• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Share Techniques

ZenDoc

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
It occurs to me that there are probably nearly infinite uses of mind and spirit. This forum may well be an ideal place to ask for techniques and skills that people have found and used. It would be great to collect these and perhaps "drills" to develop the skills. Anyone have anything to share?

meditation for a start

This question is probably more than one thread can handle, so I'll start with something simple: meditation.

regular breathing and focusing the mind can help relax the body. Yoga is a good start for this. (although yoga also uses poses and movement techniques.)

One technique. lay down on your back and close your eyes. concentrate on slowing your breathing and relaxing your body.
While continuing to breath slowly, focus on your head, and relax your head, face and neck.
Visualize the muscles relaxing down into the shoulders and chest. While breathing slower visualize the muscles in your upper arms relaxing and then your lower arms, and then your hands.
The muscles continue to relax and you visualize your stomach and pelvis. There is no tension now as you visualize the upper legs, knees and lower legs relaxing.
The feet and toes are now relaxed, and the whole body is completely relaxed now.
Focus on breathing and total relaxation.

Do not do this exercise while driving. :)

self diagnosis

Although i haven't come across this on a sophisticated level, thinking to times when feverish/coming down with flu and i've had dream like experience of trying to do an equation which keeps exponentially proceeding by itself, could this be an insight into the body's defense mechanism, ie can it be that my conscious brain can watch my unconcious brain maintaining homeostasis and producing white blood cells etc to defeat an infection? If that was the case, could the mind be developed to see images of bones broken, tumours growing etc in one's own body, and project these images to the mind of the person(s) treating same diseases?

Re: self diagnosis

aichdee said:
Although i haven't come across this on a sophisticated level, thinking to times when feverish/coming down with flu and i've had dream like experience of trying to do an equation which keeps exponentially proceeding by itself, could this be an insight into the body's defense mechanism, ie can it be that my conscious brain can watch my unconcious brain maintaining homeostasis and producing white blood cells etc to defeat an infection? If that was the case, could the mind be developed to see images of bones broken, tumours growing etc in one's own body, and project these images to the mind of the person(s) treating same diseases?

There's Norman Spinrad's short story Carcinoma Angels were a man uses visualations to fight his own cancer, albiet in a drugs induced coma.

Ahhhhhh!

Timble 2, that story carries a highly moral ending!
As my osteopath said to me the other day, perhaps there are things we should never be able to explain; it is an acceptable part of being a human being.
Speaking as a medical secretary in an oncology dept though, it would save a lot of running round if our minds could just let us know what is going on and pinpoint the spot!

Back