• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shared Dreams (Same Dream / Multiple Dreamers)

Okay, just checked out a drone video on Youtube. Sounds nothing like what I heard, that's a relief!

:fhtagn: Cthulhu sounds nothing like a drone, believe me! :wink2:

Yesterday, I woke from a slightly disturbing dream in which I had lost all the hair on my head and my beard had dwindled to a weird little Clark Gable-style pencil moustache. When my wife woke, she said she'd had a horrible dream in which all of her hair had fallen out.

There was a memorable episode of the BBC ‘Everyman’ documentary series I recall from the 1980s that dealt with the subject of lucid dreaming. I located it on YouTube, see:
A bit dated now, but still a fascinating watch.
Of particular relevance to this thread, about 36 minutes in a tale is recounted of three lucid dreamer friends who conduct an experiment to arrange to “meet” within a lucid dream.

Great find, @Amergin ! I strongly remember the lady who had the unintentional realistic dreams she kept waking up from, over and over, beginning to panic that she didn't know if she was awake or not. That bloke who spent a year in a dream hospital in excruciating pain because he couldn't wake up is a reason why I won't bother pursuing lucid dreaming.

So when're we all trying this?

Thanks
Strangely, this programme dovetails nicely into the Mandela Effect for me! In those heady 1980s days I was just getting into synth music (synth obsessive to this day). I heard a piece of music during that episode - I remember it clearly - played around the words of Shakespeare, “We are such stuff as dreams are made on...” at the end. It was a tune I had heard once or twice before and this set me on a quest to find it. A few years later I did, finally discovering Brian Eno’s beautiful ‘Music for Airports’. “At last! That’s it!” I thought.
It was actually a re-listening of the CD that inspired me to seek out the programme on YouTube. Upon finding it of course, there was nothing there. Some light tinkling instrumental, but definitely not the Brian Eno piece.

My mother and I often have similar dreams but not quite the same. I was staying with her last month and on the same night we both dreamt that her garden ornaments had been knocked over, in my dream they were knocked down by wild boars running amok in the garden and in hers it was done by elves.

Well, they look alike, don't they, wild boars and elves.

What a great thread! I have had a few experiences of shared dreams over the course of my life. I assume these happen more frequently than people think, because our social norm (in industrialized nations) is to disbelieve these occurrences, and because people usually forget their dreams. Here is one of mine. I’ll post others as I think of them.

It was 1990. My brief fiancée (Brief! Oh thank God brief!) was given a medal by a high ranking government official, and he bought a new tie for the event. It was expensive, and he would not tell me how much he paid because he was uncomfortable with his extravagance. I had dreamed of him before, and thought we were sharing dreams, but he refused to discuss such an unscientific possibility. Well, we had an argument about the tie.

That night, I dreamed that he and I were walking by a lake in the moonlight, which was something we did in waking life. As the dream ended, I asked him how much he spent on the tie, and he responded $67. The next day, I told him I knew how much he spent on the tie, and that it was $67. He was shocked – deeply as it turned out – and asked me how I knew. I told him he had told me in our dream from the night before. He refused to think this could have happened, and we had a huge fight about it, in which he demanded to know how I knew. I think I finally persuaded him that I had actually dreamed it. He decided it was just a coincidence that I had dreamed the actual price. His world view – scientist and sciencismist that he was – would not allow any other explanation.

Very shortly after, he broke off the engagement because of my knowing the tie price. He told me he could never trust me again, however I had discovered the price; that he was apprehensive about me; and that was that. There were other issues in the relationship, but the tie dream evidence was more than he could ever deal with.

Random thoughts on shared dream experiments. I salute anyone who is actually doing planned dream experiments (Gattino, this means you). That takes commitment and work. Very exciting to read about this here.

I am convinced that shared dreams can occur, because I have experienced them, and have had post-dream waking conversations with the other dreamer, in which the details of the shared dream were discussed. This type of experience does little or nothing to convince others, because it is not structured with planned checks and balances, and evidence, as Gattino & Co are doing. My shared dreams have occurred more than once, and the specificity of details have convinced me that the sceptical response that it was just a coincidence or I have misremembered or that I am lying is not true in my case.

A few of my shared dreams were highly personal (no, not sexual in nature, for you prurient readers :) ) so I will not be sharing them. I think that natural shared dreams, as opposed to planned experimental dreams, occur most often when there is a need for information to be communicated; this has been my experience. Only one of my shared dreams was of a trivial nature.

My shared dreams, in addition with other weird experiences, have been fundamental in my developing a coherent, but certainly not complete!, ontology or metaphysical worldview.

My shared dreams have occurred more than once, and the specificity of details have convinced me that the sceptical response that it was just a coincidence or I have misremembered or that I am lying is not true in my case.
Great post, thanks Endlessly Amazed!
Could you give us an example of details that were convincingly specific? (Not the personal ones of course! And not so they can be analyzed out of significance—just for a clearer illustration of your experience.)

Hi IbisNibs – As requested.
Specific details from shared dreams which were natural and unplanned:

1. Price of 1990’s man’s tie: $67US. Verified. This was detailed in an earlier posting.

2. A cat in a small aviary, killing the birds while ignoring the other person’s pleas to stop. In this shared dream, I was the cat, and it was wonderful to be hunting and biting small birds which could not escape. The other person was shouting at me to stop. In waking, real life, the other person was my room mate, and his shouting in his sleep woke both him and me up. Verified.

3. Also, not an entirely shared dream, but: I dreamed that someone I knew was driving at night, drunk, down a one-way street the wrong way in the town in which he lived, while being aware of me in his vehicle and ignoring me while I begged him to stop driving as he was going the wrong way. He was angry at me. He was then arrested for DUI (driving under the influence).

All this actually happened to the person in waking reality, so not a shared dream, but rather was a dream for me in which I was aware of an actual event at the time it occurred. When I awoke, I immediately got money together to bail this person out from jail. Later that morning, the person phoned me to ask for bail money. When I told him I had it already put together, he was shocked. He then confessed to what I had dreamed and told me that he could not get me “out of his head” while he was drunk driving and he was even more determined to continue drunk driving to show me I couldn’t tell him what to do. In waking reality, his drinking was a sore point between us for years before his DUI.

So, WTF?!? Reality is weirder than we can imagine.

That might be an interesting new line of enquiry...psi experiences while intoxicated.

That sounds like a joke ..and the trope about people who are witnesses to the uncanny being asked if they'd been drinking , as if alcohol normally causes hallucinations, is a tired one thats been talked about on these boards before.

But thinking about it if alcohol removes inhibitions, which it does, might one of those inhibitions be that which blocks the free functioning of psi?

Are there any stories or anecdotes to suggest that might be a thing?

One's just popped into my head this very moment! Ted Serios, the famed practitioner of so called Thoughtography ( imposing mental images onto photographic film) was I seem to recall an alcoholic and could , latterly at least, only produce the effects when utterly trashed I remember reading.

Here's a passage from his entry in the online psi encyclopedia

"Another reason this case is so fascinating is that Serios himself was an intriguing character—and hardly the ideal subject. For one thing, he was an alcoholic, and he preferred to work in a state of considerable inebriation. Eisenbud estimated that, during the three year-period of 1964 through ’67, Ted consumed ‘several thousand quarts of hard liquor and beer as heavy drinking turned out to be a regular part of the picture taking ritual’.4 As a result, Ted often became more difficult to manage as the sessions progressed. This undoubtedly fueled the skepticism of some critics."

Last edited:
Gattino –

I don’t have any stories to support the idea of alcohol removing inhibitions, but I think it is likely. I also remember reading the same stuff about Serios being an alcoholic.

I suspect that anything which removes or diminishes our attention to consensual reality (AKA “reality”) can have the effect of allowing us to sense (see, hear, feel) things which exist outside of our usual reality.

These disinhibiters (?) can be very young age (un-narrowed filter for experience), conscious awareness factors (drink, drugs, head injury, meditation, prayer, adult survivors of violent physical or emotional abuse), or extreme, focused attention to non-consensual reality (magic).

All these factors may produce imaginary effects which are indistinguishable from an actual non-consensual occurrence. Of course, all these things are exactly what planned scientific experiments try to exclude as a confounding variable. Alas, it may be that someone is delusional and at the same time experiencing an actual non-consensual event.

That’s why experiments like you are conducting, and natural, verified experiences, are so valuable. The thousands of events, including shared dreams, which the SPR collected 140 years ago, are now largely dismissed. Its time to start all over again. Please continue to post! I, for one, am rivited.

My mum and I did it again last night, had a similar dream though not exactly the same. We both dreamt we were hiding in a wardrobe, in my mum's case it was from burglars and in mine it was from a stalker.
I'm trying to think if there has been anything on the telly or radio recently about hiding in a wardrobe but I can't think of anything.

Back