• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Skywheel

A

Anonymous

James Burnley

I’m writing this because I hope someone out there can give me some natural explanation for what I experienced.

It was about 5 years ago, and I was living in Birmingham, England. At about 3am my parents awoke me to inform me of something they could see in the sky, so I went out to see for myself, looking North the sky was filled with a huge cartwheel like silhouette it was purple in colour and was spinning.

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/skywheel.shtml

Link is dead. See post below for complete text.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sometimes happens when a large outdoor disco or pop concert takes place. If they have powerful strobe lights on a rotating drum etc, this can cast a reflection on the cloud base if it's not too high (e.g. cumulus cloud). It sometimes causes UFO reports.
Not certain of course, but a good possibility.

Bill Robinson

Yes, a few years ago I was among several people who saw an amazing show of light(s) in the sky, moving in a circular motion ,that we reckoned were coming from a "Fireworks and Laser" display some miles away. We all agreed we would have thought of "flying saucers" if we hadn`t been aware of the event that was taking place. (Living as I do, not that far away from Birmingham, it could even have been the same event!)

MsT

Shining circular moving lights onto the clouds was really popular at discos etc. in Ireland for a while. You would see a giant ring of lights spinning moving around in the sky and, if you didn't know what it was, you could probably have mistaken it for something fortean. I think they have since been banned because they interfere with flight paths or something like that.

Shining circular moving lights onto the clouds was really popular at discos etc. in Ireland for a while. You would see a giant ring of lights spinning moving around in the sky and, if you didn't know what it was, you could probably have mistaken it for something fortean.

I always remember going on a school holiday to france and seeing something like that. me and a couple of friends were at some pointless group activity and were going to sneak away and try at using a ouija board, it was the thing that unnerved us enough to stay.

If you see it again please whatever you do, try to stop it landing, and alert me via this board.

I'd never live it down if I let a border collie beat me at frisbee, so try to keep it in the air for me.
Ta.

Several years ago (mid/late 80's) in Telford (about 40 miles northwest of Birmingham- and a strange, fortean place in its own right- birthplace of the industrial revolution; more roundabouts per square kilometre than anywhere else in europe, possibly the world; etc... - There is a point to all of this, bear with me) the indoor junior tennis championships were held at a place called 'The Racquet Centre' (now renamed and restyled into something like the 'Telford International Centre' -no honestly there is a point, keep reading).

Anyway they hired some very large lights called 'Skyscans' which consisted of a large spotlight with a mirror assembly. These Skyscans projected a large number of colour changing lights into the sky that whizzed around in rapid geometric patterns (large circles, stars, explosions from a point, squares, triangles- you get the idea).

The problem was they didn't inform anybody they were doing this. Quite a UFO flap developed as very few people knew of the event, also the Skyscans were quite new at the time, so the lights in the sky were unusual, especially the patterns and the colours. Some of the older folks said it reminded them of the war, with the sweeping beams.

The local newspaper (The Shopshire Star) carried a number of stories relating to the lights and the "UFO Hoax" as they called it. Always desperate for a story is the shropshire star (quite a laff as they often report such unlikely to be reported things as bicycle thefts and cow tippings, also great forteana coverage as they will print anything to make copy) and so they stretched this out for about a weeks news. I remember a BA pilot had been quite shocked as he had overflown the site on route to Birmingham and quite unlike most UFO investigators 'code of silence' theory would suggest reported it immediately. He described the bank of cloud below him lighting up in "a great catherine wheel" of blue lights, that looked to him like it was rising toward him (of course the size of the circle was just being increased as the lights moved around) .

Since then the centre have always warned the appropriate authorities (including the local police I believe) about the use of these lights.

I'm wondering if these lights (possibly combined with a little freak weather following a thunderstorm, high clouds or a temperature inversion to provide the shortened window of 15 mins you saw it for) couldn't be the source (see I told you there was a point to the rambling above- ok not much of one granted).
I don't know how closely the times of the Raquet Centre hosting the Junior Tennis Championships and your sighting correlate (october 1988?!? feels about right but I really can't remember and unfortunately the archives of the shropshirestar.com site are very poor and as I moved way from shropshire a decade ago I can't exactly pop down and check the records- any other salopians/telfordians recall this?), but what I do know is that they carried on using the lights for conferences and things well into the 90's.

Skywheels

Hi, this is my first post. I remember as a child reading about a skywheel being seen at sea by a ship's crew. I believe the book was "Strangely Enough" by C.B. Colby.

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

-------------------------------------------
SKYWHEEL

James Burnley

I’m writing this because I hope someone out there can give me some natural explanation for what I experienced.

It was about 5 years ago, and I was living in Birmingham, England. At about 3am my parents awoke me to inform me of something they could see in the sky, so I went out to see for myself, looking North the sky was filled with a huge cartwheel like silhouette it was purple in colour and was spinning. It would spin several times before disappearing and then after perhaps a minutes wait would start again it did this several times and the whole experience probably lasted a good 15 mins. Only half the cart wheel was visible but I imagine the rest may have been below my horizon, I have since pondered on whether this was some kind of weird reflection or mirage created by something on the ground but the shear scale of the thing has made me rule this out.

I’m pretty sure this has a natural explanation but just can’t think what. I remember the day before there had been a huge thunder storm. I don’t know if the two were related but the image having been almost the same colour as the lightning makes it worth thinking about.
--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/20020808132119/http://www.forteantimes.com:80/happened/skywheel.shtml

Skywheels

Hi, this is my first post. I remember as a child reading about a skywheel being seen at sea by a ship's crew. I believe the book was "Strangely Enough" by C.B. Colby.
—————
Great book. That wheel was underwater. The glowing hub was above water, seen by occupants of an approaching ship. As people watched the huge spokes of light revolve under them, the wheel sank lower & lower until no light remained.

A nice review from https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/254947.Strangely_Enough :
"This was one of the first books I owned as a child. It is full of interesting, easy to read, amazing stories about ghosts and lost treasures and strange events . . . . It also teaches you about the world and different places and different times. I bought it from the bookmobile in, probably, 1976 or so. It was one of the most influential books on my young life. It is what lead me to reading a cranky and forgotten writer from the 1930's like Charles Fort in 4th Grade. . . ."

Darn it! Yet another book I have to read which I learned about from this forum!

A nice review from https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/254947.Strangely_Enough :
"This was one of the first books I owned as a child. It is full of interesting, easy to read, amazing stories about ghosts and lost treasures and strange events . . . . It also teaches you about the world and different places and different times. I bought it from the bookmobile in, probably, 1976 or so. It was one of the most influential books on my young life. It is what lead me to reading a cranky and forgotten writer from the 1930's like Charles Fort in 4th Grade. . . ."

Darn it! Yet another book I have to read which I learned about from this forum!
*sigh* me too

Great book. That wheel was underwater. The glowing hub was above water, seen by occupants of an approaching ship. As people watched the huge spokes of light revolve under them, the wheel sank lower & lower until no light remained.

We have a thread for these oceanic mysteries - most commonly reported from the Indian Ocean region.

Submarine Lightwheels / Light Wheels / Water Wheels
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/submarine-lightwheels-light-wheels-water-wheels.70/

Back