• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shapeshifters & Sundry Werebeasts

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I thought it worth having a thread for those shapeshifters who change into something other than a wolf e.g. the weredolphin of Brazil or various weretigers, werefoxes, etc. from folklore.

See:

Half Human, Half Animal: Tales of Werewolves and Related Creatures
by Jamie hall (2003)

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/14107 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1410758 ... enantmc-20

----------
Other relevant discussion:

Werewolves
forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5257
Link is obsolete. The current link is:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/werewolves.5257/

Therianthropy, Otherkin, etc
forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15875
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/therianthropy-otherkin-etc.15875/

and possibly:

Body dysmorphia and additional limbs
forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11154
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ysmorphia-body-dysmorphic-disorder-bdd.11154/

-------------------------------
So a story to kick start it:

Man claims to be reincarnation of snake god's wife

By S Sanjay in Bhopal
Wednesday, 11 January , 2006, 17:18

Truth is often stranger than fiction. So is the story of Abhishek Parikh, who not only claims to be the reincarnation of snake god Naagraaj's wife, but also claims to transform into a snake after midnight and resume the shape of a human by morning.

Naagraaj is considered the king of snakes and is widely worshipped in India.

Born in Jhalawad district of Rajasthan, Abhishek says he was the wife of Naagraaj in his previous life. “Even in this life, in my present form, I continue to be his wife,” says the 28-year-old who was in Bhopal on his holy visit to Kedarnath in Guna district.

Abhishek, who is still a bachelor, claims that his “dance performance at midnight gradually transfigures me into a snake partially. But this happens only at a particular temple located at Khanpur in Jhalawada. By early morning, I resume my present form".

He has even showed a videotape of his transformation to the police.

The postgraduate, who dresses like a woman, attributes his supernatural power to his love for Naagraaj. “It is the result of our undying love for each other and my faith in Lord Shiva,” he said. “I came to know that I was and am the wife of Naagraaj while meditating in worship of Lord Shiva. The fact that I am a male by birth is not a hindrance in carrying out my duties as Naagraaj's wife."

sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14118875
Link is dead. The MIA webpage (quoted in full above) can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060127085649/http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14118875

I'd love to see the video!!

-----------------------
The HK film Green Snake is an interesting look at snake people - I watched it on Mr Ring's recommendation and really enjoyed it:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0106559/

R2 (the one I have)
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0003 ... ntmagaz-21
R0:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000059 ... enantmc-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm this "wife of Naagraaj" person sounds like a nutter if you ask me. Possible I suppose but...uh...unlikely. Love to see this "proof" in the video though if he claims it to be true.

I always remembered the stories of the Scottish Silkie Wife who took seal form.
There was the stories where a fisherman stole one of their seal skins and made one of them into his wife since she could not change back into seal form as he had hidden it. She bore him several children until one day he was careless and she got a hold of her seal skin back, changed into a seal and disappeared into the sea.

I suppose those stories correspond to the stories of people changing into wolves through the use of wolf skins as well.

Werecats = ABCs?

Again back to Hall's book where she discusses werecats and the parallels with ABCs were interesting. On page 90 she says:

Even within Europe, cat transformation tales are almost as common as the ones involving wolves, and in some locales (such as England) outnumber the werewolf legends, The word "werecat" encompasses all possible species of feline shapeshifter, ranging from the well-known black panther to tigers, leopards, lions, and even the innocent housecat. It also includes people who turn into strange cat-monsters such as housecats that are the size of cows or seem to be blends of more then one feline species.

This last bit brings to mind:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23890

A couple of pages later (92) she says:

The moors of the British Isles have always been full of stories about gigantic (sometimes panther-sized) black cats. In the old days, these sightings were taken as either devil cats or werecats. Today, people are still reporting these strange animals, but now the favored explanation has switched to escaped exotic pets.

Now it might be that they are stemming from simple misunderstandings and part of our intrinsic threat wiring:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17696

but the presence of werecats seems a more likely explanation than one which requires there to be a number of viable populations of large cats scattered around the country that somehow evade capture (even as a clear photo) ;)

Of course it raises more questions than it answers but.....

This is quite tantalising--and as tantalising things often are, frustrating. Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins claims to have witnessed a shapeshifter, but declines to elaborate much.

This is quite tantalising--and as tantalising things often are, frustrating. Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins claims to have witnessed a shapeshifter, but declines to elaborate much.

He is a bit of a twat though.

You know, there's a million twats in the world, dude.
But they don't all witness shapeshifters.

If it had been Ken Dodd or Suzi Quatro for example I'd believe it. Billy? hmm sounds like something out of Brett Easton Ellis's The Informers.

A young Kenyan man took a woman he'd met home for sex, but fled and went somewhat insane because she transformed into a goat while they were making love.
Chaos As Lady Turns Into Goat While In Bed With Boyfriend

A young Kenyan man identified as Joel Namasaka has lost his sanity after a new girlfriend he met in the market turned into a goat while they were having sex at Mayuge village, Navakholo constituency.

Joel narrated to Kenya based K24 TV how the beautiful lady agreed to be his girlfriend following their first unplanned encounter. ...

Joel said ‘I met the beautiful lady at Soi market when I was going back to where I work as shamba boy and talked about love. She agreed to be my girlfriend, so I requested her to accompany me to my residence, and she agreed.

‘Everything was okay until when we entered my bedroom. The lady suddenly turned into a big goat with long horns made of the bottles of soda that we had just drunk’.

Kasatintin.com has gathered that Joel Namasaka fled the scene, leaving his lover, the goat-woman alone in his bed. ...

Joel’s father, Peter Wawire told the media his son behaved like a possessed person when his friends brought him home.

‘I was shocked when I saw my son brought home by a bodaboda rider all the way from Kakamega. A few minutes after his arrival, the boy changed and started behaving like a possessed person’.
FULL STORY: https://kasatintin.com/2021/12/16/chaos-as-lady-turns-into-goat-while-in-bed-with-boyfriend/

Very careless. Surley he would know by the smell?

And a goat would be a good thing. Cheap to maintain, and can be sold or eaten.

Residents paint homes with crosses to ward off feared sorcerer
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/crosses-ward-off-feared-sorcerer/

The belief that a supernatural being is lurking nearby has led some residents of a Morelos town to paint white crosses on their homes for protection.

Some Cocoyoc residents say they began hearing strange noises in the early hours of the morning two weeks ago. As they couldn’t attribute the noises to an animal or any other source, they concluded they were made by a nagual (or nahual), which in Mesoamerican folk religion is a human being who has the power to transform, or shape-shift, into an animal.

As they couldn’t attribute the noises to an animal or any other source, they concluded they were made by a nagual (or nahual), which in Mesoamerican folk religion is a human being who has the power to transform, or shape-shift, into an animal.
It's the only obvious conclusion. I think it was Sherlock Holmes who said, 'When one has eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be a wizard in fancy dress.'

Back