• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great white sharks lurked near swimmers, surfers 97% of the time in drone study.

Shark researchers have released “shocking” results from a 2-year drone study — showing that apex predators came very close to people, but simply moved around them or ignored them completely.

The study along southern California beaches looked at how close juvenile white sharks get to humans, such as waders, swimmers, surfers, and stand-up paddle boarders.

The researchers from Cal State Long Beach Shark Lab revealed that at juvenile white shark aggregation sites, people were near sharks on 97% of the days surveyed. And during the two-year drone study, there were no reported shark bites in any of the surveyed locations.

“Frankly, we were shocked,” Christopher Lowe, professor of marine biology [said]. “Sharks would interact with people every single day, multiple times a day, and they would just swim by.

“It was shocking that these occurrences were happening so often,” Lowe added. “And the fact that no one was being bitten smacks in the face of the misconception that if there’s a white shark nearby, you’ll be attacked. This shows that’s not the case.”

More than 1,500 drone surveys were conducted from 2019 through 2021 across 26 different southern California beaches to measure human-juvenile white shark habitat overlap.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...-what-does-this-mean-for-cape-cod/ar-AA1cbHvA

maximus otter

I remember back in the 70's & 80's there'd the an occasional attack, usually fatal, but there sure seems to be more and more all the time and certainly beach closures due to sightings.
As a child we would spend most weekends at Collaroy or Dee Why beaches on Sydney's Northern suburbs and once in a while we'd have to leave the water due to a shark sighting, but usually after the chopper or lifeguards chased them away, we'd be back in again with no fear whatsoever.
The great white fatality off one of Sydney's beaches last year of the British swimmer was particularly brutal (though aren't they all?)
We didn't worry about White pointers back in the 60's - the more feared variety was the Grey Nurse.

The general scuttlebut back then was that white pointers were a cool watered shark that preferred seal rather than humans - a thought that comes to mind is the lack, back then, of wet suit use for surfers, whereas nowadays their use is much more prevalent.

I agree that shark attacks seemed more reduced back then L.L. - I dunno, I think maybe that we were more savvy of conditions associated with shark attacks...? But then we had people like Ben Crop and Bob Dyer (never mind the Yanks who came across the specific to do some big game fishing) who regularly fished for the big sharks didn't we. It seemed a regular occurence down at Watsons Bay where carcasses were routinely hung up, measured, and catalogued.

I used to watch when the shark bell on Bondi went off with the shouted repititition of 'SHARK, SHARK', and watch the mass evacuation from the surf...It's surprising what interests a teenage mind I reckon. Or maybe it was just me.

They're awful bloody things too, shark attacks, and I've often thought that the initial impact, and the bodily shock associated with the blood loss must go a long way to kill the poor beggar that's on the wrong side of a shark attack.

Anyway L.L., stay safe mate and ooroo.

Some grim footage has been released of a Russian tourist in Turkey being attacked and killed by a shark. Apparently it happened yesterday and the shark has been caught. I won’t put it on here as some people might find it disturbing.

Yes, I just looked again. It was the Red Sea resort of Hurghada. It was a tiger shark.

And subsequent to the fatal attack, the shark in question was caught and beaten to death on shore by local fishermen.

Some grim footage has been released of a Russian tourist in Turkey being attacked and killed by a shark. Apparently it happened yesterday and the shark has been caught. I won’t put it on here as some people might find it disturbing.
Yes saw that and wished I didn't...poor lad :(

(Pathetic) shark attack, Florida

A beachgoer in Florida was recently bitten by a nurse shark — and he appeared to be completely unbothered by that fact, according to a video that has gone viral.

The strange incident took place in Jensen Beach, and the shark in question would not let go of its grip on the man’s arm, not even when he stepped out of the water.

In footage of the unnerving incident, the unidentified man is shown cradling the small shark while crowds form around him in disbelief. He is seen standing patiently as he waits for assistance and ignoring recommendations from onlookers, which ranged from flipping the shark upside-down to disorient it to flicking or punching it in the nose.

When asked if the bite hurts, he says it doesn't, although he notes that every time he tries to remove the shark, it bites down harder.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/florida-man-bit-nurse-shark-no-big-deal

maximus otter

Is that why it's called a nurse shark? Because you have to nurse it like a baby?

The shark attack that didn't happen...

WWE legend The Undertaker protects wife from shark by simply standing and glaring at it​

The Deadman made no hesitation in stepping in to protect his fellow WWE star wife Michelle McCool as she was stalked by a huge shark during their romantic beach getaway.

WWE Hall of Famer The Undertaker has proved he's still as fearsome as ever as he stepped in to protect his wife from a huge shark.

The 58-year-old wrestling legend, whose real name is Mark Calaway, has been making the most of his retirement since leaving the ring in 2020 by spending quality time with his wife, Michelle McCool – herself an ex-WWE star.

The couple, who celebrated their 13th anniversary last week, are currently enjoying a romantic beach getaway — but things turned scary when Michelle decided to take a dip in the crystal blue water by herself.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/us-news/wwe-legend-undertaker-protects-wife-30429282

Fisherman Shocked After Reeling in Swordfish Covered in Strange Round Holes

While fishing in Australia's Coral Sea, Captain T.K. Walker and his crew came across an unusual sight — after hauling a large swordfish out of the water, they noticed its body was covered in dozens of oval holes, as if it had been attacked by a cookie cutter.

swordfish-after-attack-cookie-cutter-shark.webp

The attacker in question was almost certainly a cookiecutter shark, or rather a whole team of them. "Must've been a pack attack, they made more than a snack out of him that's for sure," Walker said.

Cookiecutter sharks are a small, cigar-shaped species that rarely exceed 1.5 feet in length, according to the Shark Research Institute. The species can be found in the tropical waters of the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans.

https://www.newsweek.com/fisherman-...swordfish-covered-strange-round-holes-1814523

maximus otter

Charted: Humans vs. sharks

U.S. population living in coastal counties
Annually; 1970-2018
Every ten years; 1970-2020 Probability of fish being caught sustainably

2023-07-20-shark-column-tablet.jpg

Shark attacks in U.S. waters
Annually; 1970-2022

Data: ISAF, Nature and U.S. Census; Graphic: Tory Lysik and Maura Losch/Axios

Shark attacks appear to be on a steady rise in recent years, according to data from the International Shark Attack File.

What's happening: People are interacting with sharks more frequently than ever before. More people are living near oceans, and improvements to transportation systems have made it easier to access coastlines.

https://www.axios.com/2023/07/29/shark-week-attacks-overfishing-beaches

maximus otter

Man attacked by 4m shark though to be a great white off a beach near Port Macquarie, New South Wales yesterday, now is fighting for his life:

‘Extremely serious, life-changing’: Family of surfer attacked by 4m shark reveal devastating injuries​

The family of a surfer attacked by a 4m shark have revealed the horrific injuries he suffered as he recovers in hospital.
The family of a surfer who suffered “life changing” injuries during a horror shark attack have provided an update on his condition.
Toby Begg, 44, was surfing at Lighthouse Beach, south of Port Macquarie, when he was bitten by a shark on Friday morning.
NSW Police said Mr Begg tried to fight off the shark – believed to be a Great White – some 4m long.
His condition has improved from life-threatening to a serious but stable condition, a Hunter New England local health district spokesperson confirmed just after 11am on Saturday.
His brother-in-law, Chris Lenihan said his injuries are “extremely serious and life-changing” but doctors are still working to understand the full extent of the damage.
https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...s/news-story/8cd407de786545e9e4a767624b18d862

Three men left trapped after swarm of sharks sink yacht with repeated bites to hull

THREE tourists were left stranded 500 miles from shore after their yacht was savaged by sharks.

The sailors, two Russian and one French, were sailing towards Cairns, Australia, when a swarm of beasts repeatedly bit their inflatable catamaran.

photo-handout-australian-maritime-safety-842809593.jpg

They raised the alarm in the early hours of the morning as their vessel started to sink and a ship was sent to rescue them.

…a "large section" of the vessel's hull was missing when crews found them.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/23822561/men-rescued-sharks-sink-yacht/

maximus otter

I not sure if this has been posted before but fuck I would not go into the water if Sharks are about.

Back