• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shall We Run Our Own Experiment?

A magnetic compass (which has a flat, round, black section), a pestle&mortar, and a VHS copy of "Leningrad Cowboys go America" (which has a photo, "framed" in a plastic cover). I think Krepostnoi wins this round! Step up and receive your virtual gold star!

Plus the pestle and mortar does look quite 'conical'. Not only a good guess, but in the correct order. Well done Krepostnoi.

Forgot to have a go at this one... :oops:

A reminder that I have a new desktop photo in place, and I guess it's 'bedded in' by now, so fire away! (Actually, I've had one reading already!)

Shady :

pencil sharpener

coffee

toothpaste

Krepostnoi :

a flat(tish) round black object - an ashtray?

a conical figure - something like those angel Xmas tree decoration thingies.

A photo in a frame or a post card. Possibly an Xmas card.

Ermintrude :

Primus, a toy or model bus (single-decker long coach shape, pale);

In the secundum, a comb or flattened brush, blue;

Et tert, a pair of lightweight scissors.

And the mystery objects were :

ScryingGame.jpg

A magnetic compass (which has a flat, round, black section), a pestle&mortar, and a VHS copy of "Leningrad Cowboys go America" (which has a photo, "framed" in a plastic cover). I think Krepostnoi wins this round! Step up and receive your virtual gold star!
I'm actually a little unnerved by that :eek: I suspect it's nothing more than the equivalent of the infinite monkeys typing Shakespeare, but still... o_O

What with the drama in Paris, and my own hassles with my smoke alarm, I forgot to give the answer to my latest challenge yesterday. But since I only got one reply (and that was totally wrong!), I'm going to roll it over for another week and double the prize! (Twice sweet F.A. is still F.A however! :evil:)

The challenge, as before, is to identify as many features as possible of the randomly chosen photo I'm using as my desktop. Easy Peasy? Not on past experience!

Only two responses this week:

Iris
When I see your name I see a landing with yachts on a river. I know It's probably wrong again but that's what I see.

Tribble
Carpark. The number eight. Possibly Coventry.

Well, neither seems to get anywhere near, to my mind!
Remember the picture was not chosen by me but by a random process, so it may not reflect my interests or be what I would choose to put on my desktop. So the previous target, the big ground drill, although an interesting record of some construction work, would not have been my desktop choice.

But, as it happens, this week's picture would have been a likely choice - and here it is:

IMG_0514.jpg

Sundial sited over Perranporth beach​

So, no river, no yachts, no car park in sight, and it's definitely not Coventry! But I suppose one of the white sundial markers is number 8, but it's not in the centre of the photo or picked out in any other way.

So no winner, and not even a runner-up!

Only two responses this week:

Iris
When I see your name I see a landing with yachts on a river. I know It's probably wrong again but that's what I see.

Tribble
Carpark. The number eight. Possibly Coventry.

Well, neither seems to get anywhere near, to my mind!
Remember the picture was not chosen by me but by a random process, so it may not reflect my interests or be what I would choose to put on my desktop. So the previous target, the big ground drill, although an interesting record of some construction work, would not have been my desktop choice.

But, as it happens, this week's picture would have been a likely choice - and here it is:

View attachment 1557
Sundial sited over Perranporth beach​

So, no river, no yachts, no car park in sight, and it's definitely not Coventry! But I suppose one of the white sundial markers is number 8, but it's not in the centre of the photo or picked out in any other way.

So no winner, and not even a runner-up!

Well see, that's how psychic we are - we can see what's just outside the boundaries of the photo and at different times! Are we good, or what?

Anyone want to play "Guess the Mystery Crap on the Windowsill"?

Okay, three mystery objects on the now-legendary, much-viewed windowsill. I'll give you all until 8pm GMT, 9pm CET (that's a bit less than 24 hours) to get your inspired guesses in. Gaze deep into your crystal balls, study the flight of swallows or meditate until you are at one with the Windowsill, then PM me your guesses as usual.

From left to right, looking out of the window. (I'm trying to respect your privacy)

Small figurine, possibly toy soldier.
A baseball, well loved and used.
An animal, possibly an elephant.

Do you have red drapes around the windowsill, BTW?

EDIT:
Forgot you wanted PM'ing, sorry if I derailed anyone's vibe.

I'd like to know which direction this window faces, as I'm very interested in the play of sunlight/moonlight into rooms. But I suppose if I had any distant viewing ability, that would be obvious to me anyway!

But I feel a vision coming on, so will PM shortly...

(Meantime, if anyone needs more info on the Perranporth sundial, there are more pics and links at the bottom of this web-page: http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/hayle-holywell-b-2.html )

Only two entries this time! I guess people were off enjoying the lovely arctic weather this weekend.

rynner2 :

On the left is a photograph of a person, in a frame. May just be a B&W photo. I feel the person is a middle-aged woman.

Centre is some kind of model, eg Lego (but probably not Lego), of some sort of strange creature/person.

Right is a model boat, probably a sailing boat but without sails. Maybe a model of a traditional fishing boat from somewhere, perhaps the Mediterranean.

I begin to feel the window faces north...

Cultjunky :

Small figurine, possibly toy soldier.
A baseball, well loved and used.
An animal, possibly an elephant.

ScryingOverSpiltMilk.jpg

As you can see, the objects were : a 2.5" HDD, a pair of reading glasses (not mine), and a Swiss Army penknife from Kebnekaise. Rynner can have 1 point for "black and white" and half a point for "frame" as it's in a caddy from when it was in a netbook.

Also, the window faces roughly east and there are no drapes. I suspect you both may be spying on our neighbours.

What about the knife? It does look a bit boat-shaped. Another point to Rynner?

Time for some mid-week mindcasting!

Three objects. Usual rules. No prizes. Cast forth your senses, oh goatstarers. I give thee until Thursday evening.

Only two entries this time.

Krepostnoi :

A microscope

Again, something flattish and round. A coaster?

Scissors or pliers.

Shady :

Something to do with a dog
A light
A plant or flower, pink ,maybe
ermm, did you change your mind about one of them? [no]

And the objects were :

ScryMeARiver.jpg

Orgonite, a spool of solder and an old CPU heatsink/fan.

Krepostnoi can have a few points for "flattish and round" as the object is, indeed, flattish and round, and wins a no-expenses-included trip to the Institute for Brain Research at Leningrad State University (just as soon as we obtain a time machine).

Only two entries this time.

Krepostnoi :

A microscope

Again, something flattish and round. A coaster?

Scissors or pliers.

Shady :

Something to do with a dog
A light
A plant or flower, pink ,maybe
ermm, did you change your mind about one of them? [no]

And the objects were :

ScryMeARiver.jpg

Orgonite, a spool of solder and an old CPU heatsink/fan.

Krepostnoi can have a few points for "flattish and round" as the object is, indeed, flattish and round, and wins a no-expenses-included trip to the Institute for Brain Research at Leningrad State University (just as soon as we obtain a time machine).
Oh, it will be lovely to visit Leningrad again for the first time. Is that first resolutely non-microscopic item orgonite? (Yeah, I know, I can see it and I still don't know what it is...)

ETA - Hopeless. I see (now) you said it was orgonite straightaway. Never mind cold reading, I clearly need to work on plain reading.

Last edited:

*looks into scrying pool of strawberry squash* I'm going to say The Druids Nephew in first place, followed by Hadrian's Approach and Aachen. Many Clouds will refuse to leave the stalls, Wonderful Charm will get distracted at the half-way point by a particularly colourful hat (or a butterfly. The visions are cloudy) and On His Own will take an embarrassingly long poo live on camera at some point.

The missus (who must be psychic, she understands what I say) predicts :

Morning Assembly
Sir Des Champs
First Lieutenant
Rule the World
Onenightinvienna

My magic dice (d100 using 2d10) says :

Holywell
Shutthefrontdoor
Black Thunder
Kruzhlinin
Ballynagour

Right, you asked for it! Remote viewing experiment #whatever is now live!

I have placed 3 objects on a windowsill. All I can tell you is that the windowsill is south-facing, the objects are individually smaller than a 1kg bag of sugar and are next to an orchid that's managed to retain some flowers for several months which is really quite impressive since we don't usually have much luck with orchids.

Your task : tell me what the objects are. Shapes, colours, smells, tastes, side-effects if consumed, anything you can get from them. PM me your answers or email to : [email protected]

I'll give it a few days then compile your answers and post a photo of the objects. Prize to be determined but it'll undoubtedly be something of no material value whatsoever.

Scry away!

Super-psychic challenge ends in a few hours! If you haven't already, have a good hard stare into the nth dimension with your third eye and tell me what you see. Bonus points if you can tell me what we had for lunch today.

Just realised I should have PM'd them. Oh well <shrugs>

@catseye @Tribble - I've temporarily hidden the post on thread in case you want it permanently removed?

No problem either way, just don't want to skew the results unless that's what you want?

Frides

Right, I'll declare the challenge... closed!

The mystic visions are as follows :

Krepostnoi
Object one (left-hand-most) is a toy car. I'd go so far as to say a red one - Starsky and Hutch!
Middle object: a small reference book, along the lines of a Collins Gem French dictionary.
Right-hand-most: one of those little Rubik's cubes on a key ring.

melon24
1. A fishy ornament thing (possibly a glass dolphin). 2. A box of Turkish Delight. 3. A toy cannon.

Verbal Earthworm
Orchid, Book, B shaped thing, X shaped thing.
[pic provided]

Yithian
The objects are (left to right as seen internally): a pez-dispenser, a tangerine and a (kitchen-sized) matchbox.

Frideswide

when looking out of the window
1 playmobil figure in a rowing boat
2 spiny cactus in a pot
3 set of measuring spoons

catseye
Something bright blue, about the size of a thimble. Possibly plastic
A round, possibly edible thing (is it a biscuit? I do hope it's a biscuit...)
A terracotta pot (although I may be being influenced by the orchid, which is whispering sweet nothings in my ear).

And the actual objects are :

TqN8QNv.jpg

Wirecutters, a GU10 light bulb and an old Dutch salt-liquorice tin full of glass marbles. And an orchid.

melon24 got "glass" and "exotic confectionery", Verbal Earthworm got the X-shaped thing at the opposite end from the orchid, catseye got "round thing" (not really edible unless you want a light snack, ho ho) and "pot-like receptacle".

Nobody even tried to guess what we had for lunch, which was chicken teriyaki with brown rice. Everyone's safe from the Intelligence Agency recruiters for now and I have nothing to fear from not wearing pants indoors.

Back