• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shared Strangeness At Night

XEPER_

Death to all but metal
Woke up the other night, about 2 in the morning,all fairly dark but I thought I could see a figure walking out the room. Female, pretty tall. Could even hear the soft footsteps on the carpet.
I read, and listen to a lot of podcasts, about the paranormal so I just put it down to my imagination. No idea what really woke me, but never mind, I lay there trying not to feel too scared, telling myself the 'footsteps' were just the clock ticking.

Less than a minute later my sleeping wife jerks and makes a startled sound. At the same time, my son in the next room whimpers and mumbles something.
I look at my wife in the darkness and say, "You okay?"
She says, "Did you not hear that?"
"Hear what?"
"It sounded like...two books falling."
Now I was already awake, so I KNOW there wasn't any thumping noise, but after my own "bad dream", the fact that her AND my son both seemed to hear something at the same exact moment just after it really freaked me out.

Ooh that's a bit odd. How old is your son? Experienced all kinds of wierdness when mine were little. Hope you don't mind me asking!

Your wife may have had a hypnopompic experience. More than once, I've been semi-wakeful and clearly heard very loud noises - but they were merely dream state carry-overs.
Yes I've had them often. I'm also an old hand at sleep paralysis.
But for her and my son to both make a noise at the same time seemed odd.

I don't know the child in question so it is hard to know what his sleep patterns may be. His moaning may have been purely coincidental.

On the other hand, there is a special bond between mothers and young children. Wouldn't it be cool if the mother heard a sound that actually occurred in the dream of her child? :)

... Now I was already awake, so I KNOW there wasn't any thumping noise, but after my own "bad dream", the fact that her AND my son both seemed to hear something at the same exact moment just after it really freaked me out.

There's a more prosaic explanation that fits ... There actually was an external / objective disturbance (most probably a sound) that all three of you 'heard' while asleep. You were the one closest to 'the surface' and awoke first. It took a minute or so for the wife and child to surface from sleep phases deeper than the state from which you'd emerged.

Hello Xeper, thank you for an interesting and rather chilling account of your experience. Thank you, also, for giving me the impetus to join in with the forums again. All I've contributed so far is a lot of nonsense about rice, and really, I must have more to give, no matter how tedious. Your experience has encouraged me to stop reading and start doing. I hope what I am about to write is mildly interesting.

Shared strangeness at night. I have a few things like this, I'll share one.

Roughly 12 years ago, my sister and I took a holiday in Tunisia. The hotel this incident took place in was, from memory, fairly bog standard, but very nice, and only for an over-night stay. You entered the room through a door leading into a corridor, with the bathroom on your left. A sort of L-shaped room, if you imagine the foot of the L to be swollen.
We spent the evening killing a copious amount of mosquitoes, before turning in. I don't know what time it was, but at some point during the night I awoke with a sense of acute dread, covered in sweat. Well, nothing odd about the sweat, not in North Africa, but the feeling of fear was unusual and inexplicable.
It wasn't entirely dark, there were orange-shaded lights outside the room, giving it a rather burnt tomato soup sort of colour. As my sleep-raddled eyes adjusted to the gloom I could distinctly make out the shape of a black-clad male figure by the corner wall where the long upright part of the L joined the fat horizontal square of the L. (I hope this makes some sort of sense. Also, I say it was male, it could've been female, but it felt like a big chunky bloke). It probably only lasted a matter of seconds, but seemed much longer.
Anyway, eventually I fell back to sleep, but when I awoke it immediately all came to mind. I put it down to silly dreams, being in a different country and an unfamiliar bed. And that would be that, were it not for, as we drank our coffee and planned our day, my sister hadn't (I forget the exact words, it was ages ago) said something about waking up and seeing a man standing in the room. She said she laid there, prostrate with terror, feeling as though "it" was watching her. I don't recall what she said about it leaving the room or if she fell back to sleep before it did. I do remember she said it very matter-of-factly, as though awakening in a foreign hotel and seeing something resembling the Grim Reaper was utterly normal, and appeared in the Rough Guide to Tunisia as an overlooked footnote. I do still remember the peculiar combination of being bloody hot from the already scorching day, coupled with iciness running down my spine. I even remember my blue, green and white-striped pyjama bottoms, which is ridiculous.
Her account of the previous night was the same as mine. Woke up, scary man by the wall, thinking oh shit we're going to be murdered in our beds. Oh, I feel so sleepy. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

And, of course, there could be a disappointingly prosaic, mundane and boring reason for this. A member of staff coming in to do something or other is the most obvious solution (but in the middle of the night?). I know we locked the door, we're fastidious about that, and checked it after we talked the matter over. It was locked. Staff keys, though...it was probably nothing, but it still gives me the shits.
We've talked about if occasionally since, and had a rather similar experience which, if any of you fancy hearing, I'll gladly tell.

I apologise for drawing this out. I hope it wasn't "off topic", and I hope it wasn't too dreadfully boring.

I don't know the child in question so it is hard to know what his sleep patterns may be. His moaning may have been purely coincidental.

On the other hand, there is a special bond between mothers and young children. Wouldn't it be cool if the mother heard a sound that actually occurred in the dream of her child? :)
Oooh, I hadn't thought of that! My daughter and I have had things like that happen (both having a dream about a deer the same night for example) so that's an interesting idea you have!

There's a more prosaic explanation that fits ... There actually was an external / objective disturbance (most probably a sound) that all three of you 'heard' while asleep. You were the one closest to 'the surface' and awoke first. It took a minute or so for the wife and child to surface from sleep phases deeper than the state from which you'd emerged.
Possibly! I'm sure there IS a prosaic explanation (coincidence) so I'm not averse to that idea. Much prefer it the thought of a ghost in the house :actw:

Hello Xeper, thank you for an interesting and rather chilling account of your experience. Thank you, also, for giving me the impetus to join in with the forums again. All I've contributed so far is a lot of nonsense about rice, and really, I must have more to give, no matter how tedious. Your experience has encouraged me to stop reading and start doing. I hope what I am about to write is mildly interesting.

Roughly 12 years ago, my sister and I took a holiday in Tunisia. The hotel this incident took place in was, from memory, fairly bog standard, but very nice, and only for an over-night stay. You entered the room through a door leading into a corridor, with the bathroom on your left. A sort of L-shaped room, if you imagine the foot of the L to be swollen.
We spent the evening killing a copious amount of mosquitoes, before turning in. I don't know what time it was, but at some point during the night I awoke with a sense of acute dread, covered in sweat. Well, nothing odd about the sweat, not in North Africa, but the feeling of fear was unusual and inexplicable.
It wasn't entirely dark, there were orange-shaded lights outside the room, giving it a rather burnt tomato soup sort of colour. As my sleep-raddled eyes adjusted to the gloom I could distinctly make out the shape of a black-clad male figure by the corner wall where the long upright part of the L joined the fat horizontal square of the L. (I hope this makes some sort of sense. Also, I say it was male, it could've been female, but it felt like a big chunky bloke). It probably only lasted a matter of seconds, but seemed much longer.
Anyway, eventually I fell back to sleep, but when I awoke it immediately all came to mind. I put it down to silly dreams, being in a different country and an unfamiliar bed. And that would be that, were it not for, as we drank our coffee and planned our day, my sister hadn't (I forget the exact words, it was ages ago) said something about waking up and seeing a man standing in the room. She said she laid there, prostrate with terror, feeling as though "it" was watching her. I don't recall what she said about it leaving the room or if she fell back to sleep before it did. I do remember she said it very matter-of-factly, as though awakening in a foreign hotel and seeing something resembling the Grim Reaper was utterly normal, and appeared in the Rough Guide to Tunisia as an overlooked footnote. I do still remember the peculiar combination of being bloody hot from the already scorching day, coupled with iciness running down my spine. I even remember my blue, green and white-striped pyjama bottoms, which is ridiculous.
Her account of the previous night was the same as mine. Woke up, scary man by the wall, thinking oh shit we're going to be murdered in our beds. Oh, I feel so sleepy. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

And, of course, there could be a disappointingly prosaic, mundane and boring reason for this. A member of staff coming in to do something or other is the most obvious solution (but in the middle of the night?). I know we locked the door, we're fastidious about that, and checked it after we talked the matter over. It was locked. Staff keys, though...it was probably nothing, but it still gives me the shits.
We've talked about if occasionally since, and had a rather similar experience which, if any of you fancy hearing, I'll gladly tell.

I apologise for drawing this out. I hope it wasn't "off topic", and I hope it wasn't too dreadfully boring.

Brilliant story, not boring at all, please do tell the other one!

For me, the thing in these stories is the fact the people experiencing them just go back to sleep. If there was a REAL person in the room with us we would surely shout or jump up or....something other than fall back asleep I would hope?

If neither of you saw the figure move, and you both fell back to sleep immediately afterwards, is there any chance that it was a shadow thrown by something outside (or inside), your brain recognised that fact and sent you back to sleep whilst your imagination was still thinking it was a real person? If you only spent one night there, you wouldn't have had chance to repeat the experience the following night...

Am thinking about occasions when, lighting in the right place, my dressing gown on the bed end has been revealed to be a figure with murderous intent....

I
If neither of you saw the figure move, and you both fell back to sleep immediately afterwards, is there any chance that it was a shadow thrown by something outside (or inside), your brain recognised that fact and sent you back to sleep whilst your imagination was still thinking it was a real person? If you only spent one night there, you wouldn't have had chance to repeat the experience the following night...

Am thinking about occasions when, lighting in the right place, my dressing gown on the bed end has been revealed to be a figure with murderous intent....

I remember an episode of Bergerac where a hooded monk figure freaked me out (I was just a boy). I woke up in the middle of the night, terrified at the hooded monk at my door.
It was my coat hanging up! :rollingw:

is there any chance that it was a shadow thrown by something outside (or inside)

Yes, yes, of course you're right, it may well have been that. It's an odd thing, but only now I've written it down do I start to think more about what it was. It's always been a case of one of us saying "Remember that time in Tunisia when somebody / something came into our room?", and not considering we both saw something which was already in the room.
It was so long ago that the memory of something peculiar happening has rather overlayed any sense of objectivity, but as I recall there could be nothing, in that particular spot, which could be an item of clothing, a piece of furniture, or a shadow. We'd been chatting in the dark - a general habit when we're staying somewhere together, even in a tent - and would've noticed a shadow.
I'm still firmly of the belief it was just an odd moment, and not a bit some weird and other-worldly manifestation. It was scary, though, afterward.
Probably a member of staff, not realising the room was occupied, coming in to do some over-night job. It will never stop giving us the shits, though, and I wouldn't want it to!

If there was a REAL person in the room with us we would surely shout or jump up or....something other than fall back asleep I would hope?

Well, this is it, isn't it? To awake and be in a genuinely dangerous situation, you would hope you'd know that and be able to defend yourself. But what if you assumed it was a dream, and the truth only hit you when some physical violence was applied to you? So many times I've scared myself at night with imaginings and put it down to a waking dream. What if a real intruder entered your room and you put it down to a dream, then fell asleep and woke up to find...if, indeed, you did wake up...

And also, God! That episode of Bergerac! Fires in the Fall. I won't ever forget watching it with my dad and being utterly terrified by it! In a good and welcome way, of course.

Anyway, I mentioned another, quite similar, experience, and I'll retail it to you now. It isn't much, but I hope some of you find it interesting.

Again, it concerns my sister and me, on holiday. This time in Croatia. A place called Porec. It was only the year before last, so I can remember the name of the place - The Laguna Bellevue Apartments.
Very nice indeed, I recommend them.
We had booked a twin room. My sister had packed her ear plugs, expecting a week of noisy, disruptive snoring (I have sleep apnoaea and sound like a boar being slaughtered with a chainsaw when I snore). You'll understand our surprise and delight upon finding - and heaven knows why - that upon arrival we had, not only a large living room, kitchen and bathroom that, somehow, we also had separate bedrooms, both en-suite. So, three bathrooms and a bedroom each divided by the communal areas. Ridiculous for two people on a budget holiday, and very much appreciated. I'm making a point of explaining this vastness so as to make it clear we were not really very close together, as in the Tunisian story, which - to me - makes what happened odder.
One night, I forget which, but in the first few days, I awoke 'knowing' something was wrong. I can't give it words, it was just a sense of the room feeling somehow different. My bed had its head against a wall with the door directly opposite. The window and balcony were to my left, the bathroom to my right.
This feeling of wrongness became a feeling of intrusion, and the fear I suddenly (why is it always 'suddenly'?) felt something to my left, by the windows. I can't tell how long it lasted, but I felt fear before the internal dialogue of "Stop being a pranny, there's nothing there" abated enough for me to turn and look.
Sure enough, there was something there. The same tall dark man that is common in all these stories. I won't deny I was scared. My breath came in short bursts and I desperately needed a wee. It was the wee that sorted it out. I managed to tell myself there couldn't possibly be anyone there. I can't remember now if I still believed there to be someone / thing in the room, or if I'd convinced myself I was imagining things, but I do remember crawling out of bed, aware of my nakedness, and walking backward to the loo.
I was still frit after I'd done my business, but as I left the bathroom the fear left me a tad. I got into bed and, fairly soon, I was asleep.

Sitting on the main balcony next morning, drinking coffee and smoking fags - shamefully the only breakfast I ever have - we were planning our day. I recall being pissed off that we couldn't go to the aquarium, but we could go shopping...Anyway, my dream - which is what I'd decided it was - came back to me. I began to talk about it, and my sister interrupted by saying something like "Oh yes, there was somebody in my room last night. He stood by the window, watching me. I just ignored him, same as in Tunisia. He went eventually". She was so blasé about it, and that helped. Later, of course, she showed more fear, but it was gone and we were fine, so... even so, it was scary. That night I was almost hoping it happened again, but it didn't.
We've been away together many times, only these two times have had this happen. There's no link between them, Tunisia is a world away from Croatia. The accomodation wasn't similar, and our states of mind completely different, I think. The part of it which I find remarkable is our both being in separate rooms, with acres of space between us. Burglar? Nothing was missing. Sex pest? Well, no, we were both very much as intact as we'd arrived.
So, there it is. I know it's daft and has a prosaic and grey explanation, but it was scary at the time, and still gives the chillspines when I think of it. That said, I want it to happen again. We're going to Corfu next month...

Anyway, I mentioned another, quite similar, experience, and I'll retail it to you now. It isn't much, but I hope some of you find it interesting.

Again, it concerns my sister and me, on holiday. This time in Croatia. A place called Porec. It was only the year before last, so I can remember the name of the place - The Laguna Bellevue Apartments.
Very nice indeed, I recommend them.
We had booked a twin room. My sister had packed her ear plugs, expecting a week of noisy, disruptive snoring (I have sleep apnoaea and sound like a boar being slaughtered with a chainsaw when I snore). You'll understand our surprise and delight upon finding - and heaven knows why - that upon arrival we had, not only a large living room, kitchen and bathroom that, somehow, we also had separate bedrooms, both en-suite. So, three bathrooms and a bedroom each divided by the communal areas. Ridiculous for two people on a budget holiday, and very much appreciated. I'm making a point of explaining this vastness so as to make it clear we were not really very close together, as in the Tunisian story, which - to me - makes what happened odder.
One night, I forget which, but in the first few days, I awoke 'knowing' something was wrong. I can't give it words, it was just a sense of the room feeling somehow different. My bed had its head against a wall with the door directly opposite. The window and balcony were to my left, the bathroom to my right.
This feeling of wrongness became a feeling of intrusion, and the fear I suddenly (why is it always 'suddenly'?) felt something to my left, by the windows. I can't tell how long it lasted, but I felt fear before the internal dialogue of "Stop being a pranny, there's nothing there" abated enough for me to turn and look.
Sure enough, there was something there. The same tall dark man that is common in all these stories. I won't deny I was scared. My breath came in short bursts and I desperately needed a wee. It was the wee that sorted it out. I managed to tell myself there couldn't possibly be anyone there. I can't remember now if I still believed there to be someone / thing in the room, or if I'd convinced myself I was imagining things, but I do remember crawling out of bed, aware of my nakedness, and walking backward to the loo.
I was still frit after I'd done my business, but as I left the bathroom the fear left me a tad. I got into bed and, fairly soon, I was asleep.

Sitting on the main balcony next morning, drinking coffee and smoking fags - shamefully the only breakfast I ever have - we were planning our day. I recall being pissed off that we couldn't go to the aquarium, but we could go shopping...Anyway, my dream - which is what I'd decided it was - came back to me. I began to talk about it, and my sister interrupted by saying something like "Oh yes, there was somebody in my room last night. He stood by the window, watching me. I just ignored him, same as in Tunisia. He went eventually". She was so blasé about it, and that helped. Later, of course, she showed more fear, but it was gone and we were fine, so... even so, it was scary. That night I was almost hoping it happened again, but it didn't.
We've been away together many times, only these two times have had this happen. There's no link between them, Tunisia is a world away from Croatia. The accomodation wasn't similar, and our states of mind completely different, I think. The part of it which I find remarkable is our both being in separate rooms, with acres of space between us. Burglar? Nothing was missing. Sex pest? Well, no, we were both very much as intact as we'd arrived.
So, there it is. I know it's daft and has a prosaic and grey explanation, but it was scary at the time, and still gives the chillspines when I think of it. That said, I want it to happen again. We're going to Corfu next month...

Hmmm....you obviously saw that episode of Bergerac I did. What about your sister? Is it possibe it's stayed with both of you all this time so now any nocturnal shadow becomes that scary figure for both of you?

Perhaps a particularly creepy member of staff with keys, although that's just as scary as any alternative.

I've always travelled with several small oak door wedges...
I just put a chair up against the door. I'd wake up if there was any noise of it moving.
Which reminds me....!
But that's a story for another day. :joint:

My husband woke me up the other night, telling me that he had heard someone call my name twice. I got up and dressed quickly, thinking one of our neighbours was in trouble. We live in a Victorian terraced house so you can hear raised voices quite clearly.

There was nothing at all, not either side or outside in the street. When I asked him, he said it was odd because the voice was disembodied and he couldn’t tell where it came from.

He’s a very heavy sleeper whereas everything wakes me up, but I heard nothing. He isn’t given to jokes and he doesn’t believe in the paranormal although he knows about a few experiences that I have had which I’ve posted on here before. He wouldn’t have woken me up unless he genuinely heard the voice. So there we are.

Could it have been your own voice, talking in your sleep?

Could it have been your own voice, talking in your sleep?
That’s a good question. I don’t think so. He was sleeping in the spare room across a small landing, so I think if I had shouted loudly enough to wake him, I’d have woken myself up as well.

That’s a good question. I don’t think so. He was sleeping in the spare room across a small landing, so I think if I had shouted loudly enough to wake him, I’d have woken myself up as well.

Ah, sorry, I thought you were in the same room! Maybe a possibility, sound travels better at night (unless that's an urban myth?).

No, I should have made it clear we were in different rooms

Back