Shark Attacks

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A possible shark attack in Maine - not a place where shark attacks are known to be likely ...
Woman killed in an apparent shark attack in Maine

A woman swimming off the coast of Maine was killed Monday after being injured in "what appeared to be a shark attack," according to a statement from Maine Department of Marine Resources.

The victim, whose identity is being withheld pending notification of her family, was swimming off the shore of Bailey Island, an island in Casco Bay, when she was injured, a witness told the Maine Marine Patrol. The witness added that it appeared to be a shark attack.

"Kayakers nearby brought her to shore and EMS responders were called to the scene where she was pronounced deceased," the statement said.

Shark attacks are rare for the state of Maine. The International Shark Attack File, a global database of shark attacks, only listed one unprovoked shack attack in the state. That happened in 2010, according to CNN news partner CBC, when a commercial diver working in the Bay of Fundy was attacked by a porbeagle shark. The diver was uninjured and captured the incident on video. Officials believe the shark thought the diver's camera was food, according to CBC. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/us/possible-shark-attack-maine-trnd/index.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Update on the Maine story ... Officials have confirmed it was a shark attack, and a recovered tooth indicates it was a great white.
First fatal shark attack in Maine blamed on great white

Maine officials said Tuesday that a great white shark was responsible for killing a woman off the coast -- the first fatal attack in the state's recorded history.

Julie Holowach, 63, died Monday after a shark bit her while she swam near Bailey Island.

Patrick Keliher of the Maine Department of Marine Resources said a recovered tooth matched those belonging to a great white shark. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/202...in-Maine-blamed-on-great-white/4621595959441/

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Again, this shows how desperate sharks are getting for food thanks to overfishing of the oceans.

LordRsmacker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Again, this shows how desperate sharks are getting for food thanks to overfishing of the oceans.
And how lucky this shark has been, seeing how sharks in particular have been given such a hammering

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Truly desperate:

A GREAT white shark is feared to be stalking UK waters, after the carcasses of two dolphins were washed up on a beach popular with holidaymakers. The gruesome discoveries were made this weekend in Great Yarmouth on the Norfolk coast, near to where a half-eaten four foot-long seal was found last year.

Great Yarmouth is one of a number of popular holiday seaside towns along the Lincolnshire, Norfolk and Suffolk coasts including Cromer

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6284476/great-white-shark-uk-coast-dolphins-norfolk/

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
I've got an idea that one of the reasons that we're seeing sharks in places not known for them is the change of temperature of the oceans, causing a change in the quality and quantity of currents. There are plenty of fish around the coastlines, which is usually where the Marine Parks are.

Great whites do like the odd seal or five and usually hang out around nurseries and resting points of seals - they also help clean up cetacean carcasses.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Great whites have been recorded as far north as Iceland; I would be happy with one on the west coast.

But North sea? Who knows?

There certainly have been a big population explosion of seals in this country. If it didnt mind cooler seas, might make a nice summer holiday jaunt

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Ata boy Bruce!

A man leapt from his surfboard on to a shark that was attacking his wife, repeatedly punching the animal until it let go, Australian media report.

Chantelle Doyle, 35, was surfing off Shelly Beach at Port Macquarie, New South Wales, when the attack took place. Her husband punched the shark until it released its grip and then helped Ms Doyle to the shore. She was airlifted to hospital with serious injuries to her right leg.

Experts quoted by the Port Macquarie News believed Ms Doyle had been mauled by a juvenile great white shark up to 3m (10ft) in length.

Surf Life Saving NSW chief executive Steven Pearce praised the husband - named by media as Mark Rapley - for his quick action.

"This fella paddled over and jumped off his board on to the shark and hit it to get it to release her and then assisted her back into the beach," he said, quoted by the Sydney Morning Herald. "Pretty full on, really heroic."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-53792016

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
46-year-old surfer killed in shark attack at Australian beach

An Australian man died Tuesday after being attacked by a shark while surfing at a Gold Coast beach.

Nick Slater, 46, was attacked while surfing at Greenmount beach and sustained injuries to his legs before dying at the beach despite efforts to save his life at the scene. ...

Gold Coast Mayor Thomas Tate urged residents to stay away from the beach, confirming this was the first fatal shark attack in the area since 1958. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-...ark-attack-at-Australian-beach/4701599609452/