• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sigbins

minordrag

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Does anybody have any information on sigbins? Supposedly it is an animal the sucks the blood of small creatures (puppies and the like), and also likes eating...squash flowers!?

They are Phillipino in origin, and are also apparently "owned" by someone possessing evil powers.

Just read about 'em on another site. Can anyone elucidate?

there isnt much information about these creatures on the net but i did come across a couple of descriptions of the animal. Ill paste them below

Sigbin: Usually in the form of a goat. It is often accompanied by a "Amo", or leader, which directs the sigbin to eat other animals. It sometimes bites people, but is generally harmless to humans.

"Sigbin" or "Giant Rat Monster that Jumps like a Kangaroo"

also there is a story that involves one in the below link

http://www.geocities.com/icasocot/shortstories8.html

sorry i couldnt help you out more

Tang you are one of the most helpful poeple on this board!
We luff you!

Aliant said:
Tang you are one of the most helpful poeple on this board!
We luff you!

and you are the most unhelpful and annoying

Hold on, tiger!

I didn't take aliant's quote to be sarcastic.

Anyway, I thank you, too. That was helpful. This thing sounds like some kind of tamed chupacabra.

Love to see more descriptions/pics.

I found his comment sarcastic and irrelivant

i tried looking for more info on the subject for u MD but there isnt much on this guy, i think you should maybe have to go get a book to learn more about it. He does sound like a chupa tho.

i would like to back you up minor drag and congratulate tang-malow on being a fountain of knowledge of the crypto world. i have a passing interest in cryptozooligy, where-as tang is has huge knowlege on the subject. i rename you tang to King Crypto as you are probably the most knowlegable on this board when it comes to crypto related subjects. its just a shame when people are sarcastic, thats the vibe i also get from some peoples posts, because you reply at the speed of light answering peoples questions LOL

well done that man!

MD,

Where did you encounter the reference to the beast inthe first place?

8-)

Not unlike the small Malaysian demons made in bottles by wizards? They made little holes in things to drink tiny amounts of blood. Possibly inspired by blood-sucking insects? Or them killer moth things that no-one really believes in?

Mind you, they're a swine to get rid of. You have to have the house sprayed and everything.

The "source"

Harlequin,

I got the story from http://www.castleofspirits.com, in their "new ghost stories" section. I shall reprint it here. For good order's sake I want to emphasize that I am not in any way claiming authorship of this story; I only copied/pasted it for the edification of my fellow Forteans. (whew. It's tough not being a lawyer!)

"Sigbins"

I have a great aunt who frequently visited us before her retirement from teaching. In one of her teaching assignments she told us that the place where the school is located has a resident who owns several sigbin, a filipino term for an animal who sucks the blood of puppies or other small animals (usually the person who owns a sigbin is believed to be possessing evil powers). She said she and her co-teacher once saw these sigbins. It was during the early hours of the morning, the sigbins were believed to be going back home to their master from their nightly hunting for small animals' blood.

I don't really know if it was true or not, didn't fully believe in it although I know my great aunt does not lie. Years later I became a teacher myself and was assigned to teach at the very same place my great aunt used to teach in. I discovered that it's a tiny, quiet village nested in the hills that are covered with palms. I wasn't surprised to hear stories of sigbins. However I was somewhat scared to think that they could indeed be roaming around the big, old house where I was staying with some students - as some stories suggested.

One afternoon I noticed a first year student in the front yard of the house uprooting a crawling plant which was just starting to bear flowers. I asked her why and her answer was, "This is a squash. Sigbins like to eat squash flowers, I don't want them near the house."

Hmnn, an interesting superstition, I thought. Later while chatting with a co-teacher, our talk shifted to paranormal things. The sigbins were soon included. She said that her cousin, tired and annoyed at the fact that their puppies were disappearing, at one time tied live wires around the legs of their bamboo house to ward off the sigbins.

I'm not really sure whether sigbins exist or not, but if you go to the Philippines I'm sure many of my countrymen especially in that village could tell you something about them.

Aliant said:
I hate you tang.
I was trying to be nice.

thats nice.
I also dont like racists so i guess that means i dont care for u much either.
Calling people flatfaced bitches isnt exactly the kind of behavious we want on this MB

Time out!

You gotta be kidding me.

Flaming on The Minor Drag's thread?! I don't think so. Please take it somewhere else, both of you. Consider me, in this instance, the moderator. I can and will yank the thread if I have to.

Originally posted by tang-malow

and you are the most unhelpful and annoying

WTF?! Tang, you are a true original. I'm LMAO because I just can't believe your forthright manner. No one could ever accuse you of backstabbing, that's certain.

See, now I don't need to drink, because your posts are more lively! My liver thanks you.

Re: Source

MD,
Thanks... an interesting piece.

Sounds related to the host of 'domestic' demon in Far Eastern folk law. Not exactly profound on my part I know :)

8¬)

Back