• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shadow Creature?

A

Anonymous

I saw the weirdest thing a few weeks ago. It was about 6:30 AM and I was walking my dog (I walk him so early because I have to be in school by 7:15) and then something strange happened. My dog started barking at something, and I thought it was the pine tree a few yards away from me. So I keep walking with him, and then I see his head quickly move to facing the side of the one house, and what I saw scared the living daylights out of me...

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/shadowcreature.shtml

Link is dead. See post below for complete text.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a friend who said that as a little girl at Easter she came downstairs early one morning to search for Easter eggs (which her parents apparently hid around the house) and saw a "horrible, evil black rabbit thing" sitting on a chair watching her. She fled upstairs and told her parents that the Easter Bunny was downstairs and it wasn't nice. Understandably perhaps, they told her she was dreaming and to go back to bed. My friend told me that she was sure she wasn't dreaming, and that the thing radiated malevolence. So beware the big black bunnies...

Da Bunny gone bad

Related but not entirely on topic. I have a story called "The End of Easter" which involves a demonic rabbit and can be found at http://www.ookami.co.uk
It's in the story store.

Sounds like Harvey's evil twin bunny.

Sounds Keelish to me. The fact that it takes the form of something so innocuous just reinforces the sense that somethings really taking the piss out of us.

Could this have been one of those situations where a small animal was casting a large shadow (you say it looked like a black featureless shape). A small animal could have gone out of sight easily & quietly.

I don't know what would have caused a shadow like a giant rabbit though. A long eared bat? A short horned goat? An aardvark? A snail with long feelers crawling over an on off security light? A rabbit? (Ok I'll get my coat)

wow it is amazing on the amount of shadow people sightings. their are alot of similarities that really needs to be looked at.

com0n:
wow it is amazing on the amount of shadow people sightings. their are alot of similarities that really needs to be looked at

I agree, and they are not all corner of the eye stuff either. I have a recording of my Nephew describing an encounter lasting a couple of minutes, where a human shaped shadow figure followed him and three friend through some local woods and halfway across a field before it vanished. I recorded it the day after it happened to him and listening to it gives makes me go cold. Poor kids were really upset by it.

I've seen one up a tree at the rear of a place I used to live in (as did my dog!) but it was only briefly so its open to being dismissed as the mind making something out of a blur etc.

AMPHIARAUS i would love a copy of that recording plzzz. if you can make it into a wav on a computer i would really love to hear it!!

Shadow creatures!

im amazed at the amound of shadow creatures being reported. i have decided to take a personal interest in this phenemona and will be posting pictures of these creatures that people from all around the world have taking.

Sadly that particular page doesn't seem to be up anymore. It was a drawing of giant rabbit-shaped shadow creature looking in a little kid's bedroom window with an evil grin on its face with the kids hiding their faces in their arms.

Looking through the rest of the site I noticed they have a link to forteantimes: http://www.tailweaver.net/waffles/index.html

Hmm. I wonder if the artist (Elizabeth Spooner) has read this thread. :)

Also, a rabbit-inspired "closet monster" sketch: http://www.tailweaver.net/gallery/design.html

Shadow Creature

Reading Dominic D'Amico's account of a shadow creature in FT187 reminded me of an experience I had during the school summer holidays in 1984, I was twelve at the time. The weather was clear and bright and it was mid afternoon.
A friend and I had constructed a "hide" on a disused railway line in the village of Cullingworth, West Yorkshire. The embankment had all but a few traces of the railway removed and a footpath made it's way through overgrown willow trees and the odd bog. It made an excellent place to hang out during our school holidays.
We were in our "hide" when a man carrying a small girl on his shoulders went past within a couple of feet without noticing our presence, we watched them move down the path until they were out of sight and were about to speak to each other when a figure dropped down from the trees directly in front of the hide.
The figure landed half crouched, facing the direction the man and child had gone. It was completely black, like a strong shadow rather than a solid object, matt black with no reflected light or shadow of it’s own. I don’t recall any sound when the figure landed. The figure started to rise from the half crouched position to standing and at the same time turned towards us. I remember that as it rose it appeared to be shorter than the man that had passed. I guess around 5 foot and definitely humanoid in form (and without the ears of Dominic’s encounter). At this point we simultaneously turned and ran and didn’t look back or speak until we were home.
I remember the events so clearly as I was deeply spooked by the encounter.

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

-------------------------------------------

Shadow Creature?

Dominic D'Amico
Garfield Hts., Ohio

I saw the weirdest thing a few weeks ago. It was about 6:30 AM and I was walking my dog (I walk him so early because I have to be in school by 7:15) and then something strange happened. My dog started barking at something, and I thought it was the pine tree a few yards away from me. So I keep walking with him, and then I see his head quickly move to facing the side of the one house, and what I saw scared the living daylights out of me.

Please don't laugh at my description, it's happened to me everytime I've told it. I saw this big, black creature standing about 6 feet tall, and it looked like it had ears like a rabbit. The weird thing was that all I saw was a black sihlloutte, and this thing seemed to be looking from around the side of the house. I saw no eyes, mouth or any features like that. And as soon as I looked over there, I only had a glance at it because it saw that I had notcied it.

Well alot of people today at school said it was probably a man or a deer. Well, there's no way this thing could have been a deer because deer in Ohio are not pitch black. And it was waaay too fast to be a man because as soon as it got away I looked right around where it was and saw nothing. I didn't even hear it leave.

Many people said, "Oh, Dom, you're just hallucinating." Well, I couldnt have been because my dog saw it too, and he was still barking after it had left. When I got home, my mother asked me what was wrong because I was pale white. I still havent told her. My dog immediately hid behind one of the bar stools, and he basically is never scared. All I know is that this thing spooked me, and I know it was something...

--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/2004021...eantimes.com:80/happened/shadowcreature.shtml

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

-------------------------------------------

Shadow Creature?

Dominic D'Amico
Garfield Hts., Ohio

I saw the weirdest thing a few weeks ago. It was about 6:30 AM and I was walking my dog (I walk him so early because I have to be in school by 7:15) and then something strange happened. My dog started barking at something, and I thought it was the pine tree a few yards away from me. So I keep walking with him, and then I see his head quickly move to facing the side of the one house, and what I saw scared the living daylights out of me.

Please don't laugh at my description, it's happened to me everytime I've told it. I saw this big, black creature standing about 6 feet tall, and it looked like it had ears like a rabbit. The weird thing was that all I saw was a black sihlloutte, and this thing seemed to be looking from around the side of the house. I saw no eyes, mouth or any features like that. And as soon as I looked over there, I only had a glance at it because it saw that I had notcied it.

Well alot of people today at school said it was probably a man or a deer. Well, there's no way this thing could have been a deer because deer in Ohio are not pitch black. And it was waaay too fast to be a man because as soon as it got away I looked right around where it was and saw nothing. I didn't even hear it leave.

Many people said, "Oh, Dom, you're just hallucinating." Well, I couldnt have been because my dog saw it too, and he was still barking after it had left. When I got home, my mother asked me what was wrong because I was pale white. I still havent told her. My dog immediately hid behind one of the bar stools, and he basically is never scared. All I know is that this thing spooked me, and I know it was something...

--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/2004021...eantimes.com:80/happened/shadowcreature.shtml

Hmm. Interesting.

Maybe a Black Dog or some kind of apparition. I mean, yes, obviously people upthread have likened things to 'Frank' from Donnie Darko, because the first thing anybody leaps to when the hear 'black creature standing about 6 feet tall, and it looked like it had ears like a rabbit' is going to be that. :)

But Shuck or similar could be that kind of size with tall ears. Think how tall German Shepherd dog's ears can stand.

The description of a silhouette is also intriguing though. I' find myself reminded of the British 'Bigfoot; sighting mentioned elsewhere on this board, where the creature see from a train looked more like the absence of space than a physical creature. Min Bannister, was that your experience?

I had a friend who said that as a little girl at Easter she came downstairs early one morning to search for Easter eggs (which her parents apparently hid around the house) and saw a "horrible, evil black rabbit thing" sitting on a chair watching her. She fled upstairs and told her parents that the Easter Bunny was downstairs and it wasn't nice. Understandably perhaps, they told her she was dreaming and to go back to bed. My friend told me that she was sure she wasn't dreaming, and that the thing radiated malevolence. So beware the big black bunnies...

Well, that is all kinds of nightmare fuel...

Back