• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Severed Leg (And Feet) Mysteries

I would think medical waste would be incinerated. I would also be a little surprised someone would make it all the way to medical school and risk it all for a prank. Like engineering students take apart a car and put it re assemble it in someones dorm room. Stealing body parts seems pretty extreme and criminal for a prank.
At least the severed feet in my area in Canada keep washing up on shore instead of being found on dry land...

I was under the impression that they were older specimens from a private medical collection or something. I'm sure I saw something on the news saying that the police were certain that they came from one private source. I presume that they marked in some way. They also shows signs of animals gnawing at them.

They speculated that someone maybe inherited a collection and not knowing what to do with them, buried them somewhere only for animals to later dig them up and drag them around.

I've read that those feet washing in from the sea are from drowned corpses. Fishes etc eat the bodies but can't nibble through leather footwear.

I read that too - it seems sensible.

The other theory is that the reptilians don't eat feet.

my life is so limited :(
Don't worry, Frides. When I go (tuesday 16 march 2048), I'll leave my collection of human hair to you. It's all categorized by colour, strength, weight, dry/normal/greasy etc.

Every lock has been secretly collected from women I stand next to on the underground. I clip a little from the back so that they don't notice. I get them out to have sniff on "special occasions".

(I'm joking)

I never sniff them.

Hope they find some Banksy graffiti on bits of rizzla shoved under the toenails like in silence of the lambs. ;)

Severed foot found in woods in Cornwall - here's what we know so far
By CGAlex | Posted: October 22, 2016

A severed foot was discovered by a dog walker in woods near Truro on Thursday afternoon.

Police have cordoned off an area of woodland at Nansavallan as investigations get underway.

Here's what we know so far about the incident.

*Police were called in the late afternoon on Thursday, October 20
Emergency services were called to Nansavallan woods, near Truro at around 5pm after reports a member of the public had found a severed foot inside a boot.

*Missing man Lee Gilbert's family has been informed of the discovery
Although there's been no confirmation as to who the foot belonged to , Devon and Cornwall Police have notified the family of missing man Lee Gilbert from the Penryn area.

A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police said: "Although it [the foot] has not been formally identified, the mother of missing Lee Gilbert has been informed and we are giving her support."

*Who is Lee Gilbert?
Lee Gilbert , 39, from Penryn was reported missing by a family member on Monday, June 13, this year.

He had not been seen since Thursday, June 9, when he was spotted
on camera at Truro train station. His disappearance was said to be out of character.

Lee is described as white, 5ft 3ins in height, of medium build, with brown greying hair which is balding at the back.
He is believed to have been wearing brown Karrimor hiking boots, and carrying a small black rucksack at the time of his disappearance.

Police put out an appeal for anyone with information about his whereabouts in late June, though he was never traced.

*An area of woodland has been cordoned off
Officers say they haven't completely closed the woods, but have put up a police cordon around the area where the foot was found.

*Do the police suspect foul play?
There's no suggestion that any criminal activity has taken place, and officers have confirmed that they are treating the incident as "non-suspicious" at this time. Police said the coroner has been informed.

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/severed-foot-found-in-woods-in-cornwall-here-s-what-we-know-so-far/story-29831563-detail/story.html

The railway from Truro to Falmouth runs on an embankment alongside Nansavallan woods, only about a km outside Truro. But it's hard to envisage a scenario where a foot is severed and ends up in the woods... at least no boats seem to be involved.

Police divers drafted in to search stream after more human remains found in Truro woods
WBCaroline | Posted: October 25, 2016

A police dive team has been drafted in to a search a stream bed after further human remains were found in a Truro wood.

The huge search was sparked after a dog walker discovered a foot, which remained inside a walking boot, on Thursday evening while visiting the privately-owned Nansavallan Woods at Kea.

Police officers called to the woods over the weekend to scour the secluded site and discovered what is believed to be further humans remains and personal items. The family of missing man Lee Gilbert, from Penryn, have been informed about the search.
Mr Gilbert disappeared on Thursday, June 9 and has not been seen for the last four months. Although formal identification is yet to take place Mr Gilbert's family are being supported by police.

Parts of the wood including an area called Fox Corner were cordoned off with police tape after the searches were conducted.

A Devon and Cornwall Police spokesman told the West Briton: "Further skeletal remains have been located within the area of Nansavallan Woods in Truro.
"These will be submitted for forensic examination to assist with identification processes. Whilst formal identification has not been possible at this time the next of kin of missing person, Lee Gilbert, have been updated.
"Searches are continuing in the area of Nansavallan Woods and the Police Dive Team is continuing to search a stream bed."
Devon and Cornwall Police have stated that it currently does not believe there to be any suspicious circumstances and the coroner has been advised of these latest developments.

Mr Gilbert, 39, was reported missing by his mum Marie Hocking, who lives in Truro, on June 13 after she became concerned about his whereabouts.
Her son was due to visit her but he never turned up.

He was spotted in camera at Truro train station on Thursday, June 9 and a police investigation found that his bus pass was handed in on the same day to a bus driver.

However, details of how and where the card was found remain unknown and officers still appealing to the person who handed it in. He is believed to have been wearing brown Karrimor hiking boots, and carrying a small black rucksack at the time of his disappearance.

Speaking in August, his mum said: "It is terrible not knowing where he is or what he is doing. The last time I saw and spoke to him he was laughing and joking, his normal self.
"He was supposed to come over and I stayed up until midnight and he never came, so I reported him missing."

At the time his mother said she didn't think her son was in the county and may have travelled to Devon, adding: "I think he doesn't want to be found, he wants some time away from everything.
"He has never done anything like this before, even when he was depressed."
Mr Gilbert had worked at the British Heart Foundation shop in Truro.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/8203-po...-truro-woods/story-29839288-detail/story.html

The stream mentioned arcs around the north side of Nansavallan wood, then heads SE and becomes Calenick Creek shortly before it joins the Truro river.

(I don't post on here very often but I wanted to say something about the severed feet!)

My dad's friend had a yacht and one day severed one of his feet. It happened very easily - he didn't realise some rope was round his ankle, and as the yacht sailed away from the harbour, the rope tightened and lobbed off his foot. His wife ran to the nearest pub and put the severed foot in an ice bucket, but it couldn't be sewn back on.

My thinking is that the severed feet that turn up belong to sailors who've had a similarly unfortunate altercation with rope on boats, but that the foot went overboard so they didn't have a chance to try to save it.

Bloody hell!

Severed foot found in woods in Cornwall - here's what we know so far
By CGAlex | Posted: October 22, 2016

A severed foot was discovered by a dog walker in woods near Truro on Thursday afternoon.

Police have cordoned off an area of woodland at Nansavallan as investigations get underway.

Here's what we know so far about the incident.

*Police were called in the late afternoon on Thursday, October 20
Emergency services were called to Nansavallan woods, near Truro at around 5pm after reports a member of the public had found a severed foot inside a boot.

*Missing man Lee Gilbert's family has been informed of the discovery
Although there's been no confirmation as to who the foot belonged to , Devon and Cornwall Police have notified the family of missing man Lee Gilbert from the Penryn area.

A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police said: "Although it [the foot] has not been formally identified, the mother of missing Lee Gilbert has been informed and we are giving her support."

*Who is Lee Gilbert?
Lee Gilbert , 39, from Penryn was reported missing by a family member on Monday, June 13, this year.

He had not been seen since Thursday, June 9, when he was spotted
on camera at Truro train station. His disappearance was said to be out of character.

Lee is described as white, 5ft 3ins in height, of medium build, with brown greying hair which is balding at the back.
He is believed to have been wearing brown Karrimor hiking boots, and carrying a small black rucksack at the time of his disappearance.

Police put out an appeal for anyone with information about his whereabouts in late June, though he was never traced.

*An area of woodland has been cordoned off
Officers say they haven't completely closed the woods, but have put up a police cordon around the area where the foot was found.

*Do the police suspect foul play?
There's no suggestion that any criminal activity has taken place, and officers have confirmed that they are treating the incident as "non-suspicious" at this time. Police said the coroner has been informed.

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/severed-foot-found-in-woods-in-cornwall-here-s-what-we-know-so-far/story-29831563-detail/story.html

The railway from Truro to Falmouth runs on an embankment alongside Nansavallan woods, only about a km outside Truro. But it's hard to envisage a scenario where a foot is severed and ends up in the woods... at least no boats seem to be involved.

Might be similar to another case that occurred fairly recently - not a foot but an arm and hand which dropped to the ground and then led to the discovery of a body that has been in a tree above a golf course for almost three years. I would surmise the tree was a conifer (so never dropped leaves) and apparently he was found 40ft up in the branches.

Very sad story of a young man who committed suicide then ... no-one found him. His family appealed for information when he went missing in April 2011 but he wasn't found until March 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-26922479

"A body found in a tree at a Bournemouth golf club is believed to be that of a missing Lithuanian man, police have said.

Jurij Sliachtecov, 21, went missing from Bournemouth in April 2011. His next of kin have been informed.

Dorset Police said they were not treating the death as suspicious.

A dog discovered an arm at Meyrick Park Golf Club on 31 March. More body parts were found the following day."

Identification of human remains found in Truro woods expected this week as search is called off
By WBgdavies | Posted: November 01, 2016

A search of woodland in Truro where human remains have been discovered has been called off after eleven days. Police said they hope to be able to confirm identification by the end of the week.

It's believed the remains, found in Nansavallan Woods are that of Lee Gilbert, 39, who disappeared from his home in Penryn in June. His elderly mother Marie Hocking and his family have been informed and are being given police support.

Since a severed foot in a walking boot was discovered on October 20 by a dog walker, police searches uncovered further remains and personal items in the woods and at the nature reserve.
Areas of the privately-owned woods at Kea were cordoned off while police officers scoured the area for further remains.

A police spokesman said: "Since the initial discovery of a foot bone, more skeletal remains were located in the area of the river in Nansavallan Woods.
"These have been submitted for forensic examination to assist with identification of the remains and the results are expected back at the end of the week, although we should stress that we cannot guarantee that timescale.
"The police dive team completed a further search of the waterways in the area including some of the difficult to access culverts. Police have now completed their searches of the area."

http://www.cornishman.co.uk/search-...uro-woodland/story-29858887-detail/story.html

Identification of human remains found in Truro woods expected this week as search is called off
By WBgdavies | Posted: November 01, 2016

A search of woodland in Truro where human remains have been discovered has been called off after eleven days. Police said they hope to be able to confirm identification by the end of the week.
It's believed the remains, found in Nansavallan Woods are that of Lee Gilbert, 39, who disappeared from his home in Penryn in June. His elderly mother Marie Hocking and his family have been informed and are being given police support.

http://www.cornishman.co.uk/search-...uro-woodland/story-29858887-detail/story.html
That identification has now been confirmed. But no further details or explanations given.

Three severed human feet found in Bath likely from private collection disturbed by animals.

One foot was found under a bramble bush this February and months later two more feet turned up in people's gardens. According to Avon & Somerset police:
We are satisfied that no crime has been committed and that the feet are more than likely an exhibit from a medical or educational establishment or from a private collection which has been disturbed by animals.
That still seems to leave a lot unanswered.

And they keep finding them:

Man Finds 18th Dismembered Foot On Salish Sea Shores

Over the past decade, British Colombia has found itself in the middle of a strange mystery.

Since 2007, 18 separate severed feet have washed up on the coasts of British Colombia, and parts of the northwestern U.S., from Tacoma, Wash. all the way past Vancouver.

The most recent find came on Dec. 8, when a man walking his dog found another severed foot, inside a shoe and attached to the lower part of a leg. A news report from CNN stated that 13 feet have been found, while a Wikipedia page on the subject claims the number is now 18 as it takes into account all of the found feet along the shores of the Salish Sea, not just the the ones in Canada.

So far, at least four of the feet have been matched with bodies, one of a man who committed suicide in 2008, and one of a woman who committed suicide in 2004.

The link has a map of the locations where the feet were found.

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/salish-sea-severed-feet

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2018/01/fbi_found_piles_of_dead_flies.html

DETROIT - Federal agents spent days using a pneumatic chisel to separate frozen clumps of heads, arms, legs, organs and torsos found in a Detroit warehouse in 2013, an FBI investigator testified Friday in the fraud trial of a body broker.

Rathburn, 64, of Grosse Pointe Park, and his ex-wife Elizabeth Rathburn were accused of operating a body broker business named International Biological Inc. and fraudulently misrepresenting its unusual products -- human body parts.

They purchased disease-infected bodies at a discount and failed to disclose infections to customers, according to federal investigators. Sepsis, HIV and hepatitis were among the infections that U.S. attorneys say Rathburn failed to disclose.

Mods, please move if there is an appropriate thread.

Edit: Yith: will leave for now and merge later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yow! We do have a 'Corpse Mishandling' thread. This is extreme mishandling though!

That sounds pretty disgusting. Looks like people has sold body parts of dead relatives to cover the cost of funerals, or whole bodies because they couldn't pay for funerals.

That sounds pretty disgusting. Looks like people has sold body parts of dead relatives to cover the cost of funerals, or whole bodies because they couldn't pay for funerals.

Well, funerals are expensive. It costs a lot nowadays to die. Perhaps a good idea to simply find a nice spot in the corner of the garden to put grandma... :)

Not so far removed from organ donation, surely? Admittedly the conditions of storage/dissection were lamentable, but as the story says:

"...[the] body parts...originated from dead people who donated their bodies and organs to science."

Even the prosecution tacitly concedes that there wasn't that much wrong with the process, inasmuch as most of the counts against the defendants are for fraud rather than anything body-related.

If you accept dead humans being broken down for spares to repair malfunctioning humans, why is dead humans being broken down for demonstration purposes so very different?

maximus otter

Back