• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shall We Run Our Own Experiment?

Loquaciousness

The misuse of the word "fact" annoys me
The suggestion is just as above. Shall we run our own experiment? Maybe one on remote viewing? It should be fairly simple to set up and run and I don't mind developing the procedure, running it and then evaluating the stats. So who's up for it?

Zener cards, maybe?

Something statistically easy, so it's straightforward to calculate how far from pure chance the results are.

Well that is quite a few people already. Maybe if I can coerce escargot into this as well, together we can come up with a protocol for the experiment.
I deliberately didn't describe my own format(s), because I didn't want to influence the game. (I don't know if those earlier threads are still around - they may have been in chat, and have evaporated!)

But NO to Zener cards - too boring! An ordinary pack of cards would have more links to human interests. Or pick an upcoming game in say, the Premier League, without telling us which one, and let us guess the score! :p Most people, even if not sports fans, have some kind of emotional response to the towns and cities involved, whether positive or negative.

I'll shut up now! ;)

Well that is quite a few people already. Maybe if I can coerce escargot into this as well, together we can come up with a protocol for the experiment.

I've just typed up a few ideas for protocols. Can I send them to you for derisive criticism? Is it possible to PM on this forum?

Please do PM me with any suggestions. My main aim is to make the experiment as scientific as possible, so for instance with control for experimenter bias, with a testable hypothesis and data that can be statistically analysed.

Well, I'm a little late to the game, but I'm up for getting involved.

(This is what I get for ignoring the parapsychology sub)

I find the two threads I started on this topic ARE still on the MB, but much older than I'd have guessed. The first ran for three pages, but all the links are dead now. The second only lasted three posts! I'll say no more now, to avoid somehow corrupting the new experiment.

This evening, mucking about with my photos on the computer, I noticed how to set an image as wallpaper on the desktop. So I tried it (as you do) and the result was ghastly! The computer had taken my modest sized image, and blown it up so it was all pixellated. Well, I thought, I'll delete that. But I couldn't find out how to delete it! :eek:
(You'll recall that I'm still a newbie with this Windows 10 stuff.)

In the end I decided to select a new pic, resize it to my monitor screen size, and put that up instead. And that worked fine.

So here I am, with a new image on my desktop, and this thread still hanging fire...

So here's your challenge (if you choose to accept it): guess what the image is, or some significant features in it.

Now this could be a test of remote viewing - the image is on my desktop; or, as I will see the image several times a day, it could be a test of whether you can read my mind. There may be other possible theoretical mechanisms.

So, get yourself in what you consider the best state of mind for psychic reception (meditating in a quiet room, getting blotto on Absinthe etc), and have a go. You probably won't get a complete picture, but note colours, shapes, or any interesting details or ideas that swim into your ken.

Then PM me with your results. (You won't find PMs on this message board - they're disguised as Conversations.)
For this first test I'll set a closing date/time of Saturday 19th of September, at 1030 BST. (I won't reply to any 'conversations' except on this thread, after the deadline.) And after that time too I will reveal the image.

The image, btw, could have been taken by anyone, so try not to get swayed by what you think you know about me and my interests.

Happy Scrying! :)

Would you describe the room you are in and the computer's location and appearance?

If I'm going to have my first attempt at floating around at long distance, I'd like to think myself into it.

Would you describe the room you are in and the computer's location and appearance?

If I'm going to have my first attempt at floating around at long distance, I'd like to think myself into it.
Fair enough! The computer tower is a Lenovo, and it sits to the left of the monitor (Dell); both are black, as is the keyboard.

There is a red desk lamp on top of the tower, and a notice board on the wall behind. (But the notice board could be a distraction, as it has several interesting images on it - but only one was actually taken by me.)

When I'm sat at the computer, the room's main window is to my right, and it looks out onto a garden with shrubs, trees and flowers. (In the afternoons I sometimes have to partly close the curtains to keep the sun off the screen.) To my left is the phone and assorted computer disks and clutter, and left of that is a bookcase.

I think that's enough, as it covers 90% of what I see when I'm online.

Back