Shop Around: Tales Of Retail

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Has anyone actually seen this stuff for sale? Physically, in reality?

No pricing or EAN barcodes.

No merchandise signage.

Random Alpen bar box (?) over on right of shelf.

Image not findable during a perfunctory reverse search.

Hmm....
Purely for research purposes I popped into my local Poundland & sure enough there was a small section of this shite. The only thing they didn't have was the Don mask.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Purely for research purposes I popped into my local Poundland & sure enough there was a small section of this shite
Wow. Amazing.
The only thing they didn't have was the Don mask.
There may only ever have been one...and that was sold quite a long time ago...:fnord:

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
Purely for research purposes I popped into my local Poundland & sure enough there was a small section of this shite. The only thing they didn't have was the Don mask.
I heard on the radio earlier in the week that the UK economy is showing signs of recovery and appears to be gradually strengthening.

Later the same day, I went into Pound land and they are having a sale .

We, to be fair, they did say it would be a gradual improvement...

Iris

Justified & Ancient
At our smallish shopping centre there are 5 dress shops. Recently they were all bought by the same group and because I was getting emails from 2 of them where I often shop I now get emails from all of them.
Trouble is they all have wonderful sales but it's all for online shopping and I prefer to look at or try on things before I buy.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
At our smallish shopping centre there are 5 dress shops. Recently they were all bought by the same group and because I was getting emails from 2 of them where I often shop I now get emails from all of them.
Trouble is they all have wonderful sales but it's all for online shopping and I prefer to look at or try on things before I buy.
Yup, you can send off for a lovely garment that arrives looking like a well-used mailbag. Been had that way myself.

All while the high street retail sector is dying on its feet.
I guess online retail is assuredly the future.
Shops need to figure out how to court the people who would shop in person while selling also to the internet age.

We recently had to buy washing machine, as the old one went 'phut'. Monday we looked at a web -based white goods merchant. We debated going to an actual shop later in the week. Then we thought, pick some models, check reviews on and off the site and have it shipped. We were immediately offered the day of our choice for delivery. We chose Saturday. We were emailed and texted to tell us we'd receive a text 7am Sat. to tell us the 4 hour delivery window. If we followed the link in it we could identify our driver (nice touch). I received one phone call to verify all was fine. I was asked once if I wanted a care package. I said no. I was cordially thanked for my business and time.

The text arrived at 7:03 saying our slot was 10am-2pm. I got a call from the driver at 9:45 to say he was 15 minutes away. I got another one at 10:10 asking where our house actually was. This is normal. 10:13 they pulled up outside the gate.

The machine was swiftly carried into 'the room of our choice' and the old one removed (for £20, £10 less than the council would have charged us). Coal installs, 11pm, test wash under way. 11:25am , first load in the machine. 11:30am a one question email survey arrived. In answer to the 'would you use us again' question I'd have clicked a 'Hell, Yes' button if they had one.

Last edited:

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
And shoplifters Swifty

I like Silentnight, I had the more or less same experience as Coal did. and the same with Tesco when I ordered a freezer.

I am with Iris tho, in regards clothes and shoes, I like to see and try them on as clothes made by different stores can vary in sizes. I have bought a few online and had a couple of shite things.

Can you tell us who you used Coal, might be good to know in the future, always nice to know someone is reliable and safe?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
And shoplifters Swifty
I already spotted one on the day of my interview there (or it was a honest mistake) ... I was standing outside, an old bloke wearing sunglasses went to walk out and the alarm went off. He was carrying a coat that still had the security tag on so I smiled and told him, he shuffled back in, put it back and then left the store without buying anything or saying anything lol ..

Shady

Probably figured he couldn't outrun you lol

Shady

I actually quite like B&M, I'm glad everyone got out, wonder if they will move from there and build elsewhere?

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Coles supermarket needs to up its game! When I did the shopping on Sunday, there were only two staff on the express lanes, one in the self scan section and not a single person at the proper checkouts. I ended up putting everything back on the shelves and went to Woolworths, where they actually employ people to be on checkouts!

Shady

Def real, I buy my Drench from there, it be loads cheaper

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Coles supermarket needs to up its game! When I did the shopping on Sunday, there were only two staff on the express lanes, one in the self scan section and not a single person at the proper checkouts. I ended up putting everything back on the shelves and went to Woolworths, where they actually employ people to be on checkouts!
I thought all the Woolworths closed down?

Shady

I thought so to, did DinoBot have a 'interdimensional gas station' moment

Peripart

Antediluvian
Never even heard of B&M until today. Are you sure it's real?
You're kidding - they're all over the place (assuming you're in the UK, that is...)

Mind you, they're a sort of cuckoo shop, taking over the premises of other brands. For example, some of the ones around here that I can think of:

Lichfield (was Woolworths)
Tamworth (same, I think)
Brownhills (ex Homebase)
Aldridge (ex Focus/Do-It-All)

Difficult to define exactly what they are, but they're OK, if you're not overly-discerning (which suits me!). I go there for cheap Lucozade multipacks, various crisps and chocolates, household cleaning stuff, storage boxes. They do a bit of everything, a bit like a slightly bigger version of Home Bargains, which the same mixture of well-known brands at sensible prices and borderline tat. Home Bargains itself I see as a slightly upmarket version of Poundland...

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
You're kidding - they're all over the place (assuming you're in the UK, that is...)

Mind you, they're a sort of cuckoo shop, taking over the premises of other brands. For example, some of the ones around here that I can think of:

Lichfield (was Woolworths)
Tamworth (same, I think)
Brownhills (ex Homebase)
Aldridge (ex Focus/Do-It-All)

Difficult to define exactly what they are, but they're OK, if you're not overly-discerning (which suits me!). I go there for cheap Lucozade multipacks, various crisps and chocolates, household cleaning stuff, storage boxes. They do a bit of everything, a bit like a slightly bigger version of Home Bargains, which the same mixture of well-known brands at sensible prices and borderline tat. Home Bargains itself I see as a slightly upmarket version of Poundland...
Google informs me that the nearest B&M to me is at least an hours drive in any direction (except South as that would need a boat to get to).