Shop Around: Tales Of Retail

smokehead

Abominable Snowman
Oooooooon the other hand, those five year old Korean workers have made an impact.
Reminiscing about old gear has a comment that a fondly remembered fishing rod cost someone £130 back in the good old days.
A new online store has a fishing rod, perfectly useable for ......£6.
Cue moans about cheaply made Chinese tat, even though stuff is made in Korea.
I say celebrate the discounters and their reasonable profit margins.
Yon prestige store imports tat as well, but they just mark it up by 250,000 percent so you can feel all posh.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Unless I'm misreading you, your reference points are out of date.

When I was a kid, 'Made in Korea' would feature on cheap plastic toys and imitation 'knock-offs' designs, but that hasn't been true for twenty or thirty years--labour costs are far too high as a result of the Miracle on the Han River. Much of the factory and farm workers in Korea are migrant labour from China and South-East Asia, but firms still can't compete with the corruption, artifically depressed currency and the lack of health & safety / OSHA regulation in China itself.

Korean manufacturing today is focused on consumer electronics and computers, cars, industrial machinery, ship-building and extremely large-scale engineering projects--the export of tat no longer.

Vietnam also does a good line in flimsy products now.

Last edited:

smokehead

Abominable Snowman
I bow to your greater knowledge sir. One of my fishing reels, a rather nice one actually, was designed in Germany and manufactured in Korea, precision built using CNC machining, whatever that is.
There is some tat about, which I take it is of Chinese manufacture, but one online store, now part of Sports Direct, originated the pile it high and sell 'em cheap philosophy, anglers were amazed at the quality of product for the price of a round of drinks.
The original owner left the company and has set up a mostly used tackle website, although he's kept his hand in with the £6 rod obviously.

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
I hate it when that happens ..
As an underwater lumberjack who's also a part-time fire-fighter, I find Lidl's corporate arrogance disrespects my cultural values, and confounds my daily access to toast & cornflakes.

But as we say in our small closely-knit community "better to be under-water, fighting fires, than up a tree without a paddle". Sorry, I meant chainsaw.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
My nearest Lidl has been shut for several weeks for a rebuild. It will reopen next month - twice the size.

I need herrings in cream now, though! :willy:

Gloucestrian

Devoted Cultist
My nearest Lidl has been shut for several weeks for a rebuild. It will reopen next month - twice the size.
This happened to our local Lidl. Be forewarned than when it opens it may be quite different to how it was previously. Our old Lidl was one of the oldest ones and despite its size carried a decent set of lines and was a useful place to shop. I noticed when the new one opened half of what we used to buy was no longer stocked despite the new store being somewhat more than twice the size. The fruit and vegetables are a particular disappointment in the new store. I've adjusted to it now and found acceptable substitutes for some of the no-longer stocked items but it took a while to get used to the new range and the changed focus.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
There are some good ones in Edinburgh.

Sadly closed now is Barberfella. A sewing shop in Easter Road called The Golden Stitch. A combined tea and antique shop called Anteaques. A Chinese takeaway called Chop Chop. I am sure there are loads more I can't bring to mind right now.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
There are some good ones in Edinburgh.

Sadly closed now is Barberfella. A sewing shop in Easter Road called The Golden Stitch. A combined tea and antique shop called Anteaques. A Chinese takeaway called Chop Chop. I am sure there are loads more I can't bring to mind right now.
There's a Chinese Take-Away in Dundee called the Tak Awa - it helps if you know the local accent.

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
It's very funny, but it is (of course) just a false photo-composite. Sorry.

Everything's wrong about the sign (I do especially like the dodgy perspective, followed immediately by the layering).

It's the truly-realistic false photos you've really got to be aware of. I know that statement offends all sorts of people, and their sensibilities, but I do hate missing any opportunity to fruitlessly state this.

See this Reddit thread where people who drive past the actual store bemoan the fact that in unaugmented reality, it has a boring name.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
It's very funny, but it is (of course) just a false photo-composite. Sorry.

Everything's wrong about the sign (I do especially like the dodgy perspective, followed immediately by the layering).

It's the truly-realistic false photos you've really got to be aware of. I know that statement offends all sorts of people, and their sensibilities, but I do hate missing any opportunity to fruitlessly state this.

See this Reddit thread where people who drive past the actual store bemoan the fact that in unaugmented reality, it has a boring name.
I though there was something about it that didn't quite look right (the OH has had me drinking decaff all week - that's my excuse!).

Mind you, it's probably only a matter of time before someone does use it for real :)

Poundland are stuck with a load of tat they'd got for the Don's visit which has been cancelled. They're now banking on the halloween market to offload it. If you fancy a Don mask to scare the trick or treaters or a figureen to stick pins in, now's your chance.

Is this stuff really in poundland?

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Poundland are stuck with a load of tat they'd got for the Don's visit which has been cancelled. They're now banking on the halloween market to offload it. If you fancy a Don mask to scare the trick or treaters or a figureen to stick pins in, now's your chance.

Make your own Voodoo Doll of The Trump!

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
Is this stuff really in poundland?
Has anyone actually seen this stuff for sale? Physically, in reality?

No pricing or EAN barcodes.

No merchandise signage.

Random Alpen bar box (?) over on right of shelf.

Image not findable during a perfunctory reverse search.

Hmm....