• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sky Trumpets (Mystery Sounds; Skyquakes)

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
First the HUM, now the trumpets... Some of these reports date back to Jan 2012, but I cannot see a thread for them:

Strange Sounds Heard In Terrace, British Columbia, May Be Connected To Worldwide Phenomenon

This video is like a real-life horror movie.

Kimberly Wookey of Terrace, British Columbia, woke up early Thursday morning to a loud, strange trumpet-like sound. She'd heard the sounds before, back in June, so she grabbed her camera and recorded it. This time, she said, the noises were more intense. Her 7-year-old son was already in the living room -- he had heard the sounds and was scared, she said.

Wookey recorded the bizarre moaning noises from her living room and then posted them online, where she saw other reports of people who'd heard similar noises. One resident thought someone was dragging a dumpster and the lack of wind that day allowed the sound to carry through the valley. However, Wookey's video appears to show a quite a bit of wind.

Some claim her video is fake, and that the sounds were taken from this scene in the 2011 horror movie "Red State."

The local police aren't sure where the sounds came from.

Similar sounds have been heard elsewhere in Canada and around the world.

One day in January 2012, in the small town of North Battleford, Saskatchewan, which is 1,000 miles east of Terrace, a local radio station got around 40 calls from residents asking about strange sounds in the sky. In the far-flung community of Conklin, Alberta, which is over 300 miles from North Battleford and over 1,000 miles from Terrace, a creepy video filmed in the forest purports to show a similar phenomenon. ("It sounds like the planet is screaming in pain," one commenter wrote.) A few days after the video in Conklin appeared, a video filmed in the town of The Pas, Manitoba -- a 13-hour drive southeast -- shows more or less the same thing.

In Chicago, Ill., sounds were heard that were also very similar to those recorded by Wookey. "The weird noise started a couple days ago," the uploader wrote in January 2012. "It's loud and even violent at times."

A video from last year in Texas, this one titled "Strange sounds coming from the sky," shows a group of puzzled people listening to the eerie noises.

Other videos claim to have captured the unexplained noises in Michigan, New York and as far away as Spain and Norway. Sometimes the noise sounds like an animal moaning, other times it's a low rumble, a whine or a thumping.

The comments sections of these videos are full of people quoting the Bible or claiming the noises are a portent of the apocalypse. Others say the noises are a sign of extra-terrestrial life in the Earth's vicinity.

Of course, a good deal of skepticism is required here -- you can't believe everything you see on YouTube, no matter how real it looks. One video that purportedly captured the strange sounds in Edmonton, Alberta, has garnered almost 800,000 views, despite being an admitted hoax. Many others have been pulled from YouTube for various violations, a possible sign that copycats have seized on the trend and produced bogus videos.

But just because some of these videos were a ruse doesn't mean others aren't real. Many were uploaded in different places around the same time (most from the early months of 2012), lending credence to their claims. So far, perhaps the best explanation we've heard came from University of Saskatchewan physics professor Jean Pierre St. Maurice, who said the noises may be from electromagnetic waves emitted from aurora, natural light displays in the sky at high latitudes.

We are keeping our ears open for other explanations.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/3 ... 45343.html

I'm not convinced it was taken from the movie Red State - there's probably not enough dialogue-free audio to sample it - plus this sounds far more sinister!

That is a scary sound indeed.
I heard something like this myself in this country years ago, although it didn't last as long and wasn't as loud.
My only theory is that bedrock deep underground some distance away is moving very slowly and causing the land to resonate like the cone of a loudspeaker (i.e. it doesn't move suddenly as with an earthquake).
I can't imagine a human cause, because...what would it be? :shock:

To me it sounds like a brass instument - probably a french horn not a trumpet. The cracked notes and harmonics seem to disguise the fact that there is a single "melodic"? line here, such as could be produced by the lip tension of a single player.

Avant-garde works of the nineteen sixties often explored the range of sounds which could be derived from traditional instruments. Many mocked them as unmusical, though the sounds I hear on that video have some vestiges of quite traditional phrasing and emotional contour. Towards the end we get stereophonic thunder effects which could almost be timpani. The brass instrument seems less directional - as if they come from different sources and were mixed or spliced together.

It could be that some joker has rigged up a large amplifier and speaker to share with the town some little-known reliques of the avant-garde. Or maybe an improvisiation of his or her own devising. I am fairly sure it has a human origin. :)

I have seen some of the Youtube compilations before:

Such as this one

They are certainly eerie but there seem to be a variety of sounds, some percussive, others like feedback with harmonics, some even seem to feature hieratic chanting.

A worldwide conspiracy of avant-gardists? Hoaxers? Some natural sounds related to snow and thawing?

Wordsworth's long autobiographic poem The Prelude contains a famous account of some such sounds in Book One:

From under Esthwaite's splitting fields of ice
The pent-up air, struggling to free itself,
Gave out to meadow grounds and hills a loud 540
Protracted yelling, like the noise of wolves
Howling in troops along the Bothnic Main.

8)

It does sound like a metal dumpster / bin being dragged or pushed (e.g., across asphalt). I've heard these sorts of sounds many times as a trash truck (the type with the big fork lift to raise and empty the dumpsters) pushes an emptied bin back into place on concrete or asphalt. One one occasion I recall hearing quite sustained such sounds as a dumpster was pushed across a parking lot to a different location.

However, I don't recall ever hearing such sounds for quite so protracted a duration as in the video (in the linked article).

I've also heard very similar sounds caused by something vibrating against a large heavy metal structure or enclosure - e.g., a buffer, grinder, or drill being used on a large metal vessel. Back in my youth I worked at a metal fabrication plant, and such sounds weren't uncommon in the course of constructing large piping units and pressure vessels.

This account at examiner.com:

examiner.com/article/strange ... ain-canada
Link (and website) now dead. See below for the MIA webpage's content and link to the originally-linked video.

... includes the following comment:

The audio of the video includes what sounds like a freight train slamming on its brakes. Or, as some would put it, a movie monster being struck in the heart with an arrow.

If you survey Terrace on Google Maps (satellite view) you'll see there's a substantial rail yard situated in the middle of the town. Hmmmm ...

Strange sounds heard again in Canada (Video)
August 29, 2013

The strange sounds phenomenon, heard all over the world in late 2011, is back after a nearly two year break. What is the explanation?

In a video posted to YouTube on Aug. 29, the sounds, now known as "skyquakes" or "sky trumpets", can be heard in all their spooky glory as a woman, going by the name of Kimberly Wookey, points her video camera at the peaceful, sleepy, early morning street scene outside her window.

The audio of the video includes what sounds like a freight train slamming on its brakes. Or, as some would put it, a movie monster being struck in the heart with an arrow.

Either way, it's some of the creepiest sounds ever heard playing against the backdrop of a typically serene, Canadian residential neighborhood.

The setting is listed as Terrace, BC, Canada, which is near the same location of several famous "sky trumpet" incidents videotaped in late 2011.

This particular video doesn't fall into the same category as its more famous predecessors. There are no people reacting to the screeches, and a gentle rain, accented with the distant rumblings of thunder, plays out behind the weird noises.

But no instance to date has caught the eerie sounds with such quality or clarity. ...

SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/2013083...com/article/strange-sounds-heard-again-canada

LINKED VIDEO Can Still Be Accessed At YouTube:

Last edited:
EnolaGaia said:
This account at examiner.com:

http://www.examiner.com/article/strange ... ain-canada

... includes the following comment:

If you survey Terrace on Google Maps (satellite view) you'll see there's a substantial rail yard situated in the middle of the town. Hmmmm ...

That would be it, then! :D

Theory: Take random video. Add spooky audio track layer. Spooky! The hoaxers caught on that people realized they were all using the audio from the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzY099ihULs), so they've taken to adding audio from different sources.

JamesWhitehead said:
It could be that some joker has rigged up a large amplifier and speaker to share with the town some little-known reliques of the avant-garde. Or maybe an improvisiation of his or her own devising.
I was thinking this too... No doubt they'll get someone to do this on Fact or Faked? before heading over to the rail yard... 8)

Alternatively --

Strange Sounds Warnings
Posted on July 28, 2013

The strange sounds being heard around the world that many are calling ‘trumpet sounds’ or ‘sounds of the apocalypse’ are extremely harmful to listen to. The sounds in the YouTube videos that first began in Kiev are mind control weapons given to the satanic New World Order by Satan’s ET’s.

Do NOT listen to any of the videos people are posting, even briefly, no matter how curious you are to find out what they sound like. Listening for mere seconds is all it takes to become demon possessed. (If you have listened to them ask God to forgive you and heal you, and also free you any of demons that have entered in, I had to do this myself)

(From Linda Newkirk)

Do not listen to these sounds, even briefly! These low-level sounds have a very terrible effect on the body. These sounds cause the lower nerve center of the body to oscillate at a lower frequency, to slow down in its circulation, and to open up. When this happens, demonic entities can quickly enter into one’s body. This lower neurological center is also the “seat” of the soul. This is the place where the soul is attached to one’s body.

When one listens to these sounds, one may experience an actual pain, or vibration in the lower abdominal area, or at the base of the spine. This sensation may be pronounced, or very subtle. Many may not notice this strange sensation at all as most people are not really focused on any inner sensations, but have their eyes and ears glued to the outside world.

These Satanists are not at all stupid. They know exactly what they are doing in pummeling the people with these terrible sounds. But, the people do not know and they are literally opening themselves to demonic possession, to very great mind control, and even in due season to the easing of the soul from its housing in the body, or in the causing of an unstable connection of the soul to one’s body. This, then, is creating something like a dissociative state
The unstable ones will fall first. Hear me in this. This is a very serious problem, but sadly many will not listen. Do not spend your time listening to these sounds. You may already be in trouble.
http://revelation12.ca/the-antichrist-now-revealed/

:D

sherbetbizarre said:
Alternatively --

Do not listen to these sounds, even briefly! These low-level sounds have a very terrible effect on the body. These sounds cause the lower nerve center of the body to oscillate at a lower frequency, to slow down in its circulation, and to open up. When this happens, demonic entities can quickly enter into one’s body. This lower neurological center is also the “seat” of the soul. This is the place where the soul is attached to one’s body.

Well, that explains pipe organs in the churches ... :twisted:

I live not far from a busy rail yard (admittedly in the UK) and those noises do not sound like any train squeals I've ever heard. Train brakes sound much higher in pitch and have a real 'metal on metal' sound.

That sounds like some sort of brass instrument to me.

I'd also wonder where the hell everyone else was in that town. If you get a loud unusual noise I imagine the first reaction would be to come out of your house and have a look around for a source.

I've worked on the railway for my entire career since leaving school and I've never heard a train make any sort of noise like that, ever.

EnolaGaia said:
It does sound like a metal dumpster / bin being dragged or pushed (e.g., across asphalt). I've heard these sorts of sounds many times as a trash truck...

That was my first thought: sounds very much like a metal container - or at least something metal which is shaped in a way that allows sound to resonate - being dragged against another metal surface, or across a hard surface like concrete or tarmac. I've seen an empty builders skip nosed across a car park to the accompaniment of a similar sound - and a similar action performed by a couple of manitous on an empty shipping container (we had to wear ear defenders for that one).

From CBC news:

On Friday afternoon city spokesperson Alisa Thompson said she had a simpler explanation — it was a city worker grinding down the blade on a grader.

"The grader blade needed to be straightened. Kind of gets ground down, and it makes a very strange noise. It's as simple as that," said Thompson.

"The video, the YouTube video, is actually right around the corner from the arena, and that's where our employee was doing the straightening."

I'm having a job hearing the grinder. To be honest, if it's anything to do with this I'd say it sounds more like the detached blade being dragged across a hard surface - but, if the sound hasn't been fiddled with, it maybe seems too loud for that.

That said, most of the sounds I've heard proposed as 'sky trumpets' or whatever over the last year or so sound suspiciously industrial to me; one which seems very common is that which is made by high level cranes groaning on their bearings, the sound resonating through the entire structure - which can sound really quite striking, like industrial whalesong.

Sounds like the Horns of Jericho to me .. this first one's from the 4th of April this year ..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard something like this myself (a few years ago, in the middle of the night).
I opened the window to see what it was.
Couldn't see anything, went back to bed.

Just a thought - if it's nothing man-made, it could well be the bed rock in the ground making stress noises as the poles slowly shift. But then, wouldn't that show up on instrumentation somewhere?

I was recently doing some work for my brother when I was reminded of this story. He's an ex Royal Engineer, now works in civil engineering and has over time driven and maintained about every plant vehicle imaginable - so I thought I'd just play him the video without priming him as to the story, the official explanation, or anything I mentioned above.

He recognised the sound immediately and had no doubt as to its origin. According to him it is, as the official version maintains, the bucket on some kind of digger being 'graded' - which is where the vehicle is operated while the empty bucket is grazing a hard surface, in order to grind a worn leading edge or blunted tines and/or flatten out dents in the metal. He's actually got footage of the same thing being done to a digger in a steep sided valley in Bosnia, and the sound is truly awesome.

So, seems in this case that the official version is probably the right one. (My confusion in the post above was based on the fact that I thought the official meant that an angle-grinder was being used on the bucket - and I couldn't work out what would necessitate that, or equate it with the sound being made.)

Last edited:
We did have a thread on this. Wasn't it suggested that someone had been using the sound of the Tripods from the War of the Worlds movie over ordinary clips?

Some groovy sounds there, the one with the singing type timbre to it is eerie.

Probably not the last trump though. Unless I've missed the rising dead.

Those all sound like synthesizers to me, rather than "apocalyptic trumpets". If you want to know what apocalyptic trumpets would sound like, just listen to the Stan Kenton orchestra kicking off. I suspect Brian Eno is behind this phenomenon.

Some most eccentric comments on Youtube re those sounds. I think top prize goes to Sliver 17S: "The Japanese can also affect the weather and I think China as well. Wtf are they playing at doe? Leave the weather alone you fool!"

Last edited:
Could a satellite bombard an area of the earth with such sounds? Or could high altitude aircraft be releasing such odd noises?

We did have a thread on this. Wasn't it suggested that someone had been using the sound of the Tripods from the War of the Worlds movie over ordinary clips?
Not only suggested, but shown to be the case for at least some of the videos as the uploaders didn't alter the sounds of the Tripods.

I know there are likely many threads on mysterious booms, hums and so on..but I can't find any active one, so be nice when you move this thread elsewhere.

This morning a personal friend posted the following on Facebook:

"Totally just heard those strange noises in the sky... Woke me up they were that loud... Didn't record it myself but this is exactly what it sounded like!!!"
Followed by this video

On questioning he elaborated

"It was really freaky... I thought maybe it was something at the airport.. But it went on for ages and it was coming from all directions...And at about 3am Heathrow is pretty much closed.... Super scary.... Know I wasn't going crazy as it woke both myself and Lee up.."

I have heard something like this myself in the early hours of one morning - although it didn't last for very long and wasn't as loud as those examples (as far as I can tell).

As it's been happening all over the world, my speculation has thrown up:

(a) Sound from space. Yeah, yeah, I know, there isn't much gas in space to transmit sounds and vibrations. However, Earth's atmosphere could be affected by gravitic and magnetospheric changes happening suddenly. Also, cataclysmic events across the galaxy may not only be witnessed here as light information, we may also be hearing the sound from those events that happened millions of years ago (transmitted across vast distances in very thin gas concentrations). Or, it may be the effects of a coronal mass ejection hitting Earth's atmosphere and causing some localised phenomenon.

(b) Deep down in Earth's crust, changes and movements may be taking place as the planet's poles shift gradually. This could be transmitting itself to the atmosphere, sounds coming up through cracks in the crust.

(c) It could be somebody twatting about with some heavy construction equipment in the early hours of the morning.

Last edited:
Some obvious points I have to make regarding these video clips:

• the sounds appear to be very-similar to each-other (in rates of commencement, tonal range, sustainance and duration)
  • their echoing haunting nature immediately reminds me of whale-song, and/or extended-pitch sonar. Undersea...under sky.
  • some of these videos (or all) may be splices/overdubs, therefore your friend's own personally-attested experience is excellent
  • Remember, the Earth is just somebody's high school science experiment. When it comes to time for the holidays, and the new gods come along for the next semester, we'll all just get binned.

I got quite interested in these for a while but I'm pretty sure the vast majority are hoaxes and the rest are explainable, like the one where some guy was resurfacing some football stadium or the like and his metal digger was making the noise.
Now the Hum on the other hand...heard that one myself loads!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back