• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Six Degrees Of Separation'

I'm not sure that this counts as belonging to this thread, but here goes:
The Earl of Ducie, back in the later 1800's, had an illegitimate child with his maid. He did acknowledge that the child was his, and paid for the boy to be adopted into a good home and gave him a good education.
My Grandfather was that boy's grandson (or great-grandson, I'm not exactly sure). My British Grandmother who married him is gone, as is my Mum, so can't ask.
No big deal, it's the illegitimate side of their family, just an item of interest.

I'm not sure that this counts as belonging to this thread, but here goes:
The Earl of Ducie, back in the later 1800's, had an illegitimate child with his maid. He did acknowledge that the child was his, and paid for the boy to be adopted into a good home and gave him a good education.
My Grandfather was that boy's grandson (or great-grandson, I'm not exactly sure). My British Grandmother who married him is gone, as is my Mum, so can't ask.
No big deal, it's the illegitimate side of their family, just an item of interest.
Does that make you a baroness?

Interesting thing is though, that my Grandfather became a British spy back in WWII, he was a morse code operator sending / receiving messages all night.
The strain was too much for his bad heart, and he died young of a massive heart attack, and is buried on your Shepherd's Lane in Beaconsfield.
He was also an artist, and did a portrait of Churchill, which is supposedly hanging in one of your museums.

Hmmm...
I shook Buzz Aldrin's hand, and Aldrin was friendly with Wernher von Braun. I don't know if von Braun ever met Hitler, but he at least was photographed with Himmler.
Nazi-Party-1024x576.jpg

Von Braun upper centre in dark suit.

maximus otter

I met Henry Cooper when he was training for his fight with Cassius Clay in 1963. I was 11 or 12 at the time and somewhat overawed. I think I still have his autograph somewhere.

Okay, I'm getting freaked out by the Hitler thing. I know, or have met, several people who have connections to Lennon and McCartney. Can anyone suggest a really great person who the Beatles met that can counteract the late Mr. Hitler?

Last edited:
Okay, I'm getting freaked out by the Hitler thing. I know, or have met, several people who have connections to Lennon and McCartney. Can anyone suggest a really great person who the Beatles met that can counteract the late Mr. Hitler?
Okay. It looks like Lennon and/or McCartney met Reagan, Elvis, Dylan, Dali, and Muhammad Ali. I was hoping for a Martin Luther King or a Kennedy, but I guess they all cancel out Hitler.

Come to think of it, I think my grandmother and aunt shook hands with Bobby Kennedy. There. That does it.

Anyone who knows someone who knew Bertrand Russell is (among many others):
3 handshakes away from Gladstone
4 handshakes away from Napoleon
5 handshakes away from Bonnie Prince Charlie

Okay. It looks like Lennon and/or McCartney met Reagan, Elvis, Dylan, Dali, and Muhammad Ali. I was hoping for a Martin Luther King or a Kennedy, but I guess they all cancel out Hitler.

Come to think of it, I think my grandmother and aunt shook hands with Bobby Kennedy. There. That does it.
McCartney met Princess Diana, who met Mother Teresa... might help cancel out Hitler a little bit.

Tik Tok is full of some of the most baseless, inane and mind numbing content. But in amongst it all, you come across the occasional gem, and this is one account. A Kiwi guy whose 6 degrees of separation videos have gone viral for all the right reasons.
Enjoy (best watched on the app).

https://www.tiktok.com/@bb_malloy

I snogged Annie Lennox after her band The Tourists played at a club in Halifax. I was going to punch Marc Almond's lights out at a party but realised he wasn't worth it and it it would make me an awful bully. I met David Bowie in a bookshop in London, we chatted for 5-10 minutes, what a lovely bloke.

The 'Six Degrees' thing means that everyone in the world is connected to everyone else by six links ('degrees') or less. A link can be family, colleague, acquaintance, marriage- any way of 'knowing' someone.
The links can be tortuous and involved but always lead there in the end.

Thus, my daughter's ex-boyfriend is some kind of great-great nephew of Dr. Gull, physician to Queen Victoria, who as all conspiracists know was involved in hiding the true identity of Jack the Ripper.

On the other hand, my nephew's girlfriend is a journalist and has interviewed Marilyn Manson!

I nursed a chap whose sister in law used to train with Daley
Thompson.

A workmate had been a security guard whose boss told off Princess Margaret's bodyguard for doing noisy wheelspins in the Daimler at night.

So there's 4 famous people I can claim a spurious link to, who've never even heard of me...

Who else has as many famous acquaintances as this?
Somehow my mother's fahter's family is related to Thomas Jefferson but that is more than 6 degrees as there are too many generations. My mother's father's family is related to John Adams, same thing, too far from 6 degrees.

My dad had a drinking buddy he met in Santa Fe and brought home to visit. I think they had some kind of mutual business at first, but he visited us often and we sometimes went to where he was working. He was an artist, we did not know he was a famous scultor on the east coast. He came for christmas one year and he and my mom talked about their california relatives, turns out his mother and my mother's grandmother were 1st cousins. I sat behind a girl in a few classes who loved to name drop and brag about the famous people she knew. It turned out after that christmas she was bragging about meeting a famous artist that was designing a house for her dad's friend from Russia. My dad's friend had taken us to see that house because it was his design. I asked the name of the artist and she names him, and I got everyone laughing because I said, "Oh, he was at our house for christmas. He is a relative." She never bragged like that again.

My grandfather was one of the first rangers to help set up Yosimite, Carlsbad caverns, Chaco canyon and Chiricaugua national parks. I don't think he was famous except for in the park ranger world. When my dad worked for the democratic party he met some famous politicians.

When I was in the army and first got to Coleman barracks in Germany everyone asked where I was from, I told them and they said "Oh, you must know A." I didn't think I did. The town I came from is not some little village, though I did live in a small village when I was in grade school. It turns out I did know A, but I didn't remember because I was 7 and she was 5 and she was visiting her cousins who lived next door to my family. I was playing with them as we were classmates and she was swinging on the swing set. She fell and her cousins tried to help her but she was angry about something and ran in the house. Later when we moved to town I had classes with her older sister but I didn't know who she was related to. It is a small world.

I don't think it is a real thing, this 6 degrees of separation.

Hmmm...
I shook Buzz Aldrin's hand, and Aldrin was friendly with Wernher von Braun. I don't know if von Braun ever met Hitler, but he at least was photographed with Himmler.

@Mythopoeika met Aldrin, too.
I have met a lot of authors and Stanley Love at sci fi conventions. Some of them I have had interesting conversations with, but I would not even count that as an aquaintance, just a fleeting meeting.

Twitter:
davonti d. haynes, phd, msw @DaVonti_
Yo, why I just find out my neighbor was on the run for MURDER. This man decapitated a woman and I been hanging out with them since moving to Philly. This man was at my birthday. And he documented it in a journal. This is crazy.

https://t.co/DQL7G2AV03

It’s so crazy because we literally bounded over both having just finished our PhD in Ag at Big Ten schools and moving to Philly around the same time
This man wrote “Straight killer ... don’t put it past me, but you won’t see it coming.” in his journal
“He also expressed violent/murder ideations to other people who he felt double-crossed him.”
Watching the swat pull up on my security cameras is also crazy

https://t.co/F4ioEtlVKc

Just something interesting, can't recall if I mentioned this before.
My Grandmother's family was from Liverpool. Hers was the Leece side of the Fox-Leece family, back in 1900 it was a wealthy family.
Anyway, the matriarch (or whoever was the head of the family) died in the very early 1900's, and left everything to the Fox-Leece side of the family, leaving the Leece side completely out.
According to my Grandmother, her family took them to court, where their claim was thrown out on a technicality.
But in those days it was thought that someone bribed the judge or something along those lines.
And there is still a 'Leece Street' in Liverpool named for the family supposedly.
But my Grandmother was forever annoyed about her side of the family being left penniless.

Last edited:
Here you go - who could this be? :thought:

It's Roger Moore's stunt double, father of a work colleague.

So you're now all 4 degrees away from James Bond himself.

Attachments

• received_1101768710988961.jpeg
    received_1101768710988961.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 9
Here you go - who could this be? :thought:

It's Roger Moore's stunt double, father of a work colleague.

So you're now all 4 degrees away from James Bond himself.
Roger Moore couldn't run properly, so they had to use a stunt double.
One of my friends at school was on the set when they were filming a Bond film and he saw it for himself. The stunt double may have even been that man, who knows.

One of my friends at school was on the set when they were filming a Bond film and he saw it for himself. The stunt double may have even been that man, who knows.
Yes! I'll ask Colleague when I see him next. :nods:

Chuck Norris has a stunt double.
For when he has to cry.

Rog lived just up the road from me from 1953-1968.
I often wonder if he'd have driven through here on his way to London (no bypass then) or whether he'd have got the train to Crewe maybe.

I've got one I don't think I have shared on this forum. I used to know the son of Albert Speer, knowing Hitler always seemed interested in children I have always assumed the son was at some point introduced to Hitler. Not really the sort of question you ask someone! So probably two degrees from Hitler.

Back