• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Anyone who goes swimming in open water is engaging in a risky activity. That risk will be raised if there are predators around. If you accept that risk and swim you should accept any consequences. No matter how rare, or tragic they might be. It's a greater chance that you will have a pleasant swim and nothing more.
No one is saying that those who are attacked "deserve it". So can you stop with the ad hom's please.

Its not just ad homs, earlier on in this thread its been suggested that they deserve Darwin Awards.

How is a shark any different from a mackerel (apart from being more vicious)? Why is it ok to kill a mackerel but not a shark?

Mackerel are more tasty?

Mackerel are more tasty?

Indeed! But theres really no difference.

Some rather odd people think that sharks are cute though.

Go to an Ozzie beach and tell them that sharks have right to be inshore and that swimmers just have to take the risk! Just make sure that your health insurance is up to date.

Careful now.
Father-Ted-Careful-Now.jpg

Well you can put your mammaling rod away because I'm not getting drawn into giving you the attention you are mammaling for...

Please, please, close this this thread - it's not worth the Aggro.

Ramon, get your irrational phobia into proportion: fewer than 6 people, world wide are killed by sharks in a year. Hippos kill over 2,500 people a year, elephants kill more than 500, horses and cattle each kill more than 20 people a year in the US alone, Salties and Nile Crocs alone kill hundreds every year. I have seen an unconfirmed figure that there are more than 21 deaths per year in Australia from just surfers being caught in rip currents.

In contrast in the last 100 years in Australia as a whole there have been 811 shark attacks, of which 279 were provoked by the humans. From all cases there were 174 fatalities or 1.74 per year. The source for the shark figures is the Australian Shark Attack File of Taronga University.

I believe the most dangerous species is the White Tip although the Bull Shark and the Hammerhead run it close. White Tip, Hammerhead and Great White are considered vulnerable species internationally. Sharks are tasty, especially Porbeagle, but Porbeagle too are vulnerable and can no longer be caught in the UK.

Your proposal regarding culling is actually as ridiculous as saying that all rotten rock should be cut from great climbing routes and steps cut into the most difficult sections because a few people don't understand the dangers.

Ramon, get your irrational phobia into proportion: fewer than 6 people, world wide are killed by sharks in a year. Hippos kill over 2,500 people a year, elephants kill more than 500, horses and cattle each kill more than 20 people a year in the US alone, Salties and Nile Crocs alone kill hundreds every year. I have seen an unconfirmed figure that there are more than 21 deaths per year in Australia from just surfers being caught in rip currents.

In contrast in the last 100 years in Australia as a whole there have been 811 shark attacks, of which 279 were provoked by the humans. From all cases there were 174 fatalities or 1.74 per year. The source for the shark figures is the Australian Shark Attack File of Taronga University.

I believe the most dangerous species is the White Tip although the Bull Shark and the Hammerhead run it close. White Tip, Hammerhead and Great White are considered vulnerable species internationally. Sharks are tasty, especially Porbeagle, but Porbeagle too are vulnerable and can no longer be caught in the UK.

Your proposal regarding culling is actually as ridiculous as saying that all rotten rock should be cut from great climbing routes and steps cut into the most difficult sections because a few people don't understand the dangers.

A shark is a fish.

What is the difference between killing a mackerel and killing a shark?

Get over your irrational phobia towards swimmers and surfers. You appear to value sharks over human beings.

Rocks do not set out to deliberately attack and kill people;

Sharks do.

Mackerel are r-selective and sharks are k-selective. Sharks take about 20 years to reach maturity and may gestate the pups for nearly 2 years, the females may then not breed again for a couple of years.

Why does a human leisure activity trump sharks feeding? The activity can take place elsewhere and it's intruding on their habitat.

Hey! I'm not an asshole (I do own one though) and I wasn't being sarcastic.

Mackerel are r-selective and sharks are k-selective. Sharks take about 20 years to reach maturity and may gestate the pups for nearly 2 years, the females may then not breed again for a couple of years.

Why does a human leisure activity trump sharks feeding? The activity can take place elsewhere and it's intruding on their habitat.

Why should a shark be treated differently from any other maneater?

Sharks attack swimmers off beaches anywhere.

Being a mod doesn't mean that I lose the right to express my opinions.

Agreed, but it does mean not skirting dangerously close to the edge of the acceptable use policy at every opportunity just because you can.

Agreed, but it does mean not skirting dangerously close to the edge of the acceptable use policy at every opportunity just because you can.

How so?

I have expressed an opinion.

Its unacceptable because you disagree with it?

No, what's unacceptable is insulting someone else for expressing their opinion.

For example...

Difference being those people have to live on land where those predators are present.
There is no requirement to swim in the ocean for human survival in Australia.
Humans wanting to partake in a leisure pursuit should not be a reason for killing marine mammals.

So, anyone who swims off a beach in Australia deserves to die.
You are a nasty piece of work.

Or insulting someone because they don't have all the knowledge you have or make a genuine mistake.....

Its about as much sense as you usually make.

You thought a shark was a mammal.

Unfortunately there's very little point reporting your posts....because you're one of the gatekeepers.

McAvennie already said that such swimmers deserve Darwin awards. So my comment was not an insult.

How is it insulting to point out that someone doesn't know what they are talking about?

If someone thinks a shark is a mammal then it suggests that they are sadly lacking in basic knowledge.

Also, Mcavennies post consisted of blah, blah, blah. Hardly made much sense to me.

If anyone has concerns about mod conduct then please PM me. As for this thread, I advise everyone to de-escalate with immediate effect.

What won't make a difference? And I'd lose the last half of that post if I were you.

Uh You and pietro were the ones that approved that behavior enough to promote him. So why would he have to change it now is what I was getting at...

Uh

a) I haven't posted like that in years
b) Pietro has gone
c) The mods are answerable to me
d) I have now dealt with it
e) any more abuse from you, at anyone, will result in a warning.

Well, as I said, I've now dealt with it, and again, any issues with mod conduct talk to me about it. I will always listen. It does take a long time to adapt from posting to modding (years in my case), so we'll see.

Back