• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Silver object over Bath April 12th 2012

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
I've posted this on the sonic boom thread as well, but I think it deserves a mention hereabouts.

From here
Two fighter jets screamed across the skies above Bath last night in an incident that was still raising questions this morning.

The Ministry of Defence and police said the supersonic aircraft were responding to what appeared to be an emergency call from a helicopter.

Residents from Peasedown to Weston saw and heard one of the Typhoon Eurofighters flying low over the city yesterday evening.

?It was tracking a helicopter flying over the Bath area, but the other one of the pair appeared to be concentrating on a silver object much higher in the sky.

The Ministry of Defence said last night that the Typhoon had created a sonic boom as it responded to the helicopter which was transmitting an emergency message...

...The MoD said: "We can confirm that a small civilian aircraft was transmitting inadvertently on an emergency frequency at approximately 6.10pm. Two Typhoons from the Quick Reaction Alert responded accordingly and authorisation was given from them to go supersonic which resulted in the sonic boom. There was no actual threat to the civilian aircraft and they soon rectified their mistake."

A statement from Avon and Somerset Police said: “We received reports of a loud bang in various locations in the force area at about 6.15pm.

“It is believed that this was from a sonic boom from jet aircraft passing over the area. The jets were responding to reports of a civilian helicopter that had a faulty transponder; the helicopter completed its journey and landed safe and well outside the force area with no issues.”

Neither statement made any reference to the presence of the other object - said to be silver and rocket-shaped, with speculation that it might have been a weather balloon.

Sean Whyte from Bath said one jet had flown as low as 2,000ft over Weston and Odd Down in pursuit of the helicopter.

“The jet was weaving around the helicopter as if to warn it off. The noise was incredible.”

But he added: “At the same time high above, another Typhoon, the shape is very distinctive, was seemingly buzzing a white object at about 35,000 ft. This white rocket-shaped object was in the NE and stationary. Clouds eventually obscured both but we had been watching for maybe five minutes. We were not seeing things!”

A witness on this website said: “My mother and sister also witnessed the silver floating object. They described it as shaped like a rocket, and that it moved horizontally, then stopped, then moved vertically up until they lost sight of it.”

The jet had circled low over the south of the city.

One eyewitness said: "It appeared quite close to the helicopter and it was very loud.

"It was around for a good five minutes or so and it was pretty low."

Another eyewitness said: "It circled for quite a while. It was low over Southdown."

Oldfield Rugby Club posted a picture of the drama on Twitter, saying: "Camera scrambled as Fighter jet pulls away from helicopter over Shoscombe, not best picture but WOW it was amazing see!"

@rustywhite1984 said: "The fighter jet zooming around above bath at the mo is loud, are we under attack?"

@lgladdy said on Twitter: "Amazing fighter jet display going on over bath right now."

A sonic boom is the sound associated with the shockwaves created when an object travels through the air and breaks the sound barrier.

The noise contains large amounts of sound energy, meaning sonic booms are often mistaken for explosions.

It is the second time this year that a sonic boom has been created by a Typhoon aircraft.

In January, the MoD confirmed that a loud noise heard by people across the North of England was caused by an RAF fighter jet breaking the sound barrier
As I said in the other thread, I heard the boom faintly - I was outside and assumed it was thunder. However my son was on higher ground and heard it much more clearly, and he and friends saw one of the Typhoons loop round a little later (we're only about 10 miles from Bath.)

Why did they scramble two Typhoons to deal with an apparently distressed chopper? Seems rather overkill-ish, unless the Olympic security protocol is to shoot down potential-air threats - but the second Typhoon was quite clearly interested in the silver object. I've said I think it could have been a solar balloon, and there were lots of interesting atmospherics yesterday which may explain its odd trajectory. But the Typhoons involvement are what make this interesting :).

Can someone explain what a Typhoon jet can do if a helicopter is actually really in distress? I mean, yes they'll be there quickly...and then what? Park, get out, push the helicopter to the side of the airspace [ :madeyes: ], pop the bonnet and fix the problem?
Or more realistically, shoot past the helicopter without being able to land anywhere nearby?
Seriously, can someone explain please?

More likely in our current paranoid 'Olympic Year' environment, ascertain if the helicopter is a threat or not, then decide whether to shoot at it or not.

Heckler20 said:
More likely in our current paranoid 'Olympic Year' environment, ascertain if the helicopter is a threat or not, then decide whether to shoot at it or not.

Yeah...

"Helicopter, are you having trouble?"
"Yes"
"These missiles should help you land"

With between 13,000lbf and 20,000lbf thrust from it's 2 engines, just the wake from a near fly-by would be enough to knock a helicopter out of the sky.

I've said I think it could have been a solar balloon, and there were lots of interesting atmospherics yesterday which may explain its odd trajectory.

Added to which genuine UFOs are not known for hanging around waiting to get their numbers taken when jet fighters turn up, they are usually off over the horizon at 4000 mph.

With between 13,000lbf and 20,000lbf thrust from it's 2 engines, just the wake from a near fly-by would be enough to knock a helicopter out of the sky.

Check out the Thisisbath link, that's very nearly what happened.

I'm near Bath and I watched this event unfold through binoculars (my interest being piqued by the sound of the two Typhoons). I didn't see any UFOs but the RAF jets did spend a lot of time manoeuvring around high up - much higher than the helicopter was flying. I'd estimate between 5000 and 10000 feet. I put this down to the fact that at that altitude they'd be above the civil traffic coming in or or from Bristol airport, a few miles to the west.

Back