• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Long Island sees fifth shark attack in two weeks after tourist bitten

A tourist was bitten by a shark in shallow waters on Long Island Wednesday evening, just hours after a surfer was chomped on nearby — marking five feared shark attacks in New York in just two weeks.

The latest victim, only identified as a 49-year-old man from Arizona, was standing in waist-deep water on Fire Island’s Seaview Beach when he was attacked just after 6 p.m., Suffolk County police said.

The “shark came up from behind and bit him on the left wrist and buttocks,” police said in a statement.

Still, the victim was able to walk out of the water before he was flown to Stony Brook University Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, the force said.

The attack came less than 12 hours after 41-year-old attorney Shawn Donnelly was bitten on the calf while surfing off nearby Smith Point County Park in Shirley around 7:30 a.m.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/14/third-shark-attack-in-long-island-in-10-days/

maximus otter

This guy needs to buy a lottery ticket!

US man survives being ‘chewed up and spat out’ in horrific shark attack​

A Californian man has survived being “chewed up and spit out” in a horrific great white shark attack that had him one millimetre from death.
A Californian man has survived being “chewed up and spat out” in a horrific great white shark attack that saw him one millimetre from death.
Steve Bruemmerat, 62, was swimming at Lovers Point Beach in Pacific Grove when he was bitten in the abdomen by a white pointer, narrowly missing a main artery.

“It grabbed me and pulled me up and then dove me down in the water and then, of course, it spit me out,” Steve Bruemmer told the local KSBW news station.

“I was about 150 yards from the beach when wham!” the retired college professor explained from his hospital bed.

“I don’t even know what happened, but it was just. well. turns out I was bit ferociously by a shark right across my thighs and my abdomen.”

Mr Bruemmer said the sea was calm on the day. There was no wind and the ocean was flat,

“There were no waves, it was so calm,” he said.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...k/news-story/6ebc34a12ae2c6e9de3fec0626e119f2

Dad Gets Pinky Bitten Off By Shark, Takes it Like a Champ

A Florida man had to be airlifted to a Miami-Dade hospital after losing a finger to a 6-foot lemon shark. Brett Reeder was on a family fishing expedition near Content Keys with a crew including his wife, kids, and his cousin Courtney when they gill-hooked the shark.

It was a good day of fishing and Reeder wanted to get the hook back quickly. With his young son seated on the gunwale, watching and dangling his toes in the water, Reeder grabbed the shark. The shark bit down on his hand, twisted, and swam off with his little finger.

NOTE: Video shows - duh! - man having finger bitten off; also NSFW language:

Reeder’s reaction contains some strong language, sure, but not nearly as much as you’d expect from someone who has just lost a finger. Mostly, he just seems annoyed. Courtney, a nurse, put a tourniquet on Reeder’s arm and he was able to drive the boat back to the marina himself.

Paramedics and a helicopter were waiting, and he was airlifted to a Miami-area hospital. In a video shot after he was treated, Reeder shows his bandaged left hand. The family is admirably casual, even cheerful about the incident.

Mandy says, “It was a provoked bite” to which Reeder adds, “It was my fault. I put myself in that position.” You get the impression they’ll be out shark fishing again next weekend.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/fishing/shark-bites-mans-pinky-off/

maximus otter

Reports of possibly the first reported shark attack in British waters since 1874.

A snorkeler has sustained a leg injury after apparently being "bitten by a shark" while snorkeling off the coast of Cornwall in southwestern England.

The unnamed woman was rescued by the Her Majesty's Coastguard after the incident, believed to be the first shark attack of this kind in British waters since 1874, which took place near Penzance on Thursday.

HM Coastguard has since confirmed that a rescue team was dispatched to offer assistance after the suspected shark attack.

"HM Coastguard sent Penzance Coastguard Rescue Team to meet a snorkeler who suffered a suspected shark bite," a statement from a spokesperson from the Maritime Coastguard Agency said.

"The coastguard was notified just before 12:30 p.m. on Thursday (July 28). It is believed the swimmer suffered a leg injury.

"The coastguard team met the casualty at Penzance harbour to assist with passing them into the care of the ambulance service."
Reports suggest that the woman may have been on a blue shark spotting snorkeling trip when the incident took place. However, no further details have been provided about the snorkeler's current condition, or the type of shark that may have been involved.

Article Concludes:
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/02/...suspected-shark-attack-in-cornwall/index.html

The snorkeller has spoken up in defence of the sharks. Good for her. I wish her a speedy recovery and hope it does not put her off going back in the water.

According to the tour organizer's statement, the person involved told Blue Shark Snorkel Trips that "despite how the trip ended, it was amazing to see such majestic creatures in the wild and I don't for a second want this freak event to tarnish the reputation of an already persecuted species."

A boy lost one leg below the knee as a result of a shark attack in the Florida Keys this past weekend.
10-year-old boy's leg partially amputated in Florida shark attack

A 10-year-old boy was attacked by a shark in the Florida Keys and had one of his legs partially amputated, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Jameson Reeder Jr. was on vacation when he was attacked by the shark while snorkeling at Looe Key around 4:30 pm EDT Saturday. ...

"As he screamed and cried for help while miraculously staying afloat on a noodle my brother Jameson gathered his family on the boat and rushed over to rescue his son they saw Jameson jr holding on for dear life and jumped in to get him on the boat," the boy's uncle Joshua Reeder said ...

He said the family believes the boy was attacked by an 8-foot bull shark, which delivered "a crushing blow to the leg."

The boy was taken to shore by boat and then airlifted to a Miami-Dade hospital, where doctors amputated his leg just below the knee.

"They (doctors) had to remove/amputate from just below the knee to save his life as it was not operable from the damage the shark had caused. They said the shark made the decision for him and there wasn't anything they could do to save it. But his life was spared," Joshua Reeder wrote on Facebook. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/202...k-attack-florida-leg-amputated/9701660682912/

Another suspected Great White attack off the coast of NSW leaves a teenager with a tale to tell for the rest of his life. One theory (not mentioned here) on why the number of attacks and sighting has increased off the East coast of Australia this year is due to the massive rains we've had which in turn have caused extreme flooding, which in turn has washed livestock and other animals out to sea, providing a bountiful supply of food. Now that the rains have eased, they're still in search of an easy meal.

One guy I know who is a fanatical surfer and lives in Sydney was telling me a couple of months back how he was surfing at the mid North Coast at the height of the floods amongst the bodies of drowned cattle that had been washed out to sea. I asked him if he was afraid of being attacked by sharks and he replied by saying ''Why would they eat me when there's so much food out there already?''

I left the conversation thinking he was an even bigger idiot than I thought of him previously.

Central Coast beaches closed after surfer bitten by shark at Avoca​

Avoca and North Avoca beaches on the state’s Central Coast were closed following a shark attack on a surfer who was bitten on the hand on Wednesday morning.

The 14-year-old surfer was bitten about 7am and was treated by paramedics and taken to Gosford Hospital, where he received stitches in one hand.

He has since been released from hospital, the NSW Department of Primary Industries said in a statement.

The shark was likely a white shark, according to biologists from the DPI, who assessed photos of the boy’s injuries, including bite indentations.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...bitten-by-shark-at-avoca-20220831-p5beaz.html

Another suspected Great White attack off the coast of NSW leaves a teenager with a tale to tell for the rest of his life. One theory (not mentioned here) on why the number of attacks and sighting has increased off the East coast of Australia this year is due to the massive rains we've had which in turn have caused extreme flooding, which in turn has washed livestock and other animals out to sea, providing a bountiful supply of food. Now that the rains have eased, they're still in search of an easy meal.

One guy I know who is a fanatical surfer and lives in Sydney was telling me a couple of months back how he was surfing at the mid North Coast at the height of the floods amongst the bodies of drowned cattle that had been washed out to sea. I asked him if he was afraid of being attacked by sharks and he replied by saying ''Why would they eat me when there's so much food out there already?''

I left the conversation thinking he was an even bigger idiot than I thought of him previously.

Central Coast beaches closed after surfer bitten by shark at Avoca​

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...bitten-by-shark-at-avoca-20220831-p5beaz.html

Anyone who swims in the sea off Australia is asking for trouble.

Yeah Nah...Just choose the moment wisely.

Don't ocean swim at Dawn or Sunset, and as Lord Lucan pointed out, definitely not, after a flood situation where thousands of carcasses have been washed out to sea. otherwise she'll be right mate.

All along the central coast of NSW there are rivers, creeks, lagoons and lakes that are at present full after massive amounts of rain over Winter. Also adding to the situation, the migration from lake to sea of many varieties of fish for spawning is happening, with the annual migration of billions of Mullet in massive schools, which are followed by Pacific salmon and other Pelagics.

That young Fella's quite fortunate I reckon...

A French visitor was attacked by a shark off Maui last Saturday.
A 51-year-old French woman is in critical condition following a shark bite incident in Hawaii

A 51-year-old woman from France is in critical condition after being bitten by a shark Saturday on the island of Maui ...

The woman was reportedly seen swimming or snorkeling approximately 40 feet from the shore before the incident at Paia Bay ...

She was taken to Maui Memorial Medical Center for treatment ... Police are still investigating the incident.

Maui County closed three North Shore beach parks following the shark incident Saturday afternoon ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/04/us/shark-bite-woman-hawaii/index.html

A Pennsylvania woman from a Caribbean cruise died after a shark attack during a Bahamas snorkeling side-trip ...
A cruise ship passenger died after being attacked by a shark while snorkeling with her family in the Bahamas

A cruise ship passenger from Pennsylvania died Tuesday after being attacked by a shark while snorkeling with her family in the Bahamas, authorities said.

The passenger, a mother in her 50s who was onboard the Royal Caribbean ship, Harmony of the Seas, was attacked in Green Cay, off the coast of Nassau ...

While the cruise ship was docked in Nassau, the family booked an excursion with a local tour company that took them to a popular snorkeling area ...

Family members then saw a shark attacking the woman and rushed to her aid. The mother had suffered bites to her "upper extremities" ...

Operators from the tour company and family members were able the pull the woman onto the boat and rushed to the nearest dock, where paramedics responded and reported no vital signs of life ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/07/us/bahamas-cruise-fatal-shark-attack/index.html

Was this attack on porpoise?

Several popular beaches in Sydney have been closed after sharks attacked a dolphin in waters near the city.

At least two bull sharks were spotted in the Shelly Beach area, in northern Sydney, after the attack and authorities closed all nearby beaches as a precaution.

The injured dolphin circled the shallow waters but eventually beached and died.

Manly Open Surf, a carnival taking place at the beach over the weekend, has been suspended.

Lifeguards cleared people from the water after the attack, which happened at around 07:00 local time on Saturday (20:00 GMT on Friday).
Hundreds of people had been about to compete in the festival.

Tracey Hare-Boyd, a spokeswoman from Surf Life Saving New South Wales (SLSNSW), said that, luckily, no person had been injured or involved in the attack.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-64358575

Was this attack on porpoise?

Several popular beaches in Sydney have been closed after sharks attacked a dolphin in waters near the city.

At least two bull sharks were spotted in the Shelly Beach area, in northern Sydney, after the attack and authorities closed all nearby beaches as a precaution.

The injured dolphin circled the shallow waters but eventually beached and died.

Manly Open Surf, a carnival taking place at the beach over the weekend, has been suspended.

Lifeguards cleared people from the water after the attack, which happened at around 07:00 local time on Saturday (20:00 GMT on Friday).
Hundreds of people had been about to compete in the festival.

Tracey Hare-Boyd, a spokeswoman from Surf Life Saving New South Wales (SLSNSW), said that, luckily, no person had been injured or involved in the attack.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-64358575

Sydney Harbour & the Hawkesbury River are full of Bull sharks, particularly juveniles, although there was footage just a few days ago of a fisherman tagging and releasing a big bull in the harbour.

Edit: Here's the story - it was a 3 metre shark. In the footage, you can see the Harbour Bridge in the background, to give you an idea of proximity.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...r/news-story/a148d49f5c7bbfe4872eaf6cd6566e0c

When I was young, my folks owned a marina at Woolwich, the peninsula that divides the harbour into the Lane Cove River (North) and what becomes the Parramatta River (South side). The marina was on the south side and was directly across from Cockatoo Island. It still exists and you can see it on Google Maps.
It was not uncommon to see sharks of 3 metres, sometimes bigger back then. We always thought they were Grey Nurses which tend to hide in the depths and are harmless to humans but there used to be signs right up to the Lane Cove River Park, not to swim in the water or let your dogs enter due to sharks and I'd assume this due to Bulls as they don't mind a bit of fresh water now and again.

Last edited:
Sydney Harbour & the Hawkesbury River are full of Bull sharks, particularly juveniles, although there was footage just a few days ago of a fisherman tagging and releasing a big bull in the harbour.

Edit: Here's the story - it was a 3 metre shark. In the footage, you can see the Harbour Bridge in the background, to give you an idea of proximity.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...r/news-story/a148d49f5c7bbfe4872eaf6cd6566e0c

When I was young, my folks owned a marina at Woolwich, the peninsula that divides the harbour into the Lane Cove River (North) and what becomes the Parramatta River (South side). The marina was on the south side and was directly across from Cockatoo Island. It still exists and you can see it on Google Maps.
It was not uncommon to see sharks of 3 metres, sometimes bigger back then. We always thought they were Grey Nurses which tend to hide in the depths and are harmless to humans but there used to be signs right up to the Lane Cove River Park, not to swim in the water or let your dogs enter due to sharks and I'd assume this due to Bulls as they don't mind a bit of fresh water now and again.
Struth!

As young teenagers, 4 of us would hire tanks and wet suits from the Clovelly Dive Shop and go in off the west point at Rose Bay, looking for old anchors - there was local legends that the early settlers would scuttle the old sailing ships off the point there, so we went looking.

Visibility was rubbish - maybe a meter (this was about 1968), and there was nothing to see due to what we know now as being due to the toxicity of antifouling paint - it was worth the experience though.

We were a bit blase about sharks back then due to seeing them off Bondi Point, where it dropped off to deeper water. There were always reef sharks doing figure of eights in the deeper water.

Now the sharks are heading upriver...

A 16-year-old girl has died after being attacked by a shark while swimming in a river in Western Australia.

She was pronounced dead after being pulled from the Swan River, in the Perth suburb of Fremantle, on Saturday.

It is believed the girl, from Perth, was riding jet skis with friends on the river when the incident happened.

Inspector Paul Robinson, from Western Australia Police, said it was possible the girl had jumped in the water to swim with dolphins seen nearby.

He described the incident as "very, very traumatic" and the family of the girl was "absolutely devastated by the news".

Fisheries experts say it is unusual to find sharks in that part of the river, Mr Robinson said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-64523498

Missing man found in shark's stomach after family identifies his tattoo

Argentinian authorities say it is likely that Diego Barria had an accident in his vehicle before being dragged to his death.

Diego Barria, a 32-year-old father of three, was last seen riding his all-terrain vehicle near the coast of Argentina's southern Chubut province on 18 February.

Early on Sunday morning, two fishermen reported to the local coastguard that they had caught three school sharks close to where Mr Barria's vehicle had been found.

Daniela Millatruz, the law enforcement officer who was in charge of the search for him, told local media that the fishermen had said "when they were cleaning (the sharks) they found human remains in one of them".

Mr Barria's family recognised him "due to a tattoo that appeared in one of those remains", she added, although they will also undergo DNA testing to confirm his identity.

It is not clear what happened but investigations continue - Mr Barria's damaged vehicle was found on a beach near Rocas Coloradas two days after he disappeared.

https://news.sky.com/story/missing-...h-after-family-identifies-his-tattoo-12821808

maximus otter

Although one of the new Jackass members does
get bitten on the hand
close to the end of this footage, they admit they deserved it. They make a living out of doing stupid stuff like this as we all know ..

Now the sharks are heading upriver...

You're not wrong about that!

Aussie couple's 'crazy' find in river 30km inland: 'Swimming towards me'​

‘Crazy’ footage has captured the incredible moment an Aussie couple came face-to-face with a shark while going for a swim at a popular spot.

Madi Jade and her partner Bryce Moll were cooling down at Ross and Locke on the Mulgrave River — about 30km inland, south of Cairns — on Saturday when they spotted something moving in the water.

“I was in about up to my knee when I saw [a shark] was swimming towards me. It didn’t get close [because] I got out straight away!” the 24-year-old told Yahoo News Australia on Sunday. “We were very surprised when we saw it! The shark just kept swimming laps.”
https://au.news.yahoo.com/aussie-co...0km-inland-swimming-towards-me-033418671.html

Great white shark population is booming, researchers say

On a research ship in the Atlantic Ocean, twelve miles off the coast of North Carolina, a group of scientists have been studying and tracking great white sharks.

"We're seeing an ocean that's teeming with life like we haven't seen since the '40s or '50s," Chris Fischer, founder of the research organization Ocearch, [said].

Ocearch has been studying and tagging great white sharks for the last decade. In that time, Fischer has observed an increase in the number of white sharks.

Ocearch tagg[ed] its first great white in 2012, a 15-foot shark which Fischer at the time called maybe "the most important fish we've ever caught in our lives."

Ocearch has now studied more than 90 great white sharks...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/great-white-shark-population-booming-ocearch-tracking-researchers/

maximus otter

Great white shark population is booming, researchers say

On a research ship in the Atlantic Ocean, twelve miles off the coast of North Carolina, a group of scientists have been studying and tracking great white sharks.

"We're seeing an ocean that's teeming with life like we haven't seen since the '40s or '50s," Chris Fischer, founder of the research organization Ocearch, [said].

Ocearch has been studying and tagging great white sharks for the last decade. In that time, Fischer has observed an increase in the number of white sharks.

Ocearch tagg[ed] its first great white in 2012, a 15-foot shark which Fischer at the time called maybe "the most important fish we've ever caught in our lives."

Ocearch has now studied more than 90 great white sharks...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/great-white-shark-population-booming-ocearch-tracking-researchers/

maximus otter

Time for a cull? Are you a nifty shot with a speargun as well?

An interactive map showing fat and non fatal shark attacks on Australia's coastline over the past 50 years has been released. Who wants to go for a swim?

Daunting truth about Australia’s coastline​

A daunting new interactive map has exposed some uncomfortable truths, but it has come with a warning to not be discouraged.
The launch of a new interactive map has highlighted a grim reality facing Australians, with data collected in the last 50 years revealing details of the scary dangers lurking underwater.
US-based company Florida Panhandle profiled and categorised every global shark attack – fatal and non-fatal – in the past 47 years, and has compiled the data into one chilling interactive world map.

The company determined which shark was responsible for the most fatal attacks, what time of day was most risky, and where exactly every attack had taken place.

On the map, a lengthy strip running up Australia’s eastern coastline was dotted with fins indicating both fatal and non-fatal attacks, with a hotspot of fatal attacks apparent around the NSW and Queensland border.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...e/news-story/323ee27ba9e3a45a31d19d1044df569f

An interactive map showing fat and non fatal shark attacks on Australia's coastline over the past 50 years has been released. Who wants to go for a swim?

Daunting truth about Australia’s coastline​

A daunting new interactive map has exposed some uncomfortable truths, but it has come with a warning to not be discouraged.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...e/news-story/323ee27ba9e3a45a31d19d1044df569f
It doesn't surprise me L.L. - does it you?

The Mid East coast of Australia is such a well populated area, being a prime destination for tens of thousands of families to bring up the tin lids - plus the appeal of Low pressure storm surf that gets the highly mobile surfer fraternity always focusing on those point and beach breaks.

All those black clad glistening bodies moving speedily through the water must evoke a desire on any White Pointer to have a nibble...it is their habitat that we're adventuring into, isn't it.

Anyway, if your coming here, don't swim after storms (murky water), or at sunrise or sunset and always at a patrolled beach if you have children. I'll git orf me soapbox now.

It doesn't surprise me L.L. - does it you?

The Mid East coast of Australia is such a well populated area, being a prime destination for tens of thousands of families to bring up the tin lids - plus the appeal of Low pressure storm surf that gets the highly mobile surfer fraternity always focusing on those point and beach breaks.

All those black clad glistening bodies moving speedily through the water must evoke a desire on any White Pointer to have a nibble...it is their habitat that we're adventuring into, isn't it.

Anyway, if your coming here, don't swim after storms (murky water), or at sunrise or sunset and always at a patrolled beach if you have children. I'll git orf me soapbox now.

I remember back in the 70's & 80's there'd the an occasional attack, usually fatal, but there sure seems to be more and more all the time and certainly beach closures due to sightings.
As a child we would spend most weekends at Collaroy or Dee Why beaches on Sydney's Northern suburbs and once in a while we'd have to leave the water due to a shark sighting, but usually after the chopper or lifeguards chased them away, we'd be back in again with no fear whatsoever.
The great white fatality off one of Sydney's beaches last year of the British swimmer was particularly brutal (though aren't they all?)

An interactive map showing fat and non fatal shark attacks on Australia's coastline over the past 50 years has been released.

IMG_1291.jpeg

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Back