• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shark Mass Extinction

I haven't yet seen any mention of possible events or trends at circa 19 million years BP (early Miocene). There don't seem to be any known shifts or cataclysms around that time.

The apparent extinction attribution was based on analyses of residual remains of fishes (the shark's food supply) and the sharks of that period. The evidence for the fishes remains pretty constant throughout the samples. It's only the sharks' evidence that suddenly becomes comparatively rare.

It makes me wonder whether the cause had more to do with competition than any environmental problem(s).

Exactly my thinking, climate change would have affected more than just sharks... Climate change as a proposed reason is lazy thinking.

Some miscellaneous notes about possible causes ...

There was a cluster of comparatively frequent geomagnetic field reversals from circa 22 Ma to circa 17 Ma, and one such shift occurred right at circa 19 Ma.

The early Miocene was the timeframe for a sustained global warming trend (starting at around 21 Ma) that reversed the longstanding trend for cooling worldwide termperatures. This warming trend was well underway as of 19 Ma, and it would continue until circa 14 Ma.

The early Miocene was the timeframe in which ocean kelp became prominent and radically proliferated. Kelp forests may have made it easier for prey fishes to evade sharks.

There may have been a major impact event during this timespan. The Karakul / Kara-Kul impact in modern Tajikistan has been variably dated to a wide range between circa 23 - 25 Ma maximum and circa 5 Ma minimum. This is the only impact structure so much as suggested to have occurred around 19 Ma.

Both sharks and cetaceans grew in size and diversity in the early Miocene. In particular, a number of predatory cetaceans emerged and proliferated during this timeframe. Some were big enough to compete with, and conceivably prey upon, sharks.

I suppose if there were so many they could use up much of the food supply
then the big sharks would eat the little sharks so leading to a collapse of the population.
That may be what happened.

Great whites returning in Cape Cod. I've been to a lot of east coast beaches and I've never seen shark warnings except in Massachusetts.

In Cape Cod’s ‘Sharky’ Waters, Humans Learn to Coexist with an Apex Predator
New technology and changing habits may keep beachgoers safe as the local great white population grows.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/cape-cod-great-white-sharks

Back