• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Six Degrees Of Separation'

Well, I didn't exactly meet her to talk to, but model Lily Cole cycled past me while I was stuck in traffic in Cambridge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_Cole

It was definitely her, but she had no makeup on and was dressed in t-shirt and jeans. She's one of the models who appears in Rimmel's 'get the London look' ad campaign, apparently.

Mythopoeika said:
Well, I didn't exactly meet her to talk to, but model Lily Cole cycled past me while I was stuck in traffic in Cambridge:

Aha, so she got her bike back (or more likely bought another) as her aptly named Pashley Princess was nicked a few months ago.

Oh according to this link Pashley gave her a new one. :roll:

beakboo said:
I'm sure you'd have given her one if you could.

Indeed, I'd hate to see a young lady like Ms, Cole sad because she is unable to get a ride and would be honour bound to step in and offer her one.

Looks-wise, Lily Cole is the closest thing to a space alien Planet Earth has ever seen. Weird looking girl.

gncxx said:
Looks-wise, Lily Cole is the closest thing to a space alien Planet Earth has ever seen. Weird looking girl.

I agree! :lol:

Yes, the bike was one of those old-fashioned looking things with a basket on front.

Yet another of these strange persons I have never even heard of, and wouldn't have had any interest in, even if I had heard of her.

I hope I'm not within six degrees of her, but the evidence accumulating on this thread suggests that in all probability I am... :(

rynner2 said:
Yet another of these strange persons I have never even heard of, and wouldn't have had any interest in, even if I had heard of her.

I hope I'm not within six degrees of her, but the evidence accumulating on this thread suggests that in all probability I am... :(

Don't be too upset, she seems nice enough and was good in the Dr Parnassus movie, so maybe she has a prosperous acting career ahead of her. There are worse people to be six degrees away from.

I worked with someone t'other day who used to live next door but one to Tom Jones, up the street from Richard Burton. :D

escargot1 said:
I worked with someone t'other day who used to live next door but one to Tom Jones, up the street from Richard Burton. :D
Good grief! Two people I have heard of! :D

At at least one of whom you may have thrown your knickers. ;)

escargot1 said:
At at least one of whom you may have thrown your knickers. ;)
Yes, I threw my Y-fronts at Richard Burton when he was singing "It's not unusual"...

A well known crooner made a homosexual advance on my uncle Bernard. No names but I can never listen to "Calendar Girl" without smiling.

I was once asked out by a bloke from a '70's Pepsi advert

I worked with the dad of one of the guys from "Lighthouse Family"

The brother of the best man at my wedding was one of the original cast members in The Bill

LOL.

I've had a look on Youtube but can't find it. I think it was a cinema ad. Had a geeky bloke (the one who asked me out) saying to a greaser type in a cod New Jersey accent, "Hey Eddie home come you're such a big hit with the goils?"

Anyone else remember it?

I was working in a pub near Margate in the early '80's and this bloke (who was apparently a stand up comedian and doing a show at the Winter Gardens) started chatting me up. I declined his offer. It was the landlord to told me who he was. For some reason the name Tony Maiden sticks in my head . I'll have to Google him.

Anyone done six degrees to Adolf Hitler yet?

Likewise with John Lennon or Michael Jackson?

Oh George W Bush too!

Not that I ever met any of them...

therealficolley said:
LOL.

I've had a look on Youtube but can't find it. I think it was a cinema ad. Had a geeky bloke (the one who asked me out) saying to a greaser type in a cod New Jersey accent, "Hey Eddie home come you're such a big hit with the goils?"

Anyone else remember it?
God yes! I used to say that (ironically) to my boyfriend, Eddie.

I went to a lecture by Sir Patrick Moore some time ago (met him, shook his hand, bought his book etc) He name checked Einstein when speaking of playing a duet with him. Einstiein worked with Wernher Von Braun who of course would have met Hitler.

Zilch5 said:

I did this in about 15 seconds, and in three or four steps rather than six.

A woman I knew fairly well 35-40 years ago was the great-grandniece of one of Hitler's top Weremacht advisors, Field-Marshall Von Kesselring.

Oh George W Bush too!

I know several Republican activists who are personally acquainted with Bush Sr. and/or Jr.

And I myself met both Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan.

Zilch5 said:

Oh George W Bush too!

Stretching it a bit, but: A woman who I used to moderate a forum with went to a random garage sale in Sydney a few years ago & found a signed photo of Hitler in a box of old postcards & photos. The old lady who's garage sale it was had met Hitler before he came into power in her youth. My friend was so disgusted she left without buying anything.
John Lennons easy as I have a whole bunch of people I know who know or have met Paul McCartney.
Michael Jackson I think I can do in about 4 via my ex who works in the music industry, but only with sketchy details.
George Bush. Yes, my other ex met him breifly when he was in Aus a few years ago.

I can manage the Pope in two steps, Archbishop of Westminister Vincent Nichols, 38 years ago, was a trendy young priest and one of his first jobs was as Chaplain at my school, obviously he's met Pope Benny, and his predecessor.

I was once savaged by the Archbishop of Westminster's cat, Biggles. But that's as close to the pope as I get I'm afraid.

Zilch5 said:

Oh George W Bush too!

W. is easy : my father knew Michel Barnier, who knows Jacques Chirac, who met G. W. Bush on many occasions.
The Führer : same beginning, Chirac knew Charles De Gaulle, who knew Paul Reynaud, who met Adolph Hitler (I don't know if Barnier met De Gaulle, which would shorten the path).
John Lennon or Michael Jackson ? I suppose Barnier is acquainted with politicians, who at one time in their life, met singers and actors, who would themselves have met Lennon, Jackson or one of their friends or business relations.

I think that everybody in the world could be linked in less than 8 or 9 degrees of separation. I suppose that everybody is acquainted with someone who knows a local politician, who is acquainted with another politician who met a national MP or ruler etc...

therealficolley said:
I was once savaged by the Archbishop of Westminster's cat, Biggles. But that's as close to the pope as I get I'm afraid.

Could it have been a priest in a catsuit?

OldTimeRadio said:
Zilch5 said:

I did this in about 15 seconds, and in three or four steps rather than six.

A woman I knew fairly well 35-40 years ago was the great-grandniece of one of Hitler's top Weremacht advisors, Field-Marshall Von Kesselring.

Hey - that's neat - I once met Von Kesselring's niece in the US! :D

It just goes to show that six degrees is just about right. When I grew up, the owner of the local petrol station was an ex-member of Adolf's life guards.

Zilch5 said:
When I grew up, the owner of the local petrol station was an ex-member of Adolf's life guards.
I didn't know Hitler was keen on swimming!

Thought about this for about a minute and came up with at least two, one via Richard Burton via Tito etc and another through LLoyd George (who did not in fact know my father) maybe three but I doubt if Krushchev ever met him, so that way comes out at seven.

rynner2 said:
Zilch5 said:
When I grew up, the owner of the local petrol station was an ex-member of Adolf's life guards.
I didn't know Hitler was keen on swimming!

No - he preferred the mountains! :D

"Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler" would be the correct term.

Zilch5 said:
Anyone done six degrees to Adolf Hitler yet?...

As a young hairdresser my mum used to do the Duchess of Devonshire's barnet. The youngest of the barking Mitford sisiters, she had met Hitler in Munich when she was 17.

As a rugby fan I'm slightly prouder of this connection: As a child in the 1920's my dad kicked a ball around his village square with Prince Alexander Obolensky, after his family had arrived in England having fled the Russian Revolution. Obolensky scored two tries in his debut which culminated in England's first ever victory over the All Blacks.

There's footage of one of the tries here. (Strangely, neither the players, or what you see of the game itself, look as dated as similar footage of football matches from the same period.)

Back