Shop Around: Tales Of Retail

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
I was in Dunelm looking for a plain tablecloth for my computer desk, I only needed something 3ft x 4ft but the cloths were huge, suitable for Banqueting tables. I found nice smaller ones but they were plastic, whilst the cloth ones had horrible patterns. When I thought I'd found a nice small tablecloth, the size suddenly changed from cms to inches (or vice versa). I was getting in a tizz, my brother couldn't help as he'd left his glasses in the car, but fortunately a white-haired biddy standing nearby took pity on me. " 60 inches is 5 feet", she said, "I'm 5 feet if that helps?" . I stared at her and then at the shelves of cloth and then at her again and then into middle space. "Hmm - yes, I'm just trying to imagine you spread over my table."

Tap on the forearm - "Don't go there."
Who hasn't said this to a random stranger in the shops?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I was in Dunelm looking for a plain tablecloth for my computer desk, I only needed something 3ft x 4ft but the cloths were huge, suitable for Banqueting tables. I found nice smaller ones but they were plastic, whilst the cloth ones had horrible patterns. When I thought I'd found a nice small tablecloth, the size suddenly changed from cms to inches (or vice versa). I was getting in a tizz, my brother couldn't help as he'd left his glasses in the car, but fortunately a white-haired biddy standing nearby took pity on me. " 60 inches is 5 feet", she said, "I'm 5 feet if that helps?" . I stared at her and then at the shelves of cloth and then at her again and then into middle space. "Hmm - yes, I'm just trying to imagine you spread over my table."

Tap on the forearm - "Don't go there."
Did she give you her number?

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
There was a Woolworths reminiscence thread somewhere on the forum, but I can't find it (perhaps it's been suddenly closed, and the stock sold).

Anyway: cutting to the chase. TK Maxx (this will only resonate with Brits & Aussies, so others will need to have subtitles).

Am I the only person to find it a decidedly-strange store? I cannot shake the impression that the stock is actually artificial, and intended for use on-stage as theatrical props.

Everything looks quite-realistic, until you handle it. Then, it's always too light/heavy/shiny to be a real thing.

I don't mean this in any tin-foil-hat or "that Ermintruder has definitely lost it (but they always were crazy, anyway)" sort of a way.

But it really does give me an odd...impression.

Am I unique in suspecting it may be an artificial company? And are there any other....unconvincing shops, that you've noticed?
I find that almost all the clothes and shoes in TK Maxx are made by labels who give every impression of being popular, fashionable and chic, but that I've never heard of. And no-one I ask seems to have ever heard of them either.

Last edited:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Yes it's full of racks & racks of shite. You have to do an awful lot of sifting to find something worth buying. I went to one today funnily enough. Didn't buy anything. You can get lucky though - I've found some good stuff at good price.

Also it's full of massive XXXXXL stuff. If you're clinically obese it's the place to go.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Re sizes in TK Maxx, I'm a skinny 6 foot, not what I would consider small, but I now find small stuff is more my fit. I'm pretty sure I used to be a medium some while ago. I haven't lost weight, sizes have got bigger.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I’ve picked up some excellent stuff at TK Maxx at car boot prices. The boots l normally wear while deerstalking are Danner Gore-Tex Jackals, bought at about ⅓ retail.

l’ve also scored several items in merino wool, including long johns and a favourite sweater.

Just think of the chain as being like a charity shop: 99.9% tat; the occasional prize.

maximus otter