• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Wasn't sure which thread was best to post this.
Bournemouth beach closed this afternoon, due to "large animal" spotted close to the shore.

Basking shark?
We don't get Great Whites off the English south coast do we?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-58090890

I would've thought that the water around the south coast was a bit warm for them, but they do like seals, so if you have seals congregating - my belief would be that they're occasionally there.

I would've thought that the water around the south coast was a bit warm for them, but they do like seals, so if you have seals congregating - my belief would be that they're occasionally there.

Too right. Don't swim with seals, don't swim in kelp beds and don't swim in dirty/muddy/cloudy water.
This is a little too close for comfort (off the California coast):

Too right. Don't swim with seals, don't swim in kelp beds and don't swim in dirty/muddy/cloudy water.
This is a little too close for comfort (off the California coast):

Geeze eh!

Leopard seals are pretty evil. I know they have to eat but I don't like them.
They are the ugliest of the seals

Leopard_Seal.png

I remember seeing a TV programme about possibly great white sightings off the coast of Cornwall. Some of the eye witness accounts were very convincing. I can't remember when the programme was made or by who. I would say it was unlikely its a great white but not impossible.

I remember seeing a TV programme about possibly great white sightings off the coast of Cornwall. Some of the eye witness accounts were very convincing. I can't remember when the programme was made or by who. I would say it was unlikely its a great white but not impossible.
As the seas warm up I guess some of the much bigger ones will start exploring our coastal areas.

Just hours ago off the coast of New South Wales, Australia:

Man in his 20s dies after shark attack at Emerald Beach, Coffs Harbour​

Three beaches have been closed by lifeguards after a man died from “significant” injuries sustained during a shark attack on the NSW north coast.
The man, believed to be in his 20s, was bitten on his arm at Shelly Beach, north of Coffs Harbour, just before 11am on Sunday.

The man had “significant” injuries to his arm, with four ambulance crews and the Westpac Rescue Helicopter, which included a critical care doctor and critical care paramedic, were deployed to assist him with CPR.

The man was pulled from the water but despite the efforts of emergency crews to revive him, he died at the scene.

“It was a devastating for everybody on the beach this morning,” NSW Ambulance’s Chris Wilson said.

“A number of local surfers and bystanders came to the aid of this man, they were incredibly brave in a very challenging situation.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...r/news-story/b7c4abe574d14bad3152ad8da5eb5279

Whilst shopping yesterday we went to the wet fish stall in Chelmsford, unfortunately they had no shark so we had to suffice with attacking a Sea Bream each for dinner last night.

Great white attack in South Africa takes the leg off it's victim:

Horror moment man loses leg in shark attack​

This is the horrific moment a man lost his leg in a Great White shark attack as a group of heroic swimmers dragged him to shore.
Michael Cohen, 43, from the UK, was snapped as he was treated by medical staff on Fish Hoek beach, South Africa — just moments after the 3.4-metre beast had attempted to maul him to death.

Doctors on the scene confirmed that he needed seven litres of blood as he was swiftly rushed to a nearby hospital following the attack back in 2011.

His doctor, Professor Nicol, confirmed that the man had suffered a near fatal injury – tearing his femoral artery and vein.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...k/news-story/bec9f10461ccb2038c1ffda393871bcc

I used to swim there.

Emergency services are searching for a man who is believed to have been attacked by a shark off Port Beach in North Fremantle, Western Australia, on Saturday morning.

WA police said that water police, police air wing, Surf Life Saving and the Surf Rescue helicopter responded to reports of a shark attack off Port Beach at 10.10am Saturday morning.

Water police were co-ordinating a marine search for the missing man, whose age had not yet been confirmed.

A spokesperson for St John’s Ambulance WA said they had received a call at 10.03am of a shark bite and sent three crew to the scene.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-attack-search-for-missing-man-off-port-beach

I used to swim there.

Emergency services are searching for a man who is believed to have been attacked by a shark off Port Beach in North Fremantle, Western Australia, on Saturday morning.

WA police said that water police, police air wing, Surf Life Saving and the Surf Rescue helicopter responded to reports of a shark attack off Port Beach at 10.10am Saturday morning.

Water police were co-ordinating a marine search for the missing man, whose age had not yet been confirmed.

A spokesperson for St John’s Ambulance WA said they had received a call at 10.03am of a shark bite and sent three crew to the scene.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-attack-search-for-missing-man-off-port-beach

I don't think there's much hope for him when two sharks were involved. The search continues for him this morning:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...e/news-story/f00a20a456cac6de64a0450df1cd3306

Porbeagles can top 400 lbs and you can get Blue and Mako off Cornwall as well - but for all round entertainment nothing beats Thresher sharks. I saw a couple off shore from the cliffs, HUGE buggers but harmless (unless you try to land one on a boat) - but when the paddlers and swimmers finally cottoned on to their presence, I nearly fell off the cliffs in laughter.

Two teens bitten by the same shark in Victoria, Australia yesterday. Fortunately, the attack was not fatal.

Teens hospitalised after shark attack at Ocean Grove Beach near Geelong​

A Victorian beach remains closed this morning after a shark attack on Monday night left two teens injured.

The pair was taken to Geelong Hospital for treatment and were in a stable condition.

Locals said the girl was bitten on the lower leg by a reef shark in shallow water.

The boy came to her rescue and was also bitten when he tried to fight off the shark.

Onlookers provided first aid to the pair.

Former trauma nurse Dianne Hobbs was swimming with her family nearby when the attack happened.

"At first we thought they were just mucking around and having some fun, and then they appeared in distress," she told ABC Radio Melbourne.

Ms Hobbs said the girl sustained a large bite to her lower right leg, and the boy was bitten on the back.

"We needed extra help bringing her out of the water to try and lift her up out of the water because she was losing quite a bit of blood."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12...rk-attack-ocean-grove-beach-geelong/100678648

A California surfer was killed by an apparent shark attack on Xmas Eve.
Surfer killed in fatal shark attack at California beach, officials say

A male surfer was killed in a shark attack in Morro Bay, California, on Christmas Eve, the Morro Bay Harbor Department confirmed to CNN.

"Harbor, Police and Fire Departments responded to a report of a male victim unresponsive on the beach after he was pulled from the water suffering from an apparent shark attack," the Harbor Department said in a statement.

Officials located the male surfer at 10:48 a.m. PT off Morro Bay State Park beach, according to Harbor Director Eric Endersby. Morro Bay is 15 miles west of San Luis Obispo.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

The San Luis Obispo County Coroner's Office has identified the victim and is working to notify the next of kin ...

While the beaches in the Morro Bay and State Parks area currently remain open, authorities have ordered beachgoers to stay out of the water for the next 24 hours.

"It's a horrible accident," Endersby said. "Fortunately, the weather and wind has ruined the surf, so there are not many surfers, but we've closed the waters for safety." ...
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/24/us/morro-bay-shark-attack/index.html

Incredible photo shows huge 15ft great white shark with massive BITE MARK on its body caused by mystery beast

THESE incredible images show the scars of a 15ft great white shark bitten by a mystery beast.

Jalil Najafov, 40, was diving in Isla Guadalupe, Mexico, when he made the rare discovery.

NINTCHDBPICT000702594871.jpg

The shark can be seen swimming in the ocean with jagged puncture marks stretching the width of two of its fins.

It is not clear how or when the fish was bitten - but the result is a huge, bloodless, circular scar.

Jalil, who is originally from Azerbaijan, said: “I was really surprised as I have never seen anything like this in my life.

“This bite mark was so huge on a big shark, and I was like, is that real?

“I have worked with sharks for many years and have never seen such a big scar before!"

NINTCHDBPICT000702595231.jpg

Jalil said he reached out to two shark experts as a result - and they both ruled out the same thing.

“What caused the bite mark was a big discussion on social media with many commenters fighting between two opinions, mating scar or act of aggression," Jalil said.

“After I sent this image to Dr Tristan Guttridge, he ruled out mating.

“I also sent it to Michael Domeier who also felt it was an attack from another shark.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17175719/incredible-photo-shark-bite-mystery-beast/

maximus otter

It does look like a shark bite. A really huge shark.

Incredible photo shows huge 15ft great white shark with massive BITE MARK on its body caused by mystery beast

THESE incredible images show the scars of a 15ft great white shark bitten by a mystery beast.

Jalil Najafov, 40, was diving in Isla Guadalupe, Mexico, when he made the rare discovery.

NINTCHDBPICT000702594871.jpg

The shark can be seen swimming in the ocean with jagged puncture marks stretching the width of two of its fins.

It is not clear how or when the fish was bitten - but the result is a huge, bloodless, circular scar.

Jalil, who is originally from Azerbaijan, said: “I was really surprised as I have never seen anything like this in my life.

“This bite mark was so huge on a big shark, and I was like, is that real?

“I have worked with sharks for many years and have never seen such a big scar before!"

NINTCHDBPICT000702595231.jpg

Jalil said he reached out to two shark experts as a result - and they both ruled out the same thing.

“What caused the bite mark was a big discussion on social media with many commenters fighting between two opinions, mating scar or act of aggression," Jalil said.

“After I sent this image to Dr Tristan Guttridge, he ruled out mating.

“I also sent it to Michael Domeier who also felt it was an attack from another shark.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17175719/incredible-photo-shark-bite-mystery-beast/

maximus otter

Struth!

A swimmer dies this afternoon in Sydney's first shark fatality since 1963. A witness reports it was a 4.5 metre great white.

Human remains found following Sydney shark attack​

A swimmer has died after suffering “catastrophic injuries” in a shark attack at a popular Sydney beach this afternoon.
A swimmer has died after suffering “catastrophic injuries” in a shark attack at a popular Sydney beach.
Their remains were found following a shark attack at Malabar in Sydney’s east on Wednesday afternoon.
Emergency services were called to Buchan Point around 4.30pm following reports from the public a shark had attacked a swimmer in the water.
“Unfortunately this person had suffered catastrophic injuries and there wasn’t a lot paramedics could do when we arrived,” a NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said.
https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...k/news-story/cc4ad25e52c5eecaf8fe5f8c235bd596

Last edited:
A Texas snorkeler fended off a lemon shark that had chomped down on her ankle by punching it on its 'nose' for about 30 seconds.
Woman escapes shark by punching it on nose off Florida coast

A woman punched a 6ft shark in the face until it let go of her foot, which it bit while she snorkeled off the Dry Tortugas, islands off the coast of Florida.

Heather West, 42 and from Texas, told the Daily Mail the lemon shark “kept tugging and tugging, and I could feel its teeth in my ankle”. ...

Lemon sharks can grow to 11ft and inhabit coastal waters, close to swimmers, surfers and divers. But they present little threat to humans.

According to the International Shark Attack File, at the University of Florida, before West’s encounter there had been only 10 unprovoked attacks by lemon sharks, all in Florida and the Caribbean, none fatal. ...

She told the Mail she was heading back to shore when the lemon shark bit her.

“I was wearing flippers and my kick wasn’t doing much damage,” she said, “so I decided to lean forward and start punching it.

“I punched it in the face over and over again as hard as I possibly could, and after about 30 seconds it finally let go. ...

West said: ‘When I got to the shore I just started screaming ‘I won, I won’, because I realised I still had my foot.

‘In the water I was convinced he’d bitten it off, so seeing it still there, even though it was completely mangled, was a huge relief.” ...
FULL STORY: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/18/woman-escapes-shark-by-punching-florida

A teen lost her leg (or at least a substantial portion of a leg) in a shark attack in northwestern Florida.
Teenage girl loses leg after shark attack in waters off Florida Panhandle

A teenage girl has lost her leg, but is alive, after she was attacked by a shark along the coast in northwestern Florida on Thursday, authorities said.

Officials said the girl was in about 5 feet of water near a beach in Taylor County, which is where the Florida Panhandle begins to expand westward, when she was bitten by the shark. ...

The attack occurred near Grassy Island just off Keaton Beach.

"A family member reportedly jumped in the water and beat the shark until the juvenile was free," the Taylor County Sheriff's Office said ...

It wasn't immediately known exactly what type of shark attacked the girl, but authorities said it was about 9 feet long.

The teen was seriously injured and was flown to a hospital in Tallahassee about 80 miles away. Officials said she'd lost part of her leg.

Shark attacks are somewhat common near the beaches in Florida. Last year, about 60% of all unprovoked shark attacks in the United States -- and almost 40% of all attacks worldwide -- occurred in Florida. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2022/07/01/florida-girl-shark-attack/6321656678617/

It would seem sharks are frequenting Long Island as a snack bar ...
Lifeguard on NY’s Fire Island latest to be bitten by a shark

A lifeguard in the Fire Island community of Ocean Beach is the latest person to be bitten in recent days by a shark in New York’s Long Island waters.

Ocean Beach Mayor James Mallott tells Newsday the lifeguard was performing training about 150 to 200 yards offshore on Thursday morning and he felt something bite him near his left foot. The lifeguard then swam to shore, where he was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital, treated and released. ...

Thursday’s bite comes days after another lifeguard, who had been playing the role of a victim during a training exercise, was bitten in the chest and hand by a shark off Smith Point Beach, also located on Fire Island. On June 30, a man swimming off Jones Beach on Long Island was bitten on the foot, possibly by a shark. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/new-york...-environment-d08b746f5e913df7c220cf372883b06e

Back