Spiders in the corners of a place you own - what are they doing?

Look at bedbugs - what are they doing?

It's not that simple just assuming that a magical species are turning up and saying we need to talk to the humans.

I don't think they are interested in just us. Some devices come out of the oceans, there seems to be an interest in the geography and composition of the earth. There is no Prime Directive, as they've been interacting for a long time. I think we are seen as a destructive force in an oasis of wonderful life, and an eye must be kept on us lest we blow it all up. Or maybe they are just interested in us at this momentous point in our history.

And I can only repeat what I have said before- a humanoid alien would not share any of our evolutionary past, so would have significantly different body plan to a human. It would not be a vertebrate sensu strictu, for example, so would need to have evolved an erect skeletal structure from an entirely different starting point. The taxon 'vertebrate' is not found anywhere except on Earth, and if there are any creatures with backbones out there in the universe they will have as many differences as similarities to vertebrates on Earth.

eburacum,

I agree that exo-biologists generally believe that ("should there actually be") other aliens (if there are, we also then are aliens), would most probably exhibit a large diversity of form. Drs. Jim Funaro and Ira Reed(sp?) of Cabrillo.edu, an anthropology school, for several years hosted a few of the annual the NASA "Culture Of The Imagination" COTI 'Contact' conference[1][2].
These conferences are attended by thousands of scientists world wide, who are interested in the many disciplines of the alien subject. Jim Funaro's entire schema 'schtick' is alien diversity. Any exo-biologist of any import attends. UFOologists are not welcome, anymore than morticians are at an cryo-extended-life expo! I was invited due to my search model I was promoting in those days and while it doesn't mean very much, my website was the first of only a very few to be linked on the NIDS website. I was invited by the NIDS research director and I was introduced to Bob Bigelow, he was hob-knobbing with John Peterson of the 'Peterson Institute', a consultant to the Office of the President, during Clinton's administration. In my hotel room at the venue, I was demonstrating my ETp, Luminous-Orb interaction experiment platform[3] to a group of NASA scientist & NIDS people. John Peterson, in disgust, threw up his hands and left my hotel room, when I explained that luminous-orbs (BOLs, NLP, Ignacious-Corpus, Corpse-Candles, Marfa-Lights, Spook Lanterns, etc, to cite a few of the 1200 or so names assigned to the objects) are often seen in cemetaries hovering around the plots of recently buried Jewish people. The others hung around. Orthodox Jewish via religious doctrine are mandated to be buried, intact, within 24 hours of their transition. These type 'orbs', appx the size of a large cantaloupe, and which are seeable with the unaided eye, have historically been associated with cemetaries. They might not be ET, but what exactly is the definition of ET? EBE not normally around here? However that may be, these objects have been reported in numerous disparate circumstances, locations, and scenarios, such as scenes of intense violence, the so-called "foo-fighters" of the WW-II European Aerial Combat Theatre, invasion beaches of Normandy. I was given daylight UPI photos that were taken clandestinely during a mass execution of Cambodians by Communist Chinese Military during the 1960~1970 US Vietnam War. They are often sighted exiting out the bottoms of discs. These luminous-orb objects among other characteristics, change colors apparently dependant upon different circumstances. It is my opinion that I have the mapped the colors. However, there are behaviors exhibited that I and other LO investigators do not understand. These objects are clearly intelligent, exhibit awareness of Human thinking and frequently alter their physical behavior persuant to intent, such as 'disappearing' the instant before a photo is snapped. They don't have appendages or eyes or ears, etc. They do not think like us, but they are telepathic or perhaps their version of mecha are? In any case there are many instances which illustrate that these objects respond to Human unspoken intentions and frequently do so at considerable distance, however, that behavior is not just unique to luminous-orbs. If they employ EMF strategies, it is very good, as I have expended considerable effort to shield any tempest that might be radiated in my instrumentation apparati and it did no good. I used my calibrated HP-8568B[3] for the studies, and anything else I could apply or conjure.

Dr. Reed & Funaro weave the course via environmental influences, in that they believe, and rightfully so, I suspect, that the environment is a major element in the physical evolution of a specis. Once a year, they challenge the local area high-schools with some contest and the two school winner teams, then using software programs that Cabrillo.edu developed, the team members select environment constraints which then are used to semi-auto-generate a physical formed EBE as derived in part from the world environment that they designed. The high-school team members then learn the traits of those EBEs, their forms and sensory advantages and disadvantages (inherently via comparison with Humanoids), putting on costumes to play the part of the EBEs that they co-created. On the last day of the conference the two teams are allowed first contact with each other, on stage, playing the roles of the EBEs working through difficulties of their physical inequalities and constraints of the physical forms. It is a fascinating expose. For myself it is the most interesting demonstration of the conference. Everyone is there including SETI, SETA, SETV.

Its a fun conference.

plutronus

1) COTI - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_Conference
2) Contact Conference: http://www.contact-conference.com
3) ETp - Luminous-Orb Contact Experiment -
ETp_2652c.jpg

4) HP-8568B Spectrum Analyzer -
20180213_000121_1008x756.jpg

Last edited:
Something advanced enough to create UFOs, wouldn't take 200 years to understand humans; they'd be experimenting on us and have the !evel of control and abilities Eburacum suggested in a previous post.
If there is an advanced alien civilisation that has been monitoring us with hypertechnology for upwards of 72 years, maybe we should submit a class action against them when they finally bother to make contact. All the billions of people that have died in agony from diseases that they could have treated, or from poverty that they could have alleviated, even from old age that they could have ameliorated, have died while those callous bastards have been joyriding around in the skies.

Something tells me that if they are out there, just watching and sitting on their hands, they have a serious attitude problem.

I think this is contact, as much as we can handle. We couldn't deal with a regular visible alien presence; we can barely deal with different races here on earth. Actually, one of the reasons Elizondo left the UFO program is because religious folks in the government were keen on seeing them as demonic manifestations... Imagine what whackadoodles would do.. This form of contact, where the superpowers and militaries know they exist and a program of contact with civilians across the world has led to much of the population believing in them, and many people having seen them, is the best strategy for contact. Take a look at the sightings map and superimpose the years, and there are is a lot of interaction, even if you throw half or two thirds of them out. The real plan for contact is not to show up Independence Day style, but rather to insinuate yourself gradually into the reality of another civilization, so as not to cause a tipping point. That eay, when activity or intervention happens the level of contact will gradually ramp up.

Back