Ski Yogurt/Yoghurt/Yoghourt

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
I was involved in a strange discussion about yogurt yesterday and I mentioned that, in the 60s, Ski used to put a chocolate topping on their yogurts which you had to break through to get to the yogurt.
I was looked at rather strangely - was it just me misremembering or can anyone here recall such a dessert?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
I was involved in a strange discussion about yogurt yesterday and I mentioned that, in the 60s, Ski used to put a chocolate topping on their yogurts which you had to break through to get to the yogurt.
I was looked at rather strangely - was it just me misremembering or can anyone here recall such a dessert?
It was later than the 60's I'd say early 80's I remember them but I don't remember the brand. They were very nice and yes you had to break into the chocolate to get to the yogurt.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I'm old enough to remember Ski yogurts becoming popular in the the UK. No chocolate topping. They came in a distinctive churn-shaped tub with a thick foil lid.

Did a quick google and found this fascinating article,The History of Ski by Stephen Logue. He was appointed Senior Product Manager for Ski in 1973 and knows all about it.

Logue mentions chocolate in the context of advertising claims. Ski had to stop using the phrase 'Full of fitness food', alongside Mars whose famous 'Work, rest and play' also had to go.

I can highly recommend the article. Logan had worked for Crown Paint and he had their manufacturing methods applied to Ski products, making possible greater production capacity.
When launching a new product he needed to engage the company's van salesmen so he held explanatory meetings with free food and beer and strippers. Yes, strippers.

Ski were all about appearing healthy so chocolate didn't feature anywhere in the range. Even though each tub contained about three tons of sugar. We'll buy anything if we're sold it right.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
In the early '80s there was a cold chocolate sauce that went hard and brittle when you poured it onto ice cream. Or onto mashed potato, which was used in the advert because ice cream would melt under the studio lights. You might be remembering that.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
In the early '80s there was a cold chocolate sauce that went hard and brittle when you poured it onto ice cream. Or onto mashed potato, which was used in the advert because ice cream would melt under the studio lights. You might be remembering that.
As soon as I started reading the thread, that chocolate stuff you put on ice cream came to mind.

We bought some a couple of years ago and stupidly kept it in the fridge. As you can imagine when we got around to wanting to use it... remember folks, the fridge is cooool.

:doh:

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
I'm old enough to remember Ski yogurts becoming popular in the the UK. No chocolate topping. They came in a distinctive churn-shaped tub with a thick foil lid.

Did a quick google and found this fascinating article,The History of Ski by Stephen Logue. He was appointed Senior Product Manager for Ski in 1973 and knows all about it.

Logue mentions chocolate in the context of advertising claims. Ski had to stop using the phrase 'Full of fitness food', alongside Mars whose famous 'Work, rest and play' also had to go.

I can highly recommend the article. Logan had worked for Crown Paint and he had their manufacturing methods applied to Ski products, making possible greater production capacity.
When launching a new product he needed to engage the company's van salesmen so he held explanatory meetings with free food and beer and strippers. Yes, strippers.

Ski were all about appearing healthy so chocolate didn't feature anywhere in the range. Even though each tub contained about three tons of sugar. We'll buy anything if we're sold it right.
Especially if there are strippers involved...

ravensocks

Junior Acolyte
Oh please .........I was a student in the '60's and ate the beautiful original Ski hazel nut yoghurt and black cherry yoghurt more or less on a daily basis. There's just no equivalent these days.
Hazelnut was the best, I seem to remember being banned from eating it (by parents) due to some health scare - but I'm too lazy to Google the truth of the matter!

Black cherry was ace too...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I don't remember that. It does sound like a good way to keep the yoghurt 'sealed in'.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
You can still get that from ice cream vendors in Cromer .. I had some on a rum 'n raisin a couple of days ago, I thought I was being clever and it would stop the ice cream melting so quickly and running down my fingers but it didn't work.

Schrodinger's Zebra

I like the Activia Rhubarb Yogurt, the probiotic claims are a bit of a con, but I like the flavour and someone usually has it on offer.
I remember dubiously getting a pot of Champagne Rhubarb yoghurt when I was about ten or eleven, and being a bit concerned that it might have alcohol in it... :horr:

.... I'm still not sure, to be honest. It's safer sticking with strawberry.

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Thanks for all the replies chaps/chapessess.
@ EnolaGaia/Escargot - Thanks for that - it seems he started at Ski in '73 so may have missed the chocolate innovation ;)
@Naughty Felid - Phew! at least someone else has come across it.
I'd forgotten all about St Ivel.
I remember my Mum getting it from Tates in Humberstone (Lincs) so it would have been the 60s as we moved to Inverness then Lowestoft in the 70s - I don't think there was any fruit in the yogurt; just a chocolate topping.

Schrodinger's Zebra

What were the other flavours...? I only remember the chocolate one. Do they still sell it?
I'd hazard a guess (going by the colours of the lids) that there were orange, mint and vanilla as well as the normal chocolate. But that's just a guess (although I do think I remember a mint one).

There's definitely summat still like this for sale, as I mentioned upthread we bought some a few years ago... and I think it's still for sale now... but I can't for the life of me think what make it was, don't think it was called Ice Magic anymore.

Didn't the tubs dance about in the advert and wasn't there a troupe of male strippers of the same name?
The dancing tubs sounds vaguely familiar, yes. I would have no idea about the male strippers though. :wide:

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
View attachment 18934

What were the other flavours...? I only remember the chocolate one. Do they still sell it?
Still for sale but not as ice magic. Online Sainsbury’s and Tesco’s stock it but if the real shops round here are anything to go by they don’t stock it in,physical sites. Possibly good as I may buy far too many of them...