• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shall We Run Our Own Experiment?

Never fear, I'll be running another one soon!

Excellent idea! We're bound to get it right eventually, you know, the give 100 monkeys 100 typewriters theory. It'll be the best of time, it'll be the blurst of times!

Please! that would cheer me right up for some odd reason!

TheGoodTheBadAndTheUglyBetty.gif

I'm in! (Totally recovered now from the dreaded 'C19'. Except for a bit of sinusitis).

So it was confirmed you actually had the virus? What was it like for you?

Good to hear you're now over it.

So it was confirmed you actually had the virus? What was it like for you?

Good to hear you're now over it.

No test, Just that the breathing difficulty / tight chest totally convinces me that I had it. That and having been around people who did test positive just prior to getting it myself.

PAndemic Lockdown Activity / Viewing Experiment (Remote) (PALAVER) II is now LIVE!

3 mystery objects sitting on the windowsill less than 2 metres from here. All are solid at room temperature. Reach out with the Force or go astral or just take a random guess as to what the objects are. Colours, textures, materials, heck, smells and tastes if you're that adventurous.

Submit your wild stabs in the dark (or light, it's quite sunny here) via private message or email spamtribs @ gmail dot com.

I'll run it on Twitter too since this kind of thing actually got us 8 new followers and a handful of retweets.

Challenge will run for about 48 hours and then I'll take and post a piccy of the objects.

The Test is now closed!

The objects were : a white glass Xmas ornament, a masonry drill bit and a jade (or most likely jade-like glass) cat figurine!

RemoteStuff.jpg

The guesses :

From this forum :

a seed, soap, a bracelet, i keep getting red, dont know why

A pair of reading glasses.
An apple.
Cotton & thread.

Item 1 is a small round glass artefact - a Petrie dish, ash tray, or similar.
Item 2 is an electric motor or clockwork mechanism
Item 3 is long and thin, but coiled round: thread on a reel, or the like.

* a bottle of scent
* a small toy figurine
* plastic bag

A pencil; a glass object; a stapler. (if that last thing is not a stapler, but metal, I'd be fascinated.)
I wanted the second item to be an orange, something round, but ... hmm. I don't know.

Green handled black secateurs/pruning shears.
A selotape dispenser, white plastic, mainly full roll.
A coffee mug, red, with something supposedly pithy written on it.

Just got impressions of patterns and textures. Rounded shiny glass or shiny metal object with a curved or semi-circular end with a yellow string. Impression of a criss cross yellow pattern. Got the impression of wax. Purple swirly pattern. Perhaps an object made out of tin. Spokelike yellow pattern.

The left thing is something dark blue and angular and boxy like a toy car.
The middle thing is something fluffy and bright like an easter chick.
And the right hand thing is something with small bits to it like a metal chain linked together.

Ball of wool with needles, book, pen.

A small red teapot for one that comes apart so you can have a cup and saucer (but it's just ornamental in your house)
A piece of polystyrene packaging about 5cm x 5cm (the corner protector from that bathroom mirror you got from Wayfair)
A tacky 5.5cm figurine of Merlin the magician that you bought from a souvenir shoppe in Tintagel or Glastonbury even though you swore you wouldn't
(note: that last one could be just a gnome with a stick)

From Twitter :

I can only see a web-like pattern, circular, with some ornamentation on the front. Possibly metal. What the ornamentation is I can't tell, but it makes me think of a scarab.

A shell, a plant, and a pen?

RemoteGuess2.jpg

Well done to everyone, you all get participation trophies.

Last edited:
Just got impressions of patterns and textures. Rounded shiny glass or shiny metal object with a curved or semi-circular end with a yellow string. Impression of a criss cross yellow pattern. Got the impression of wax. Purple swirly pattern. Perhaps an object made out of tin. Spokelike yellow pattern.

That was mine - me and a twitter response both had similar with the 'criss-cross pattern, spokelike' and 'web like' - have you got a cobweb on your window Tribble? Might have been looking at someone elses windowsill of course! :)

'Rounded shiny glass or shiny metal object' seems a hit for the Xmas ornament! Is there something attached to tie it to a tree?

Other hits (or near):

Item 1 is a small round glass artefact - a Petrie dish, ash tray, or similar.
Item 2 is an electric motor or clockwork mechanism
* a small toy figurine
a glass object
...small bits to it like a metal chain linked together.

Collated similarities but not hits:
Cotton & thread.
Item 3 is long and thin, but coiled round: thread on a reel, or the like.
yellow string.
Ball of wool with needles

I am quite impressed!

Last edited:
I'd be interested to hear what people do when they're trying to think of what the objects are?! Do you try to empty your mind? Or stare out the window? Or imagine a windowsill? Accept the first thing that comes into your head? Or dismiss that and wait for something else? And do you wait for a 'feeling' that you've made a good guess? (I think those are the things I was trying to do anyway. I also think it's quite interesting that I'm now trying to make links between what I was thinking of and the things that were actually there... that is to say, can you learn from your vague hits and refine your guessing technique?)
Theory two of course, ie it's all nonsense :)

Also, none of us know where Tribble's windowsill is. so is it actually better (if it were actually possible, natch) to imagine yourself looking at the future post on the Fortean Message Board when the objects are revealed?!

Back