• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

SLEEP PARALYSIS, I GET IT, TOO!

A

Anonymous

I have just read with interest several postings on here about sleep paralysis, and people describing their experiences with it. This is most interesting, because I have had sleep paralysis several times in my life, since childhood. Let me elucidate...

During childhood, I often used to dream that I was paralysed, and someone I didn't know was tickling me on the ribs and under my arms, grinning evilly because they knew I was extremely ticklish and couldn't stand it, but was paralysed and unable to push them away. They were enjoying my fear and discomfort. That used to freak me out, and I used to fear going to sleep sometimes.

However, during adulthood, I have many times experienced a feeling of total paraylsis whilst being aware that I'm in my bed, awake. (Maybe they were false awakenings, but they seemed so real). Each time this happens, there's a feeling of an evil presence in the room. Once, I swear I felt something animal or human biting the back of my head, I could actually feel the teeth scraping on me. Another time, someone was stroking the back of my neck. I tried with all my might to scream out for Mum in the next room, but no matter how hard I tried, all that came out was a pathetic virtually inudible whisper. I could hear this presence laughing softly under their breath at my fear, at the fact that I was unable to call out for Mum, and at my inability to stop them due to the paralysis. Another time, I felt the weight of something landing on me. It made an animal roar and seemed to be trying to bite my neck (no, I don't have a dog, or any other pets, before you ask). As I said before, each time I am aware I'm lying in my bed, I'm aware of my surroundings, and could even hear my bedside radio playing in the background on one occasion.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has experienced this, whether they be new to the message board or the people who have posted on here about it before. Please do, I'd love to hear from you.

Alexa

Sounds like a rather toothy night hag. What a hideous feeling, something gnawing on you !!!

For more night tickle terror stories read the Raggedy Ann thread starting with this post.

Alexa, you poor thing. I too get sleep P....about every 3 or 4 week's.
Is this still happening to you?

I have only had this happen one time, but it was only a couple months ago so I remember it very clearly. I was lying on my stomach and I felt something that felt like a hand pressing on my back very gently. So gently that I should have been able to move, but I couldn't. I desperately tried to turn my head around to see what was there but I was unable to do so. I also tried to shout to my mom only to discover that I couldn't talk. Eventually the weight lifted off my back. I was also terrified to sleep the next night. I am still not sure if this is real or a dream.

I've had sleep paralysis a few times too. It hasn't been accompanied by a sense of an evil presence or anything though -- just fear at not being able to move. If I make a real effort I wake up fully and a couple of times have almost flown off the bed.

From what I've read, the body actually is paralysed during certain phases of sleep. If for some reason you wake up part way during this time you can become vaguely aware of the paralysis and of your surroundings. So you're somewhat awake and not able to move. That's pretty scary by itself.

ive had sleep paralysis a few time in my life as well, one time it lasted for about 5 minutes. This other time i was awake(eyes open not closed) when it happened, i was in my bed, i woke up and i could see shadows moving around out of the corner of my eye, at first i was scared that something was going to happen to me, a little while after that i was beginning to get angry. i couldnt move or speak, just blink my eyes and breathe, but when it finally wore off, i swung my fist behind me as fast as i could to try and hit the "shadows" but they were gone, i was thinking about that incident the rest of the day. I hate sleep paralysis because u dont know whats really going on around u, just what u can see.
sometimes i even have dreams of being paralized, it doesnt usually scare me, just p1$$#$ me off to no end. I just want to beat the crap out of the first thing i can get my hands on when it wears off. :headbutt:

Back