• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sleep Paralysis & Night Hag Experience

Have you ever experienced the 'Night-Hag' phenomenon?

• Many times

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Just once

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Never

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
Re: Statistics

tattooted: Its an interesting one - I suspect we possibly all interpret things within our own frameworks. It would be intersting

On the witch archtype - it was clearly big in ealier times and (like the vampire) has made the transition to fiction and so stays alive that way and is still very potent. There is a TV ad on at the moment for some kind of hair product and I have no idea why but they show three generations of women and the older lady has long straight grey/silver hair and I don't know why but I find it oddly unsettling and people I've spoke to also say it gets to them somehow and suggest it might be because she recalls the idea of a witch somehow. Anyone know which one I'm talking about? I could probably find a piccie with more details.

OldTimeRadio said:
Emps, I spent a long afternoon going through my SP files and attempting to compile statistics as to both types and frequency of OH visualizations

I'm only about one-third of the way through, but so far I've established 22 categories. Of those, "Old Crone" accounts are indeed the largest single group, at 26 1/4 percent of the reports. The nearest runners-up are "Demons" (10 percent) and "Black or Dark Shadow Entities" at 8 3/4 percent. For what it's worth, "Old Man" reports come in at a mere 3 3/4 percent.

Now the charge may be leveled that I unconsciously selected for "Crones," but if that were truly the case I don't believe I would have come up with (so far) 22 types.

Its difficult to comment really (I don't know your sampling procedure, how ou categorise things, etc.) but your results are very interesting.

It certianly seems to fly in the face of other collections of SP attacks - I don't have the time to go back through the thread here and see if any patterns emerge but I will have to pencil it in.

Still Computing

I'm about three-quarters through and hope to finish by tomorrow.

Currently "Old Crones" (43 encounters) have been upstaged by "Dark, Black, Shadowy Entities" (65 encounters) but the "Crones" remain BY FAR the largest single gender- and age-specific category.

Tattooted, I'll be publishing the entire list here when finished. (I'm now up to 35 categories.)

tattooted said:
"[W]hy are people in the US and the UK still seeing malevolent crones at all? There isn't a lot of cultural stuff out there that still is feeding that archetype, as far as I can tell. Hansel and Gretel, the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz, Roald Dahl's the Witches, Witchie Poo from H.R. Puf'n'Stuff--but surely it takes more than this to keep the Old Hag thought construct alive?"

We all seem to be conceptualizing the malignant "Old Crone" as an archtype, a symbolized representation OF evil. But can't malevolence simply BE malevolence? Why do we so force ourselves to hyper- symbolize everything? Maybe some things just ARE. (It was precisely that everthing-is-just-a-symbol-of-something-else-which-is-also-merely-a- symbol approach which so turned me off to the writings of Joseph Campbell.)

And:

"It almost is enough to make you think that there sometimes is a real outside entity at the bottom of OH/SP."

That is in fact my current position. I suspect that at least some Crones, Old Men, Demons, Shadow Beings and similar SP "visitors" possess something approaching self-awareness.

I have had some wierd night time visitors in the last few years (reported on the 'it happened to me' forum) and have been, until recently, absolutely certain that I was being haunted by something.

Despite being so adamant that what I had experienced was real, as opposed to a projection from me (and sorry Emperor for being a bit rude maybe at the time), I carried out two experiments. I decided that if I ever felt that there was something in the room when I was sleeping, that before I opened my eyes I would 'decide' what it / they were going to look like and then try to make them do what I wanted them to do. I did experience that feeling of terror again and before I opened my eyes, I decided that the 'vision' was going to be of a character from one of my sons playstation games. Sure enough when I opened my eyes there was a cartoonish figure of a purple clad magician hovering about two feet above me! It faded as I watched it. I was still scared (the adrenaline still pumped) I was also pleased at the result.

Later, I again had the 'terror' feeling and imagined (in a split second) that this time there would be two entities and that they would be classic white-sheeted ghosts. I opened my eyes, and sure enough there they were. Next I umagined that one of them would shake the duvet and shout 'boo!', which it did. I was still terrified, still had the adrenaline, but also laughed as I came to because it was all so silly.

I actually look forward to the next one; maybe I can imagine Brad Pitt! 8)

I still don't have an explanation for the figure that I saw in the doorway, whilst I was definetely awake and eating. But if you can project things when you are asleep, surely you can when you are awake? I also don't have any explanation for some of the other things that happen around my husband (as mentioned elsewhere) but maybe the start of it is here. After all if you are doing a seance or something, maybe you are actually inviting yourself / other people to project / hallucinate and is the answer to alot of this phenomena. If you imagine your house to be haunted, perhaps you are inviting yourself to hallucinate - this was auditory hallucination / projection as well!

Sorry about this being a bit long. I originally came to this board because I wanted answers to what I had experienced and sure enough, I have got some!

melon24 said:
Sorry about this being a bit long. I originally came to this board because I wanted answers to what I had experienced and sure enough, I have got some!

Thanks for the update - thats really impressive experimentation with some fascinating results. I'm nearly wishing I had another SP attack to test this out (although I'd happily not go through another one again). Let us know how things go if you continue this.

You might want to look into the idea of tulpas.

Here's another creature whose origin may lie partly in people's sleep-parallysis experiences:
The Malays call it Hantu Tetek which means 'Breast Ghost' when translated to English. This ghost is a female ghost and has a huge breasts. She uses her breasts to attack its victim and make full use of her huge breasts to suffocate them to death. Some say, the Hantu Tetek's breasts is at the back instead of the front. There are many different version of how this ghost came about. Some people says she is actually a Balinese witch.
Mothers in kampung villages usually warn their children of this ghost and tell them not to play outside during the dusk period for this ghosts favourite victim is young men and small children. Once caught, they'll never be seen again.
http://history.sfogs.com/tetek.htm

Bannik said:
Here's another creature whose origin may lie partly in people's sleep-parallysis experiences:
The Malays call it Hantu Tetek which means 'Breast Ghost' when translated to English. This ghost is a female ghost and has a huge breasts. She uses her breasts to attack its victim and make full use of her huge breasts to suffocate them to death. Some say, the Hantu Tetek's breasts is at the back instead of the front. There are many different version of how this ghost came about. Some people says she is actually a Balinese witch.
Mothers in kampung villages usually warn their children of this ghost and tell them not to play outside during the dusk period for this ghosts favourite victim is young men and small children. Once caught, they'll never be seen again.
http://history.sfogs.com/tetek.htm

Known as Chesty Morgan in English.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069952/

Old Hag Statistics

Here are the statistics I promised you a couple of weeks back:

66 Dark, black, shadowy figure.

49 Old Hag or Crone.

32 Unknown (includes "pressure" with no visual images).

20 Male, age unknown or unspecified.

11 Man, elderly.

11 Voice, disembodied.

06 UFO Alien.

06 Woman, younger (up to middle-aged).

05 Hooded figure.

05 Lights (various types).

04 Woman, age unknown or unspecified.

03 Girl, little.

02 Angel.

02 'Blood.'

02 "Buzzing" noise

02 Hand (only).

02 Insect, giant.

02 Male, handsome (incubus)

02 'Squiggly' thing. (This includes one case related to me personally 35
years ago, before I'd heard about OH as a discrete phenomenon.)

The 'buzzing' noise is the only OH experience I've ever personally endured (not included in the above figures), and I never considered it OH-related until compiling these figures. I've always associated that horrible sound with EXTREME evil. (But I don't recall my experiences along this line being accompanied by Sleep Paralysis.)

Single-experience accounts will follow later. [EDIT - I never did compile those single-experience cases - sorry.]

Re: Old Hag Statistics

Thanks for the efforts :yeay:

OldTimeRadio said:
The 'buzzing' noise is the only OH experience I've ever personally endured (not included in the above figures), and I never considered it OH-related until compiling these figures. I've always associated that horrible sound with EXTREME evil. (But I don't recall my experiences along this line being accompanied by Sleep Paralysis.)

I think people get too hung up on the name sometimes - he whole arena are a number of related parasomnia and while paralysis is very common it needn't be a deal breaker if it didn't seem to happen.

My own experience involved an odd mix of paralysis, false awakening and my being able tog et out of bed convinced it was over before collpasing and waking up paralysed again.

Noises and the feeling of extreme evil are common too.

Re: Old Hag Statistics

Mighty_Emperor said:
"My own experience involved an odd mix of paralysis, false awakening and my being able to get out of bed convinced it was over before collapsing and waking up paralysed again."

I've also been been plagued by "false awakenings," for most of my life, in fact, as many as eight "awakenings" in a row.

And my "'buzzing' noise" experiences have invariably occurred WITHIN dreams - truly terrible nightmares I wouldn't wish on anybody else this side of Adolf Hitler. (The Christian Fortean researcher Mike Mott has suggested that in these nightmares I experienced nothing less than direct one-on-one meetings with Beelzebub.)

As a child and even as an adolescent I could not free myself from the feeling that there were monstrous THINGS clustered around my bed all through the dark watches of the night, although - thank God - this wasn't accompanied by any visual or tactile hallucinations. (I very occasionally have an experience of this even today - if I unwisely go to bed "too tired to sleep.")

In any case, I don't believe I have ever had a single case of "dream paralysis" in the "held down" sense - usually when a nightmare is over I'm out of bed as though I've been flung from a catapult. (My "false awakenings" don't accompany nightmares, per se, but come at the end of what might be better called "adventure movie"-type dreams.)

Does anyone else feel completely exhausted after these false awakenings? Eight in a row OTR?!! After only one or two, it seems that the experience robs me of any benefit sleep usually brings. I drag myself through the day after that like a zombie. I've never experienced a hag, but I dreamed I was awake, struggling to sleep when a giant invisible hand grabbed my torso and shook me from side to side just above my bed. Strong physical panic and a sensation of evil about that one.

skinny46 said:
Does anyone else feel completely exhausted after these false awakenings?

hell yeah, I'm always dog-tired the day after I've had an episode.

With the buzzing noise, I'd say every episode that I've had, I've known I've been about to go into one as the noise acts as a pre-cursor for me. I think it's been explained as blood pressure 'roaring' in your ears and as it's a constant, it's definitely something I've come to dread. I must admit, I've been really scared during the earlier experiences (now, it's just an annoyance) but luckily I've never felt a presence of 'evil'.

skinny46 said:
"Does anyone else feel completely exhausted after these false awakenings? Eight in a row OTR?!! After only one or two, it seems that the experience robs me of any benefit sleep usually brings. I drag myself through the day after that like a zombie."

Eight's the record, like sneezes - three to five is more normal. But while I regard False Awakenings as ANNOYING I don't find them exhausting at all. Maybe that's because I associate them with adventure dreams rather thann nightmares.

TheQuixote said:
"With the buzzing noise....I think it's been explained as blood pressure 'roaring' in your ears...."

When I was a kid I'd fairly regularly experience the sensation that my bed had suddenly fallen five feet. This came just as I was drifting off to sleep and would wake me up again, but only temporarily.

Physicians assure me that this was merely a quite normal blood pressure drop as my bodily functions slowed down in preparation for sleep. The core mass of the body actually does "fall" then - by about 1/100th of an inch or so.

TheQuixote said:
skinny46 said:
Does anyone else feel completely exhausted after these false awakenings?

hell yeah, I'm always dog-tired the day after I've had an episode.

I only had one SP attack but must have thought I'd woken at least a dozen times and I was completely knackered when I finally awoke but I pinned that down to the actual SP and not the false awakenings themselves.

I know someone who had a dream where they woke up went and opened their curtains and found a body hanging outside the window, woke up with a start, went to the window, opened the curtains and found a dead body hanging outside. The third time round they were less than enthusiastic about checking but they were actually awake (or still asleep).

OldTimeRadio said:
When I was a kid I'd fairly regularly experience the sensation that my bed had suddenly fallen five feet. This came just as I was drifting off to sleep and would wake me up again, but only temporarily.

Physicians assure me that this was merely a quite normal blood pressure drop as my bodily functions slowed down in preparation for sleep. The core mass of the body actually does "fall" then - by about 1/100th of an inch or so.

There is a good thread on falling/tripping as you fall asleep here:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13757

Incubus ?

Incubus
It was early 70's in Glasgow, Scotland.
Willie was then a agent for various pop groups and his wife has gone out
to one of her singing gigs along with their young daughter.
Willie was alone in his house for the first time since they'd moved in.
He had not been drinking, has never taken drugs neither was he on any
medication at that time.
At around 2-3am in the morning he went to visit the loo and then
obviously came back to bed. He was lying awake when he heard heavy
breathing beside him. He thought that it must be his own breathing but
when he held his breath the 'other breathing' continued. He then almost
immediately felt a huge heavy weight on his chest and really thought he
was going to die of suffocation. He said over and over in his mind
'God,help me','God,help me'
The pressure eased almost immediately even though this incantation was
silent. Willie said he rushed out of the bedroom and into the living
room where he said that he looked into a mirror and saw his
hair standing on end. He rushed out of the house and drove around
return until it was light.
When he recounted the story to his wife it frightened her enough for
them to put their double mattress in the living room for over 6
months before they could sell the house. However during that time
he said that his body sweated out a real stink for quite a few weeks
after this incident and he has never been able to explain any of it.
What to you think it could have been ? Even when he recalls it today
you can see the fear in him.
He has had other things happen to him so must be sensitive to
spirits. The house was a lovely home in a normal street nothing too
grand or expensive and not even that old. Strange eh !!!! We often
drive past the house and he really regrets having had to leave it -
there are people living there still so obviously they've not had
experiences themselves as far as we know.

Couple of tiny points, both hopelessly pedantic.

A.) It sounds Hypnogogic rather than supernatural, with the stink being a stress response.

B.) As Willie is male, that would probably be a succubus rather than an Incubus.

Sounds more like "Night Hag" syndrome than anything else !!

Emps, you agree?? I smell a merge !!!

Prof_Pretorius said:
Sounds more like "Night Hag" syndrome than anything else !!

Emps, you agree?? I smell a merge !!!

I'd already checked with the other mods and we'd come to the same conclusion

mowsekins - firstly, welcome to the FTMB!

As your post isn't an IHTM! experience in that it didn't happen to you and as it sounds more like a SP experience being described, your post has been merged with this thread. I would have to agree with Cygnus Rex and point out that it is generally said that females encounter incubi, succubus being the demon that males would be more likely to encounter.

You might find this link helpful.

Succubi?

Without wishing to get too clinical, would not a succubic (is there such a word? - There is now!) expereince have seemed pleasureable at the time?

That is to say erotic - these creatures having sexual congress with men to continue their line, with the obvious physical outcome to a sexually active and healthy male. After all, the motor won't run if you are terrified.

Only afterwards would the man feel drained of energy, and disturbed/scared of what happened in his sleep.

Rotting Old Witch Had Evil Eyes, Sharp Teeth & Talons

The following is an extract from a recent posting on Shadowlands.Com:

"My name is Diana....About 2 yrs ago, when my youngest son was between 6 & 7, he came screaming into our room one night. He shared a bedroom across the hall with his older brother who had spent the night elsewhere. They had bunk beds and my little man slept on the lower bunk that night since his brother was not home.

"What he described was an old lady that looked like a witch. He swears she woke him up by pulling his feet. He was very adament when telling us this and kept saying over and over again that he was wide awake while this happened, I believed him by the look in his eyes. Pure fear! The witch he described had evil eyes and rotten teeth and had sharp nails, he said her skin was rotten too....[H]e saw her fly up to the upper bunk, that's when she leaned over the end of the top bunk and hung upside down....reaching for him and laughing. That's when he came running into our room. He would not go into that room alone for a few months, let alone sleep in there if his brother was gone....[H]is belief in what he saw was very convincing. He was and still is very adamant that this really happened."

Maybe "just a dream," but not one I'd wish on ANY six or seven year old.

P. S. The usual caveats as to anonymous and semi-anonymous paranormal web postings apply, of course, but I see no really good not to accept this one as a mother's genuine report of her child's claimed experience.

Two interesting accounts:

Molested by a spirit

By Jaime Licauco
Inquirer
Last updated 09:49pm (Mla time) 12/18/2006

Published on Page C2 of the December 19, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

MABEL (not her real name), a woman in her 20s, has been sexually molested by an unseen spirit for a couple of years now. It started when she was in fourth-year high school.

She recalled the first time it happened. “It was Sunday, around 10 or 11 a.m. I was sleeping in my room when, all of a sudden, something heavy was on top of me. I could not talk, move my body or open my eyes. I could feel his whole body on top of me and I heard him whisper in my ear, ‘Mahal kita.’ I could feel his breath on my face!

“After a few seconds, I rushed to my mom and told her what happened. She called my aunt who did a ritual called tawas. Afterward, my aunt called and told my mom that someone was performing an orasyon on me.

“The second time it happened was Dec. 25 last year. We (had) just finished eating Noche Buena and everyone decided to take a rest. My sister’s cell phone started to ring at around 5:30 a.m. Then I felt someone was watching me.

“In fact, I sensed that one of them ran to stop my sister’s phone from ringing. I really felt their presence. One was beside my bed, the other was standing in front of me and the third was on top of me.

“I got really scared! I grabbed my blanket to cover my body and closed my eyes. Afterward, I went to my parents’ room crying but they were asleep. I went back to my bed and slept with the blanket covering my whole body. I was scared stiff!

“Later I told one of our maids what happened to me. She asked if I wanted her to talk to her father about this. We called her father and after telling him the story, he said, ‘Gusto ka nilang kunin.’ I was shocked! This time it was no longer a living person performing an orasyon on me but something else.

“Last week, at around 1:30 a.m., I couldn’t sleep. I could again feel someone watching me. When I was finally drifting off to sleep, I felt someone on top of me. I couldn’t move my body nor scream. This happened three or four times. And it only happened when I was sleeping or about to go to sleep.

“I’ve only related here the important things, but I’ve experienced a lot more. I really need help!”

Details needed

Yes, you need immediate help. Please call my office at 8926806 or 8107245; or 0906-3561799. There are several details I want to get from you so I can figure out the best strategy to handle your case.

There are earthbound spirits who took a liking for you and several are sexually molesting you, not just one! Such an entity is called an incubus (plural is incubi). They are malevolent and sexually starved spirits preying usually on innocent young maidens like you.

During the Medieval Era, there were many reported cases of incubi molestations of women. Even Catholic nuns living in convents were victimized by these creatures. Exorcisms had to be performed on them.

Ordinary blessings by priests will not get rid of incubi. You will need somebody trained for this purpose. There are exorcist priests. These are those with the power and authority to fight these evil spirits.

Lay people who are clairvoyant and who have undergone training in spiritual battles can also help victims of sexual molestations by spirits.

Demonic

It is not true that somebody alive was performing an orasyon on you. An incubus is not a living person. It is a demonic spirit.

Although it is no guarantee, you should avoid sleeping alone and always have the lights on when you sleep.

You should also wear a protective object in your body, like the St. Benedict’s medal that’s been empowered or blessed in the proper ritual by a Benedictine priest authorized to do so. Otherwise, it has no power to protect you from demonic possession or molestation.

Another thing you can do pending exorcism of these demons is to learn more about the spirit world so you can protect yourself from negative spirits. For starters, read my books or attend my seminars so you will learn how to deal with your psychic gifts.

You are a sensitive and open channel. That’s why such earthbound spirits can affect you. They do this while you are asleep or about to sleep because that’s the time when your brain waves go down to the Theta and Delta levels where they can reach you.

At the Beta level or the waking state of your brain, spirits cannot touch you because you are on a different wave length. That’s why the first line of defense when you sense the presence of spirits is to jump up and down, or clap your hands loudly so that your lower brain waves will return to the faster frequency of the Beta rhythm. This usually works.

http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/lif ... e_id=39001

Nocturnal visit leaves me shaken

By Peter Duffy

THE INCIDENT was so terrifying, it haunts me still.

Even now, three weeks later, the memory of that dream makes me go cold.

If it really was a dream. . .

It was a Friday night and I’d been late getting to bed.

I’d been at a downtown Halifax hotel, guest speaker at a banquet for the provincial branch of the War Amps.

It had been a very pleasant affair but one that ended on a stressful note. Halfway through my speech an elderly woman collapsed at one of the tables.

I saw the whole thing and, quite frankly, I thought she’d died, right before my eyes.

Thankfully, she hadn’t; she’d only fainted. But even so, I was extremely shocked.

When I got home, I poured myself a finger of Scotch and sat reflecting on the evening.

Then I went to bed. It was midnight, late for me.

And that’s when it happened.

I became aware of a strange presence in the bedroom, something emitting waves of malevolence.

And then I saw it; something was rearing over me.

I don’t know how, or why, but instinctively, I knew it was a demon of some kind.

I recoiled in horror, trying to make myself small, unable to tear my eyes away.

There was no face. The thing had a human form but it was swathed in a black cowl-like covering, like some kind of monk.

And then it was on top of me, soundless and unstoppable, smothering me, assaulting me.

There’s no delicate way to put this; I was vividly aware of this creature violating me.

I yelled, but nothing came from my lips. My struggles were in slow motion. I was helpless.

And then, as suddenly as it appeared, the creature was gone.

I lay there in shocked disbelief. What the hell just happened?

Was it a nightmare — or was it something worse?

Was it real? Could I actually have been possessed that terrible night?

That’s what I’m trying to discover.

My first call is to Evelyn Hare, the well-known Eastern Passage psychic-astrologer.

It may have been a self-induced warning, she says. I may have been aware subconsciously that I was about to revert to ways unhealthy for me.

"Your imagination or your intuition is thinking something isn’t right in the way you’re thinking. Your subconscious is trying to shake you up, put you back to the right mood."

I wrack my brains. Am I starting down some path that will eventually prove bad for me?

"I don’t think anything is going to hurt you," Evelyn soothes. "Maybe you were too tired."

Whatever it was, she concludes, don’t be afraid.

But I am.

My quest for information leads me next to Arthur McCalla, a professor of philosophy and religious studies at Mount Saint Vincent University.

I want to ask him about two particular demons, the succubus and incubus. Over the centuries, these evil spirits have gained a reputation for sexually attacking sleeping humans. Is it possible I was visited by one or the other that awful night?

Arthur tells me these two aren’t confined just to Christianity. It seems they’re well-known in various cultures and have different meanings in each.

In terms of Christianity, however, he says they were tempters of early holy men known as "desert fathers," hermits who spent long periods in the wilderness, praying for the early Christian community. To sway these solitary monks from their devotions, these demons appeared in different guises, including that of beautiful women.

"But why would they come after me?" I puzzle.

Arthur suggests part of the answer could be what’s known as a displacement of anxieties.

"In psychiatry, there’s a recognized disorder called ‘the incubus syndrome.’ "

He says the succubus and incubus, in their non-Christian aspect, can have a couple of meanings.

One involves a strong sexual content, an erotic dream. Another is that such a dream represents a weight, either on top of the sleeper or under him. In a nutshell, it’s about stress.

"Stress, as a general term, is a weight, pressing down," he says.

"But the thing that came visiting me was so real!" I interrupt.

Arthur nods. "Something real is being expressed in an unreal symbol."

What you need to do, he tells me, is focus on the meaning behind the experience.

"Don’t obsess about the symbol," he urges. "Ask what the symbol is pointing to."

I shake my head, still not convinced what happened to me was actually a dream.

"How did this ‘thing’ even find me?" I whisper.

Saturday: Still shaken, Duffy talks with a priest.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Opinion/545626.html

Peter Duffy's experience reminds me of the story attributed to the famous FBI profiler Robert Ressler. He was attacked in his hotel room by an invisible something within seconds of the execution of serial murderer John Wayne "Pogo the Clown" Gacy, whom Ressler had interviewed many times on Death Row.

I went back to my bed and slept with the blanket covering my whole body.

Some of us take the precaution of doing that anyway. <g>

One of the very first paranormal accounts I ever read concerned the reported possession of a teenage girl named Clarita Villaneuva in (if memory serves) 1951. This also took place in the Philippine Islands.

"Teeth marks" were observed on Clarita's upper back and at the time I found this convincing. But that was before I learned that exceptionally limber and nubile teenage girls can make such marks with their fingernails.

Emps, thanks much for the link. I thought I knew all the Web true ghost story archives but this one got by me.

< courtly bow and a pinch of incense onto the brazier. >

;)

-----------
On the frequency of SP:

Posted on Tue, Jan. 16, 2007

Sleep paralysis happens all the time

By KARLA WARD
McClatchy Newspapers

FORT WORTH, Texas - Imagine waking up in the night and being unable to move.

So you lie there for what seems like hours, trying to wiggle your fingers or toes, but you are paralyzed.

You want to call out for help, but you can't draw a deep enough breath to make a loud sound.

Eventually, you're able to move a little, and then your whole body begins to respond again.

Scary, huh?

Weird, too.

But it happens to people all the time.

It's called sleep paralysis, and it typically occurs at the very beginning or end of sleep. The experience lasts only a few minutes at the most, and there's no harm done -- aside from the fright.

"It's terrifying the first time it happens," said Dr. Barbara Phillips, director of the Samaritan Sleep Center and chairwoman of the board of the National Sleep Foundation.

Phillips said in an e-mail interview that sleep paralysis happens as the body is coming out of REM -- or rapid-eye-movement -- sleep.

"During non-REM sleep, our brains are 'turned off' but our bodies can be active," she said. This is when people experience sleep disturbances such as tooth-grinding or sleepwalking.

"In contrast, our brains are very active (probably as active as when we are awake) during REM sleep, but we are actually paralyzed," she said. Researchers think that's what keeps us from acting out our dreams.

"With sleep paralysis, the paralysis that is normal during REM sleep intrudes into the waking state for one reason or another," she said.

Kathryn Hansen, director of the St. Joseph Hospital Sleep Wellness Center, put it this way: "The brain wakes up before the body wakes up."

Sometimes, sleep paralysis is accompanied by hypnagogic hallucinations, or "waking dreams," Phillips said.

In many such cases, people think they see a dark or menacing figure in the room with them, or they hear a strange sound but can't pinpoint the source. Some researchers have hypothesized that people who report alien abductions are experiencing sleep paralysis in conjunction with such a hallucination.

The experience of sleep paralysis combined with a hallucination "can be very intense," said Dr. Kevin Nelson, a University of Kentucky neurologist who has studied the correlation between sleep paralysis and near-death experiences. "They may feel like there's a pressure on their chest, that they can't breathe. They may feel like they're dying."

Nelson said episodes of sleep paralysis are "a very common thing," but it's difficult to pinpoint exactly how common.

"The striking thing is, people don't talk about them," he said.

In some cultures, there are myths to explain the experience, or words used to describe it. In those places, Nelson said, it is more frequently reported.

The Japanese have a linguistic term, kanashibari, for the experience; in Newfoundland, it is described as a visit from "the old hag."

"In some cultures it's very well recognized," he said.

Phillips said as many as 25 percent of people might be affected by sleep paralysis at some point in their lives, and investigators at Stanford University have suggested that as many as half of college students experience it.

Nelson and other medical professionals who deal with sleep disorders said they sometimes see patients who are disturbed by the paralysis but have not talked to anyone about it because it seems so strange.

"They're not alone," Nelson said. "They're not weird because they have it."

People are more likely to experience sleep paralysis, the experts said, if they are undergoing sleep deprivation, work odd shifts or have erratic sleep schedules. Hansen said it also can come with stress or anxiety.

People who are in withdrawal from alcohol or drugs that can suppress REM sleep, such as antidepressants, also can be predisposed to the experience. For example, Phillips said, a person who misses a dose of antidepressant medication might be at risk.

"It really just kind of correlates to lifestyles," she said.

The "classic example is the college kid who parties hard during spring break, and wakes up on the beach unable to move," Phillips said. That person has deprived himself or herself of sleep, gotten onto an odd sleep schedule and drunk to much -- all three of the risk factors.

Sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations are generally harmless, but the sleep experts said they can sometimes be associated with narcolepsy.

In most cases, though, Hansen said they are a sign that the person needs "to develop some good sleep habits," such as decreasing caffeine intake before bedtime, getting regular exercise and going to bed and rising at the same time each day.

"If sleep paralysis and extreme daytime sleepiness persist even with adequate, appropriate sleep, it's time to see a doctor," Phillips said.

Hansen said that once, when she knew she hadn't gotten enough rest, there was a moment when she couldn't move or speak as she was waking up from a dream.

Sleep paralysis wasn't frightening to her, though.

"I laughed," she said. "Now I know how to describe it."

------
(c) 2007, Lexington Herald-Leader (Lexington, Ky.).

Source

Back