Sleep Deprivation: A Modern Plague?

TheOriginalCujo

Abominable Snowman
The more we do the less we sleep. In the modern world the presures of work and leasure are squeasing out sleep. If you need proof you only have to look at the times some of us are awake and posting to the message boards.

We deprive ourselves of sleep willingly and often look on time asleep as time wasted yet sleep deprivation is a form of torture. It can lead to psychosis and ultimately death.

There is evidence that chronically sleep deprived people are more prone to accendents. Many of us who wouldn't dream of driving while drunk are happy to get into the car on a couple of hours sleep.

So how much sleep do you need? 6 hours, 8 hours? Judging by other primates and by sleep research done in Antarctica. We need between 9 and a half and 13 hours sleep every day. Those of us who need more than 10 or so hours need to top up with a nap in the afternoon.

Scary isn't it.

Cujo

Hospitaller

Ephemeral Spectre
I recall some French research which found that the ideal human sleep pattern was from midnight to 6am with a siesta after a large midday meal. They reckoned that this was why people in Meditteranean countries were so healthy...

A

Anonymous

your not kidding, you know as well as others who are in the chat room were in there till sometimes 3am and ive to be up at 6:30 for work dont leave long for sleep and i dont have chance for a nap in the afternoon

see you tonight in the chat lol
cas,

im up till this time every night and peeps wonder why i post in most links lol sleep deprivation thats what it is lol

A

Anonymous

hospitaller said:
I recall some French research which found that the ideal human sleep pattern was from midnight to 6am with a siesta after a large midday meal. They reckoned that this was why people in Meditteranean countries were so healthy...
I'll go with that, Hospitaller - if we can have 10pm-9am for the main stint?

But seriously, and personally, I function best on about 9 hours sleep, but probably get only around 6-6.5 on weekdays.

A

Anonymous

I usualy dont go to bed until 3-5 am and wake uo around noon ( i dont go to work until 3pm). That gives me 7-9 hours of sleep and it seems like enough! who knows though......

_schnor

Abominable Snowman
No matter how busy I am, I always try to have at least 8 hrs sleep a day, no matter what. The way I see it is, even if I am getting behind with work, if I have 4 hrs sleep I'm bugger all use to anyone and still don't get any work done.

I sometimes may be behind, but at least I'm not nackered all the time :)

Just one of those things that your gran pesters you about when you were a kid, but now grown up we kinda see the wisdom in those old tales :)

A

Anonymous

While I agree with what has been posted, it is also a fact that the older one gets the less sleep one needs. For example, after a working life, retied people often find that they cannot change their sleep habits and will be up at six or seven, even if they have only had three or four hours sleep. It has often been recorded that people in their eighties, if helathy, can function perfectly on several naps of an hour or two each, with out a night's sleep.

However, it is also know that the huamn body works on a circadian rythm of 24 hours which generally resets itself around 4am. Therefore, if you ar asleep when this happens, that is the most imporant thing. For people who are unaccustomed to working nights, you know that time every night when you get giggly, can't concentrate and just feel useless for about half an hour, that is it. Sugarlevels are low and the body resets itself. Usually, but not always, this is around 4am.

mikelegs

Ephemeral Spectre
I don't know if this is true for everyone, but I'm tired throughout the day if I get too little or too *much* sleep. Indeed, the longer I sleep, the harder it is for me to get out of bed. The weird thing for me is that my weekends work best if I stay up really late and get up really early on fri-sat and/or sat-sun. Sometimes I don't go to bed until 5 or 6 am and get up at 8:30 or 9, feeling not spectacular, but pretty darn good. After that I transition smoothly into my 7-10 hours a night during the week. My only idea is that the deprivation on the weekends helps me get to sleep more quickly and sleep more deeply throughout the next week. When I do 'normal' sleeping on weekends, I have problems getting to sleep and also staying asleep throughout the week. Anyone else, or am I just a freak here?

And despite whatever minor sleep problems I do have, I thank all the gods and godesses I don't suffer insomnia... oh what torture!

But I'm all for the midday siesta. Never going to happen in the US, but some days I take it upon myself... heh.

lucydru

Ephemeral Spectre
It's true, sometimes too little or too much sleep can make you tired though the day. I get it a lot (due to too much sleep).

luce

carole

Justified & Ancient
I reckon I get about 6-7 hours sleep, tho' some nights, this forum plays havoc with that!

If I have a couple of late nights on the trot I try to make up for it the next night, but sometimes wake up at about 3 and can't get back to sleep again.

Lucy's right, though, too much sleep is as bad as too little.

I think my optimum hours would be to go to bed at 1 am and get up about 8.30 to 9, but, of course, work, kids, cats, etc, don't allow that!

Carole

A

Anonymous

your right this mb does reak havoc with sleeping pattern i sometime find im in the chat till 4 or 5 in a morning!

im in there now lol
cas

A

Anonymous

Yeah, and Casio's not the only one. There are others who party 'til the early hours (you have to bring your own drink, of course).
So, come and join me, Casio, Cujo, Niles, Lucydru, Chia, Cain, Conrad, Mirar, and others....

...but, please, no garish clothes, or loud music (it disturbs the neighbours).

:D

gremlinclr

Junior Acolyte
I saw a news report some time ago that stated people who work nights or long shifts (midnight to noon in my case :mad: ) age three times faster than normal. Kind of scary.

carole

Justified & Ancient
Yes, but it's not the real stuff, stored in copper vats to give the nice green colour and send you bonkers:madeyes:

Carole

lucydru

Ephemeral Spectre
Well if it is ment to age you quicker then I think I should be ok since my dad looks the youngest out of him and his brother and sisters. He is the second oldest though and almost 50!

As for Absynth the stuff you get in tesco's isn't as strong as the real stuff. I know this by a trip to Ibiza. A poor woman had a shot of it after she went on the karioke (sp) and she and her family soon left the bar (she was very out of it).

luce

Mattattattatt

Abominable Snowman
I usually get to sleep around 3:00-3:30AM and I'm out of the house most mornings by 7:30AM. Funnily enough, though, I'm much happier sleeping about 6:00AM till 4:00PM, with the time of the day that I'd say I felt most vital was around midnight... I think I may have a displaced (delayed) circadian rythm...

Oh, and Absinthe is my one and only muse in life :)

A

Anonymous

hmmm.... i go to bed at about 3 in the morning and am up at about 8 thats 5 days of the week lol, week ends are good about 4 in the mornings and 1 in the afternoon lol

rynner2

Great Old One
carole said:
Yes, but it's not the real stuff, stored in copper vats to give the nice green colour and send you bonkers:madeyes:
Carole
That sounds nasty - copper is poisonous!

Old fashioned copper cooking pans had to be coated inside with tin (I think).

mikelegs

Ephemeral Spectre
hmmm.... i go to bed at about 3 in the morning and am up at about 8 thats 5 days of the week
That reminds me very much of my college days. During my freshman year, I had calc I and calc II 4 days a week at 8am. I seriously never made it to bed before 3 and often later. It didn't work out too well, though, because there were times when I didn't even remember being in class even though the prof swore I was there, and there are very 'fuzzy' periods of 2-3 days when I was ill. And there was no alcohol involved in ANY of this, believe it or not.

Rather than changing my sleeping habits, I scheduled later classes....

carole

Justified & Ancient
When I was at uni, the lecturers were VERY sensible. They reasoned that hardly anyone would turn up for 9 am lectures, and those who did would be out of it, so the academic day started at 10. Very civilised!

Carole

A

Anonymous

pardon my ignorance (larger and ale man myself) but what is absinthe? ive never heard of it! is it something like after shocks?

a very bemused cas,:confused:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
It can be bought in the UK but represents an example of
clever marketing hype for what is essentially a strong, bitter
anise type liquor.

Typical drinkers? artists? well artists of a kind, I guess.

The most distinctive thing about it is the price. If seeking a very
similar thrill, I will come and pick your pockets while you drink a
Pernod tainted with ear-wax. :eek:

carole

Justified & Ancient
Going off at a tangent, but while we're mentioning the overratedness of modern absinthe, why on earth do people pay thousands of pounds for a 200 year old bottle of wine??

:confused:
Carole