Shadows Of Fear

ravensocks

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
For the resident Brits, the Talking Pictures channel (sky channel 328) are showing Shadows of Fear, an anthology series from 1971 on Tuesdays at 4am. These hour long episodes cover a range of fear inducing situations, but (I believe) without straying into the paranormal. We're only on episode 2 so far, but episode 1 looked at the fear of being burgled. Episode 2, the fear of a missing child and unraveling family situation.

Episode 1, 'Did you lock up?', had a nice twist in the tail (and featured a young Mark 'Taggart' McManus).

Episode 2, 'Sugar and Spice' was a deeply unpleasant story, that you can see coming a mile off, but certainly blindsided me a couple of times. Horrible atmosphere of creepy unease as it unfolds - with Sheila Hancock. Well worth watching!

Has anyone else seen these? I enjoyed the first two, do the rest of the series stand up?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadows_of_Fear

Aurora Newman

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I've heard about it and read about it a little in TV genre magazines. But haven't seen it although it looks like good viewing. The title is very catchy Shadows Of Fear!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
For the resident Brits, the Talking Pictures channel (sky channel 328) are showing Shadows of Fear, an anthology series from 1971 on Tuesdays at 4am. These hour long episodes cover a range of fear inducing situations, but (I believe) without straying into the paranormal. We're only on episode 2 so far, but episode 1 looked at the fear of being burgled. Episode 2, the fear of a missing child and unraveling family situation.

Episode 1, 'Did you lock up?', had a nice twist in the tail (and featured a young Mark 'Taggart' McManus).

Episode 2, 'Sugar and Spice' was a deeply unpleasant story, that you can see coming a mile off, but certainly blindsided me a couple of times. Horrible atmosphere of creepy unease as it unfolds - with Sheila Hancock. Well worth watching!

Has anyone else seen these? I enjoyed the first two, do the rest of the series stand up?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadows_of_Fear
Thank you, I'll go for that! :D
It rings a bell so perhaps I saw it first time around. Some HUGE stars were in it.

There were some brilliant horror/supernatural shows back then. 'Menace' included the chilling 'Boys and Girls come out to Play' which I saw once and remember in sharp detail. Perhaps it'll turn up again.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I don't remember it at all :( There's some interesting discussion of the series here; eleven years ago though it has much about how it's all missing!

https://missingepisodes.proboards.com/thread/5666/bbc-menace-girls-boys
Yup, I searched around for it years ago with no joy.

The admirable BBC adaptation of M.R. James' Lost Hearts was shown around the same time and is still available. Terrifying.
I didn't understand the premise at the time but realise now that it's what's behind nearly every loopy world-domination conspiracy fantasy.

James knew. o_O

ravensocks

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Thank you, I'll go for that! :D
It rings a bell so perhaps I saw it first time around. Some HUGE stars were in it.

There were some brilliant horror/supernatural shows back then. 'Menace' included the chilling 'Boys and Girls come out to Play' which I saw once and remember in sharp detail. Perhaps it'll turn up again.
Great stuff, hope the rest of the run holds up! I was quite surprised at some of the names that appeared.

Never heard of Menace, but that sounds a cracker

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
There's also the excellent 1990s BBC series Ghosts, some episodes of which which can be caught on YouTube.
Brutally scary! o_O
:chuckle: