• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sleeping Arrangements

I like lying on my back, but if I sleep on my back I snore like a pneumatic drill attempting to open a safe.
There was a popular tip to prevent (mainly husbands) snoring by sewing a marble into the tail of their pyjama top so they wouldn't settle on their back. I find lying on my back post-alarm very comfortable but cannot fall asleep like that - I instinctively cross my ankles. As a teenager I read a book on voluntary Astral projection where that was treated as a complete no-no.

According to people who study sleep, sleeping fetal position one is looking for safety and protection.

Back sleeping means you are not afraid.

Side sleeping means one is open to ideas.

Stomach sleeping means one is careful about personal relationships.

Personally I don’t believe any of this.

One should be comfortable and do what they want.

According to people who study sleep, sleeping fetal position one is looking for safety and protection.

Back sleeping means you are not afraid.

Side sleeping means one is open to ideas.

Stomach sleeping means one is careful about personal relationships.

Personally I don’t believe any of this.

One should be comfortable and do what they want.
Yep, I also think this is rubbish. Foetal position can just mean that the room is cold and you are cuddled up to the duvet for warmth. Side sleeping can mean that the mattress dips and that's the only way you can lie. Back sleeping can mean that you have a bad back and are only comfortable when stretched out.

Why sleeping on your stomach makes it much more likely you'll have erotic dreams

"The researchers said that the increase in sexy thoughts could be because when you are on your front you do not get so much air, so your mind was imagining being constricted when you sleep" So basically the Mail is equating sensations relating to sex with ‘being tied up’, ‘being locked up’ and ‘unable to move’
I have so much to learn.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2186119/Sleeping-stomach-gives-erotic-dreams.html

Why sleeping on your stomach makes it much more likely you'll have erotic dreams

"The researchers said that the increase in sexy thoughts could be because when you are on your front you do not get so much air, so your mind was imagining being constricted when you sleep" So basically the Mail is equating sensations relating to sex with ‘being tied up’, ‘being locked up’ and ‘unable to move’
I have so much to learn.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2186119/Sleeping-stomach-gives-erotic-dreams.html
I don't understand how people can sleep on their stomachs! The In House GP does it sometimes, but I just feel that I can't breathe if I try...

I don't understand how people can sleep on their stomachs! The In House GP does it sometimes, but I just feel that I can't breathe if I try...
Mrs Coal does, although it's linked to the 'least painful way to lie so she can sleep' thing (hips, back etc...)

My belly is too big now, but I've never been able to do this (apart from when I was a baby).
This is how I imagine you sleep now Myth;

Attachments

• baby.jpg
    baby.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 14
I highly recommend a giant bed!

We have a 6-footer, very firm mattress, separate single duvets and about 1750 pillows (OK, 6). Plus the cat (of course).

I keep strange hours due to my diurnal rhythm being longer than 24 hours. Can I have a 28 hour day please, God? many thanks.

Mr J can sleep within 5 minutes, get 5-6 hours and be up with the larks, the bugger. I sleep in a combo of front+side more or less like the recovery position - having learned this is the best way to deal with the spinal/leg disability I live with

Last edited:
When my husband was alive, we had a double bed. This is the largest size that we can fit up the stairs.

He ended up using oxygen in his last few years and the machine was awful for noise that I wore earplugs. I also ended up lying to the opposite end from him. I never sleep well, and he would complain whenever I turned or got up. At least opposite ends, I had more space to stretch my arms.

Several years ago, I needed a new mattress. I bought a twin since I could get the double downstairs on my own, but not get one up.

I still toss and turn. I sleep on all four sides in a single night. Often it is due to sore shoulders, back, hips etc. I always move.

Last edited:
I would give worlds to go back to lying next to my late wife listening to her snoring.

Snore on, Ms @catseye
:group: That must be hard.

The late newspaper columnist and agony aunt Marjorie Proops spoke about this.
A woman once asked desperately for advice on dealing with her husband's snoring, then a few years later wrote back to say her husband had now died, She expressed how much she wished she could hear it again. :(

Me and the Mrs sleep in separate bedrooms. We have different work shifts, different sleep patterns, one of us might snore and keep the other one awake sometimes, one of us might need to go for a pee and wake the other one up, she likes to fall asleep with the TV on and I can't, I steal the duvet when I'm asleep apparently and sometimes talk in my sleep (She was laughing about it but one night I said "The Polish police are coming to pinch me!" ...

So we sleep in separate rooms for all those reasons, no relationship breakdown reasons, we just don't want to mess up each others sleep .... and I don't like those hot summer nights when you'd both wake up glued to each other ..
All I can think of is this -

smegadrive-1098518-2.jpg

...I find lying on my back post-alarm very comfortable but cannot fall asleep like that - I instinctively cross my ankles...

I'm the same. Lying on my back for a few minutes, with my hands flat on my stomach, is a natural power up mode for me in the mornings - but I cannot actually sleep on my back.

In reference to irritating sleep habits - I'm a terrible foot waggler. Or I was - I actually trained myself out of it, because it's clearly irritating for anyone else who might be around. When I'm on my own I just let rip - hell, yes.

I'm not sure how common this is. It's not something I do in my sleep, but something that happens while I'm relaxing into it. Must be some sort of neurological thing I think - it genuinely helps me relax. (Only one foot, by the way - two would be insane.)

One thing I've noticed about snoring is how many people think it only happens to the other person in the bed. I've had to voice record several exes to prove that they did it too. No sex-tapes on my phone - just a collection of generally higher-pitched, sometimes quite cute, pigletty droning; utterly useless for blackmail purposes, but good for scaring pigeons.

I'm single these days - go figure.

I'm the same. Lying on my back for a few minutes, with my hands flat on my stomach, is a natural power up mode for me in the mornings - but I cannot actually sleep on my back.

In reference to irritating sleep habits - I'm a terrible foot waggler. Or I was - I actually trained myself out of it, because it's clearly irritating for anyone else who might be around. When I'm on my own I just let rip - hell, yes.

I'm not sure how common this is. It's not something I do in my sleep, but something that happens while I'm relaxing into it. Must be some sort of neurological thing I think - it genuinely helps me relax. (Only one foot, by the way - two would be insane.)

One thing I've noticed about snoring is how many people think it only happens to the other person in the bed. I've had to voice record several exes to prove that they did it too. No sex-tapes on my phone - just a collection of generally higher-pitched, sometimes quite cute, pigletty droning; utterly useless for blackmail purposes, but good for scaring pigeons.

I'm single these days - go figure.
The foot-waggling is actually a good way to maintain proper circulation. Maybe your subconscious is simply making you do beneficial exercises?

As was once announced on national radio, Techy and I sleep in separate rooms.
It was all the snoring and farting. Poor man couldn't stand it any more.More
More along these lines....?

giphy-100.gif

Back