• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Six-Toed Cats

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
After reading this about a six toed cat, it reminded me of what my mother used to say.

She said that you needed to keep a six toed cat for a year and a day and then it would grant you a wish.

A quick google shows nothing like this.
Anyone else heard of it?

my ex-lodger had a 6 toed cat, but never mentioned anything about a wish to me.

do you get a wish for every year and a day you keep it? or just the first one?

Never heard of the legend, but a friend used to have a beautiful black six-toed cat (called Polly, for obvious reasons).

I wonder if you get the wish even if you don;t know about it? Be careful what you wish for...

I have never heard anything about 6 toed cats - but in Japan there is a lot of folklore related to cats.

Here, it`s said that if you do a favor for a cat, in time the cat will pay you back. Recently this has come to be interpreted as normal cat behaviour - leaving mice as gifts, etc... But in the past it had much stronger overtones of magic and the supernatural. As cats were said to be able to transform into humans, kindness to a cat could possibly lead to some significant events in your favor that appear to have nothing to do with the cat itself.

On the other hand, it`s not always true that what a cat would consider "good" repayment would be considered the same to a human... And folklore abounds with examples of the mismatch in these worlds.

I'd love to hear some of those stories. :D
*goes off to count her cat's toes*

Back