Ski Yogurt/Yoghurt/Yoghourt

GNC

King-Sized Canary
There was a Munch Bunch kids' TV show too. My children liked it but I can't remember any details. Too traumatic.
I can sing the theme tune if you like. Oh, you would NOT like? Fair enough.

But the yoghurts were merchandising from the TV show, and outlasted their origins.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I haven't got much to add, except I read a ghost story once from the early 20th century that was parodying health-food fads and they seemed to think that the concept of eating yoghurt was hilarious.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I haven't got much to add, except I read a ghost story once from the early 20th century that was parodying health-food fads and they seemed to think that the concept of eating yoghurt was hilarious.
I can recall a common trope from 1950's American sitcoms ... Whenever a character was parodied as being one of those then-very-fringe health / fitness freaks, one or both of two particular food items would always be mentioned - yogurt and wheat germ.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I can recall a common trope from 1950's American sitcoms ... Whenever a character was parodied as being one of those then-very-fringe health / fitness freaks, one or both of two particular food items would always be mentioned - yogurt and wheat germ.
I remember a bit from Jack Kerouac's The Dharma Bums (1958), in which the other characters are incredulous at the Gary Snyder character's provisioning for their climbing trip:

"So insteada rice this time, which I usually bring, I thought I'd make a nice delicacy for you, R-a-a-y, and in the bulgur too I'm going to throw in all kinds of dried diced vegetables I bought at the Ski Shop. We'll have our supper and breakfast outa this, and for energy food this big bag of peanuts and raisins and another bag with dried apricot and dried prunes oughta fix us for the rest." And he showed me the very tiny bag in which all this important food for three grown men for twenty-four hours or more climbing at high altitudes was stored. "The main thing in going to mountains is to keep the weight as far down as possible, those packs get heavy."

"But my God there's not enough food in that little bag!"

"Yes there is, the water swells it up."

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Thanks for all the replies chaps/chapessess.
@ EnolaGaia/Escargot - Thanks for that - it seems he started at Ski in '73 so may have missed the chocolate innovation ;)
@Naughty Felid - Phew! at least someone else has come across it.
I'd forgotten all about St Ivel.
I remember my Mum getting it from Tates in Humberstone (Lincs) so it would have been the 60s as we moved to Inverness then Lowestoft in the 70s - I don't think there was any fruit in the yogurt; just a chocolate topping.
On a whim (as you do) I just googled "tates chocolate topped yoghurt 1960s" and this popped up:

http://chocolatereview.co.uk/choctalk/index.php?topic=5182.0

More specifically, this comment contained therein:
I think Eden Vale did a chocolate yoghurt in the 60s and 70s. One vivid memory I have is of my father (who was a milkman in the days when they were starting to banch out into groceries) bringin home Richard Todd Dairies 'choc top' yoghurts. These were lemon or orange yoghurts with a slightly firm but not crunchy chocolate toppping.
Could this be what you're thinking of @mikfez ? Maybe? :D

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
On a whim (as you do) I just googled "tates chocolate topped yoghurt 1960s" and this popped up:

http://chocolatereview.co.uk/choctalk/index.php?topic=5182.0

More specifically, this comment contained therein:

Could this be what you're thinking of @mikfez ? Maybe? :D
At least three person on that forum remember them :)

Found someone else - I remember loving Eden Vale choc top yogurts too. Looks like it may have been Eden Vale and not Ski and she says they had fruit at the bottom - can't remember that.

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
In the early '80s there was a cold chocolate sauce that went hard and brittle when you poured it onto ice cream. Or onto mashed potato, which was used in the advert because ice cream would melt under the studio lights. You might be remembering that.
I remember that stuff. It seemed to take an eternity waiting for it to solidify although I'm sure it was only a few minutes.

I seem to remember it was available around the same time as ChipMate, a tub of salt that tasted of vinegar.