• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shadows & Oddness

terracuk

Junior Acolyte
Hello.. Have been reading FT for donkey's years and lurking on the forum for a while. Had a spot of bother with the confirmation email system not sending to my email for some reason so have been unable to post. Seems ok now though so thought i'd share a weird experience for you guys. Probably fairly run of the mill for most of you but weird for me nonetheless :D

It was the early 2000's and we had lived in our old house for around 4 years with nothing at all happening out of the ordinary. It was an odd pre-fabricated type building built in the 1960's over what I believe was farm land. Houses were built of concrete slabs, terrible cold in winter, in places where the mortar had perished you could see daylight from the insides around the ill fitting windows. It was rented and the council's idea of fixing this was to gloop some sealant in the cracks and move on.

My daughter when very young used to talk (babble) to something unknown towards the wall near the hall but would stop when you talked to her or entered the room if she'd been on her own. She remembers none of this now as a young adult or when queried as an older child. Child's imagination?

I'd had a few experiences when in my late teens/early twenties - nothing exciting but simply knowing things. I knew when the telephone would be about to ring. When a friend would call me sometimes i'd pick up to call him and he'd be on the line without it even ringing. The odd premonition or sense of deja-vu. I'd have dreams that would come true weeks later. Feelings of being watched. Insignificant stuff I think, nothing really sensational.

We started to see strange shadows in the house, mainly around the hallway area. I would happen day or night, no real set pattern. I put this down to passing cars or something casting a light or shadow in the hall through the front door window. It always just seemed to catch your attention but nothing too odd. Winter came and we put up a big thick light blocking curtain which helped with the insulation and maybe block the car lights. However, the shadows continued. It was mainly when you were in the kitchen washing up, out of the corner of your eye you'd see a shadow as if someone had walked past the kitchen doorway along the hall. Family saw it, friends saw it. It wasn't just me being "sensitive". Most people who saw it didn't say anything but you noticed that it had caught their attention.

I saw the shadow enter the living room a few times when I sat on the sofa watching TV, you turned to look to see who had come in but there was nothing there. Even when the door was closed to the hall and no way a shadow could be cast you would see it. Once myself, my wife and the cat all turned to look when a shadow entered through a closed door. We saw nothing but the cat was interested and after a while he got up and went to investigate the door. I used to say hello to "it" on occasion.

Keys went missing and returned in obvious line of sight places, table, mantelpiece etc. Usually a bit quicker if you asked aloud for them back. My wife became a little un-nerved and did not really like me talking to "it". I never felt like whatever "it" was meant us any harm.

One instance I was watching tv. My wife went up to bed and I said i'd follow when the news ends as it had nearly finished and I wanted to catch the weather report. I heard her go upstairs and into the bathroom. About 5 minutes later the programme ended and as I was getting up and switching off the tv I distinctly heard the kitchen light switch go on and a cupboard door open. I thought she'd popped back down for a glass of water but the tap didn't run. When I went into the hall the kitchen was dark so I turned on the light, there wasn't anyone there and all the cupboard doors were still closed. My wife swore she had not been downstairs, the kids were fast asleep and the cat was out. When you've lived in a house for 4 years you KNOW the sound of the light switch and cupboard doors!

This lasted about 2 years, nothing more than shadows really aside from the odd thing I mentioned above. We moved out not long after that as had chance to buy a better place with a better school for the kids. Nothing seems to have followed us and the strangeness has ceased..

Ray

Nice account.
The only thing I've experienced in common with that though is having a cat who occasionally goes wide-eyed, fluffs herself up and stares at something in the room which is utterly invisible to me!
She was sitting on my lap last time she freaked out like this and I felt her claws extend. She soon forgot about it though and went back to sleep.

This lasted about 2 years, nothing more than shadows really aside from the odd thing I mentioned above. We moved out not long after that as had chance to buy a better place with a better school for the kids. Nothing seems to have followed us and the strangeness has ceased..
Nice account, Ray, thanks for posting it. With reference to your last paragraph, are you saying that these events seemed to end before you moved out, or is it just that you took the opportunity to move into a nicer place, and it, whatever it was, didn't seem to come with you?

You say you'd been living in this house for about four years before these events started. If it's not too impertinent a question, was there anything big going on in your lives when it began?

Nice account, Ray, thanks for posting it. With reference to your last paragraph, are you saying that these events seemed to end before you moved out, or is it just that you took the opportunity to move into a nicer place, and it, whatever it was, didn't seem to come with you?

You say you'd been living in this house for about four years before these events started. If it's not too impertinent a question, was there anything big going on in your lives when it began?

Yes whatever it was didn't follow us but happened right up to our move. The shadows happened in spats really, it wasn't a constant thing. Weeks used to go by without seeing or noticing anything then you'd get a few shadows per week. It would be enough time to forget about it and then they were back. I lived in the house for 10 years from 1998 but i'd say nothing really happened until about 2001. We married in 2002 and had a son in 2004 but I wouldn't say anything was ramped up around those times. I'd say that the light switch and cupboard door event would have been 2006/2007. I'm an amateur genealogist now and I keep meaning to try investigate the property at the local archives and try to get a picture of who may have lived there. It's a little trickier the newer the house but not impossible from electoral rolls etc.

Ray

Thanks for posting a great account.

Keys went missing and returned in obvious line of sight places, table, mantelpiece etc. Usually a bit quicker if you asked aloud for them back. My wife became a little un-nerved and did not really like me talking to "it". I never felt like whatever "it" was meant us any harm.

Did you ever say anything else to it?

I'm really interested when people speak (or not) to shadows/its/whatever-they-are, and what is said, and whether there is a sense of reaction/response.

Thanks for posting a great account.

Did you ever say anything else to it?

I'm really interested when people speak (or not) to shadows/its/whatever-they-are, and what is said, and whether there is a sense of reaction/response.

It started as a bit of a joke, I used to welcome "it" into the room and say hello. I'd also say "excuse me" if I was entering the hall after seeing a shadow. Aside from the original shadow I couldn't see anything once it was "there" so to speak. Usually it was in your peripheral vision a shadow and sense of movement. I got the sense that the hall and from inside the kitchen door to just inside the living room was it's domain, it never ventured further from what I recall.

I really didn't think of much to say to "it" to be honest and it un-nerved my wife a little so I didn't very much. I do remember reading somewhere about asking aloud for missing items back. I also read you could ask an angel for a feather - i've never received a feather when I asked but I did get my keys/coin/clippers back :D I asked out loud "Could I have my keys back please if you have them?". Or "do you have my nail clippers? Could you put them back please?"

I did not get a sense of a response but the items usually showed up within hours or days in a pretty obvious place. I'd say this happened about 5 times, no more.

I'm not a religious person in any way BTW. Devout atheist if that has any bearing. :)

Another oddness I remember is related to our cat. He was a lovely black tom, wouldn't hurt anyone. It sounds weird but he managed on a few occasions to get in or out of a locked house. No windows open, no cat flap. He was like a ninja. You would look to your left and in the time it took to look to your right he would be sat there like he'd been there all day. I swear he could teleport :) This was in the old house and new. He was hand reared and he lived to be over 18yrs, then one day totally vanished as some cats do to die. We looked everywhere for him, gardens, RSPCA, rescue charities etc but he was gone.

Thanks for a great reply, really interesting details. It sounds like you had a friendly/polite conversational style that worked. :)

I really like how your account is somewhere in the middle of lore about fairies, ghosts, etc without ever settling into one neat stereotyped category.

Ps I've never asked for feathers before, I'll try that. Interesting stuff.

To be honest I thought all cats came with teleport fitted as standard.

I can pass one of mine half way down the road to the house, and by the time I'm opening the front door, the same cat is curled up on the windowledge upstairs as though she's been there forever.

Time for me to bump my post from December:

"Teleporting cat?

OK. This really baffled my wife and me this morning.
We got back quite late last night after a pre-Christmas visit to my aunt's and just wanted to catch a good night's sleep. My wife therefore shut Puss in the kitchen, where she (the cat, not my wife!) can go out into the back garden through the cat flap if she wanted to and wouldn't come upstairs to wake us up during the night.
I stayed up a little later to watch the Grand Tour and could hear Puss scratching at the kitchen door to be let in. We left her there though and went to bed.
Typically I am first up in the morning and when I open the kitchen door, Puss will greet me with that chirruping meow that cats do and walk to her bowl hinting that she wants some breakfast.
This morning though, when I opened the kitchen door, there was no Puss in sight. I walked through, checking the conservatory, but still could not see her. I even shook a bag of Dreamies out the back door - which is a sure way to get her galloping in for some treats, but still nothing.
At this point though, my wife called downstairs, saying she could hear Puss crying somewhere and this is where it gets weird.
Following the meows, we tracked her down to the spare bedroom, which had its door shut. On opening the door, Puss greeted us briefly but then galloped downstairs and out into the garden - she was obviously bursting for a pee.
We cannot fathom how she got from behind a shut door in the kitchen around 23:15 last night to behind a shut door in our spare bedroom this morning around 06:50. No windows were open, the doors shut very firmly and Puss is incapable of opening them, and neither of us are prone to sleepwalking or sleep door-opening during the night.
Just one of those WTF happenings which will probably remain a mystery to us for ever!"

Nice account.
The only thing I've experienced in common with that though is having a cat who occasionally goes wide-eyed, fluffs herself up and stares at something in the room which is utterly invisible to me!
She was sitting on my lap last time she freaked out like this and I felt her claws extend. She soon forgot about it though and went back to sleep.

I lived in a house in Birkenhead as a kid where our cat would behave in the manner you describe.

Ollie was a very special cat and faithful companion animal. He too would occasionally become "spooked", would hiss, ears back, teeth bared, eyes,,all pupil staring fixedly at an apparently empty room or doorway.

It became apparent that, in fact, there was a broken drain under the house and rats were able to run about under the floorboards. Being a cat and no lover of vermin he could both hear and smell them going about their business but couldn't get to them. That was the cause of his behaviour and is likely.similar to your cats trigger.

Just ticking off the likely before reaching for the paranormal.

Ok some weirdness has started in the new house. Seems to have taken 10 years and only minor oddities but....

All of the family have been hearing an odd noise in the kitchen diner area over the past month. There is a cupboard there under the stairs. We put it down to the hot water boiler clicking which is in the cupboard. There is an arched doorway there through to the living room. We have heard the noise from the living room and from the kitchen, it sounds like someone has walked on the floorboards outside the archway & cupboard (We have high quality thick kitchen vinyl lino over wooden floorboards). Two occasions now sitting in the living room there has been a sound further back which sounded like someone was coming in the back door and through the kitchen, one time our new cat went to investigate. (old cat passed away at 18yrs old - we got a new cat 3 years ago). Nobody there when we went to check. Cat came back disappointed that no-one had fed him.

This morning - I was the only one up as I go to work early. Turned light on and walked through the arched doorway as mentioned earlier. Put on my shoes and when I got up to go back through the doorway. A feather, right in the middle of the doorway arch. Could've sworn it wasn't there when I walked through. I didn't ask for it, someone maybe thought I needed it? White around the outside, brown centre, approx 30mm long.

Minor oddness as I say but we'll see how this pans out :) Maybe the house is just settling for winter and a feather blew in.

I can pass one of mine half way down the road to the house, and by the time I'm opening the front door, the same cat is curled up on the windowledge upstairs as though she's been there forever.

Our tomcat Tim (aka Lazarus) can pester for the front door to be opened, pop out for a slash and be back in the kitchen mooching for food by the time I've turned round.

There are three similar-looking cats in about 7 houses near us so we sometimes used to get neighbours trying to order Tim back to theirs for tea. He'd probably have gone with little persuasion if their food was better than ours! but I bet their actual cat wouldn't be impressed.

This morning - I was the only one up as I go to work early. Turned light on and walked through the arched doorway as mentioned earlier. Put on my shoes and when I got up to go back through the doorway. A feather, right in the middle of the doorway arch. Could've sworn it wasn't there when I walked through. I didn't ask for it, someone maybe thought I needed it? White around the outside, brown centre, approx 30mm long.

Minor oddness as I say but we'll see how this pans out :) Maybe the house is just settling for winter and a feather blew in.

We have a thread on feathers and angels.

Hello.. Have been reading FT for donkey's years and lurking on the forum for a while. Had a spot of bother with the confirmation email system not sending to my email for some reason so have been unable to post. Seems ok now though so thought i'd share a weird experience for you guys. Probably fairly run of the mill for most of you but weird for me nonetheless :D

It was the early 2000's and we had lived in our old house for around 4 years with nothing at all happening out of the ordinary. It was an odd pre-fabricated type building built in the 1960's over what I believe was farm land. Houses were built of concrete slabs, terrible cold in winter, in places where the mortar had perished you could see daylight from the insides around the ill fitting windows. It was rented and the council's idea of fixing this was to gloop some sealant in the cracks and move on.

My daughter when very young used to talk (babble) to something unknown towards the wall near the hall but would stop when you talked to her or entered the room if she'd been on her own. She remembers none of this now as a young adult or when queried as an older child. Child's imagination?

I'd had a few experiences when in my late teens/early twenties - nothing exciting but simply knowing things. I knew when the telephone would be about to ring. When a friend would call me sometimes i'd pick up to call him and he'd be on the line without it even ringing. The odd premonition or sense of deja-vu. I'd have dreams that would come true weeks later. Feelings of being watched. Insignificant stuff I think, nothing really sensational.

We started to see strange shadows in the house, mainly around the hallway area. I would happen day or night, no real set pattern. I put this down to passing cars or something casting a light or shadow in the hall through the front door window. It always just seemed to catch your attention but nothing too odd. Winter came and we put up a big thick light blocking curtain which helped with the insulation and maybe block the car lights. However, the shadows continued. It was mainly when you were in the kitchen washing up, out of the corner of your eye you'd see a shadow as if someone had walked past the kitchen doorway along the hall. Family saw it, friends saw it. It wasn't just me being "sensitive". Most people who saw it didn't say anything but you noticed that it had caught their attention.

I saw the shadow enter the living room a few times when I sat on the sofa watching TV, you turned to look to see who had come in but there was nothing there. Even when the door was closed to the hall and no way a shadow could be cast you would see it. Once myself, my wife and the cat all turned to look when a shadow entered through a closed door. We saw nothing but the cat was interested and after a while he got up and went to investigate the door. I used to say hello to "it" on occasion.

One instance I was watching tv. My wife went up to bed and I said i'd follow when the news ends as it had nearly finished and I wanted to catch the weather report. I heard her go upstairs and into the bathroom. About 5 minutes later the programme ended and as I was getting up and switching off the tv I distinctly heard the kitchen light switch go on and a cupboard door open. I thought she'd popped back down for a glass of water but the tap didn't run. When I went into the hall the kitchen was dark so I turned on the light, there wasn't anyone there and all the cupboard doors were still closed. My wife swore she had not been downstairs, the kids were fast asleep and the cat was out. When you've lived in a house for 4 years you KNOW the sound of the light switch and cupboard doors!

Ray

Ray,

I was reluctant to post the experiences we had in our old house, but the account you gave of your experiences were so similar to mine, that it made me go a bit cold to be honest.

We never had anything like the shadow thing, but the other stuff is pretty much spot on – including the Cat getting out with no cat flap or any windows being open.

It wasn’t just me and the wife who witnessed things, but neighbours and visitors (my mum refused to stay overnight there) and we never had the same babysitter twice, even though I offered to pay one girl double the rate.

One Saturday night we came home from a restaurant to find a new babysitter sitting on the doorstep, and her Dad asleep on the sofa - she had got spooked and begged him to come over and keep her company.

One day when get some time I’ll post a few things that happened to us, and you can tell me what you think ( if you want to of course )

Cheers- DT

If we WANT to?

You need to pack in your job and start typing on'ere.

Ha ha okay escargot. I’ll have a little think about it and get posting.

We moved into the house back in 2005 when my youngest was a new born, and that’s when the house was at its most "active", I’d say the first 5 years, but as the years rolled by the strangeness got less and less, and by the time we moved out 11 years later hardly anything was happening at all.

I read somewhere that if you live in an “active house” then whatever’s there must get used to you, as you must get use to them.

Am I the only one on the planet with cats who wouldn't notice anything odd if a big flashing sign pointed at it saying "really odd thing to see here!"? They didn't even notice we had guinea pigs until they'd lived with us for three weeks.

Great post OP.

Am I the only one on the planet with cats who wouldn't notice anything odd if a big flashing sign pointed at it saying "really odd thing to see here!"? They didn't even notice we had guinea pigs until they'd lived with us for three weeks.

Great post OP.

Some cats are a dim but some are just too cool to be seen to be showing an interest in anything, just like teenagers.

On the flip side they can get the alarmed "WTF is that???" look. That look where they get fixated on a spot on the wall, or better yet just behind your shoulder as if someone or something is standing behind you.

Of course when you turn around you can't see anything which makes it even more unnerving.

Ha ha okay escargot. I’ll have a little think about it and get posting.

We moved into the house back in 2005 when my youngest was a new born, and that’s when the house was at its most "active", I’d say the first 5 years, but as the years rolled by the strangeness got less and less, and by the time we moved out 11 years later hardly anything was happening at all.

I read somewhere that if you live in an “active house” then whatever’s there must get used to you, as you must get use to them.

Okay.

I had a quick chat with the missus the other night, and although lots of minor stuff happened, the below is something that really stuck in the mind, it was some years back, but this is what we remember.

The strangeness started a week or so after we moved in, It was Saturday evening and I had popped out to buy a take-away, while the missus was putting our 2 week old daughter down for the night.

When I got back ( I was out longer than expected due to the sheer incompetence of – erm I won’t name the tandoori restaurant in question ) the missus was a little shaken up, she said while I was out, she heard an old man’s gruff voice over the baby intercom in my daughters room.

I explained to her about radio waves etc., and it was quite normal to hear other voices over baby intercoms, and she accepted that.

However about an hour later, we were watching a film in the living room, when we both heard in what was obviously an older man’s voice say “sleep” then silence then the word “sleep” again, and then more silence then the word “what”

We clearly heard this, it was quite distinct, and it definitely came from the intercom, I told the missus again about radio waves, but honestly, I think I was reassuring myself rather than her. lol

I did check on my daughter straight away and she was quite fine and sleeping soundly.

Loads of minor strangeness happened and from what I remember about 4 or 5 major strangeness happened over the next few years, but I’ll leave them for another post.

Okay.

I had a quick chat with the missus the other night, and although lots of minor stuff happened, the below is something that really stuck in the mind, it was some years back, but this is what we remember.

The strangeness started a week or so after we moved in, It was Saturday evening and I had popped out to buy a take-away, while the missus was putting our 2 week old daughter down for the night.

When I got back ( I was out longer than expected due to the sheer incompetence of – erm I won’t name the tandoori restaurant in question ) the missus was a little shaken up, she said while I was out, she heard an old man’s gruff voice over the baby intercom in my daughters room.

I explained to her about radio waves etc., and it was quite normal to hear other voices over baby intercoms, and she accepted that.

However about an hour later, we were watching a film in the living room, when we both heard in what was obviously an older man’s voice say “sleep” then silence then the word “sleep” again, and then more silence then the word “what”

We clearly heard this, it was quite distinct, and it definitely came from the intercom, I told the missus again about radio waves, but honestly, I think I was reassuring myself rather than her. lol

I did check on my daughter straight away and she was quite fine and sleeping soundly.

Loads of minor strangeness happened and from what I remember about 4 or 5 major strangeness happened over the next few years, but I’ll leave them for another post.

I once bought a baby monitor from a car boot sale just to see how it worked. When we plugged it in we noticed it picking up sounds from a bedroom in another house - never found out whose - where children sometimes played on a games console and their parents, er, at other times also had fun. It was given away pretty quickly!

The puggy in the canteen of my old nick used to pick up voice from our cars’ main set (VHF) radios if the transmitter were close enough, and the atmospherics just right. It could be a bum-twitchable moment if l were drowsily putting my usual £1.50 through the machine at 0230hrs., and it suddenly announced “Zed Victor One is 10-7 at Alpha One-Six!” at the top of “its voice”.

I’ve previously mentioned how this kind of effect might give rise to tales of ghosts in the story of our Traffic cars and the motel door.

maximus otter

Back