Shop Around: Tales Of Retail

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
You can add to those "The Range", which has the feel of a slightly eccentric cousin to TKMaxx.
That would be so far off the curve of normality that flamingos must randomly give people money on entering the store, most items on display will be possessed by the ghost of Arthur Askey, and the staff could be played by different types of potted plants

Even the name TK Maxx looks like a neural network's attempt at creating a shop name.
Exactly. And I presume that if we've got TK Maxx, and the Americans have TJ Maxx, that somebody-else has TL Maxx (or even TI Max )

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
B&M is probably the closest thing we have to Woolworths.
There is a store on Cheetham Hill* - all my posts end up there, like much surplus merchandise - where old Woolworth's stuff is still on display after all these years. The prices are pretty much where they were when that old high-street familiar folded.

The boxes have that familiar economy-white style with a red corner stripe.

A more dark and dismal place it would be hard to imagine. I see that Woolworth's closed in 2009, so all that crap must be nearing a decade old! :eek:

edit 03.07.2017. It's called Pound-Stretcher, I recalled today. Not a Pound Store, as such but even the Pound Shops are branching into (slightly) dearer goods. Maybe this is retaliation for the supermarkets which have created their own Poundy-Aisles.

Last edited:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
We've got a solar powered Queen Elizabeth in our upstairs bathroom that waves and makes an annoying clicking sound, one of the Mrs's friends bought it for her, it's really off putting when you're just trying to have a peaceful crap.
She is just tutting at your toilet habits.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I must have Googled TK Maxx the other day - to check the spelling - because today I found my perusal of the Manchester Endtime News site was obstructed by unshiftable ads for that shop!

Almost a mercy, given the dross on that alleged news-site. :p

If I Googled "Shitty-Shitty-Shit-Shop," I would soon be confronted with promotions for a hipster start-up which had identified a demand for one! :oops:

Last edited:

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
I've heard a rumour that there will be a branch of The Range opening near me soon. I'll check it out when it does.
For the record, I call it b-u-m Homestores, just though I'd clear that up. We have a Home Bargains too - it used to stock an excellent Georgian red wine that I've never seen anywhere else for about a fiver. I later found out after a bit of research that the earliest evidence for wine making came from pots unearthed in that country.

So not only good value but educational too.
Georgian wine is fabulous stuff - I was reassured to discover that the relatively recent unpleasantness between Russia and Georgia had not stopped Georgian wine from being sold in St Petersburg. I am not sure that this has swayed my recent employment-related decisions, but at any rate it serves as no impediment.

For a long time there was a Morrisons supermarket at Bolton Junction in Bradford, although I am not sure the prefix super- has ever had to do quite so much work elsewhere. It then became one of these mysterious retail establishments a la TK Maxx/Home Bargains, this one trading as QLM. My father's cherished belief is that this stood for Quite Like Morrisons.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Wasn't there an outdoors-type shop somewhere famous for its slogan, "Now is the discount of our winter tent"?
This has been quoted / cited for many years - often without any specific attribution of which store or even which city / town.

The earliest mention I can readily locate is from The Age (Melbourne, Australia), February 20, 1990:

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/124797632/

smokehead

Abominable Snowman
We've got a solar powered Queen Elizabeth in our upstairs bathroom that waves and makes an annoying clicking sound, one of the Mrs's friends bought it for her, it's really off putting when you're just trying to have a peaceful crap.
I'm pretty sure the actual Queen does that.
There's a museum of loser products somewhere, somebody obviously decided to open up something similar, but put prices on.
'Soooooo, you think you're open minded eh? Cop a load of this'
My fisherman's forum overwhelmingly went for Bounty chocolate bars in a poll, well we get bored, with the dark variety the clear winner.
Meanwhile advertising really works abroad, when you are doing a shop at a supermarket. Best stick with what you know.
Food racism.

I would've expected it to be from Barry Cryer, circa 40BC 1960. Or perhaps Tony Hancock.
:) 40BC indeed!

Know what you're getting at Ermintruder - you have a good ear! Cryer or Eddie Braben maybe? Galton and Simpson weren't that hot on Shakespearean puns, e.g. "Bed, bed, where is thy spring?", from HHH "The Sleepless Night". *groan"

Last edited:

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient

Ermintruder

Are you sure that's a shop, and not a hoarders place?
Good point. For it to be a shop, it's got to have...
  • A till
  • A Will
  • A minor thrill
  • And an attractive window-sill
Clues that it may actually be a house:
  • Unpriced merchandise*
  • Hordes of mice
  • Sightings of lice
  • And a shopkeeper's manner that's not very nice
(* apart from one budget price painted on the wooden sign in the garden)

Oh, and cats are A Sign. Cats will often buy houses. But never shops. The cat-staff there are rubbish, compared to the cat-staff at houses.

Ermintruder

It's the first shop you see as you leave the train station. Gives visitors a fine impression of the town.
Years since I've been to Anglesey/Holyhead.

We only got as far west as Llandudno last year (the lions were eating the clowns, and the elephants were train-sick)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
What you probably suspected has been happening is confirmed to have been happening:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40703866

Shrinkflation! There's no way that I'm buying a Toblerone that looks like it has been stripped down after being left in a dodgy neighbourhood.
Been happening for years. Mars Bars are definitely smaller than they used to be.
But that Toblerone just looks bizarre.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
There's no way that I'm buying a Toblerone that looks like it has been stripped down after being left in a dodgy neighbourhood*.
What you need is a Poundland Twin Peaks bar - when they finally get around the legal questions.

"Instead of featuring the iconic Matterhorn on its red and gold packaging, the Poundland version features the Wrekin, a hill in Shropshire near the company’s head office.

"The bar is also made in Birmingham rather than Switzerland." :yay:

*I thought it looked like one of those "stingers" the police employ to halt stolen vehicles. :dsist:

Last edited: