• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Skype Weirdness

dejanmikic

Abominable Snowman
Heh - finally something spooky happened to me today.

We had our baby's birthday party (his 1st one, bless him).
So everything went well, cake was delicious, baby finger food all gone and babies felt like they need afternoon nap so one by one they all went home.

All, apart from one friend that came from another town and had a late train.
So we talked to her about vacations, seaside, some hotels in Cyprus she will go to later in the year.

Anyhow, she went home as well and my missus decided to call her sister via Skype to report on the baby's party.

And finally, something weird happened in my life!

As we got connected, her sister said that they got a call via Skype 20 mins before and that they heard all that we were discussing about Cyprus, hotels.... They shouted and shouted but we could not hear them.

How???
Our laptops were sleeping with lids closed down. Cell phones were on the table without anyone touching them. How could she heard our conversation over Skype when we were not logged on??

I have checked my missus's account and there were no placed calls in her Skype account.

I need to think about this one - any ideas folks?

What Skype-capable devices were within voice range when you were chatting with the friend about Cyprus, etc.?

Can the sister confirm whose account it was from which the Skype call she received originated?

What Skype-capable devices were within voice range when you were chatting with the friend about Cyprus, etc.?

Can the sister confirm whose account it was from which the Skype call she received originated?

Laptops were with closed lids.
Cell phones were on the table in front of us, both sleeping as well with dark screens.
Initial report from sister is that the call came from my missus's account but I will double check in the morning. As I said, I have checked my missus' Skype history and there is no trace of placed call.

Maybe you both got hacked in a previous Skype call and the hacker left you both active?
Otherwise, no idea.

A laptop isn't necessarily asleep when the screen is closed - depends on your power settings.

Same with phones - the screen can go dark even when you're talking to someone, again it depends on your power settings.

Pretty odd that it isn't in the Skype history though.....

Perhaps there's an automatic recording function which starts when it hear sounds. How it was able to turn on Skype I have no idea.

UPDATE:

Finally managed to talk to my SO's sister. Apparently, they have received a call from my SO's account. When answered, all they heard was us talking about holidaying in Cyprus. They shouted but since there was no response from our side, they hang up.

Skype records in my SO's laptop don't show any records of such call.

But.... wait for it.... after few days have passed now the Skype records on her cell phone are showing a call that lasted 43 seconds. There was no such record when we checked few days ago! I am sure of it because there were records for a previous call and there were subsequent records on calls happening later that day. But for sure there was no records of this phantom call. Again, nothing in her account on laptop, although the rest of the records is in sync - so whatever is in cell phone records appears on the laptop as well.

I guess this is it, minor weirdness but there are not too many of those in my life - it's the first one :) Seems like my anti-magnet for things fortean and weird started to weaken - hopefully more to come :)

Back