• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sleeping Arrangements

I didnt say I was up for an orgy.

Not without plenty of food first.
Ask, and you shall receive ....

feast2.jpg

Me and the Mrs sleep in separate bedrooms. We have different work shifts, different sleep patterns, one of us might snore and keep the other one awake sometimes, one of us might need to go for a pee and wake the other one up, she likes to fall asleep with the TV on and I can't, I steal the duvet when I'm asleep apparently and sometimes talk in my sleep (She was laughing about it but one night I said "The Polish police are coming to pinch me!" ...

So we sleep in separate rooms for all those reasons, no relationship breakdown reasons, we just don't want to mess up each others sleep .... and I don't like those hot summer nights when you'd both wake up glued to each other ..
I read an article a while back about couples who are happily married or are living together who don't sleep in the same bed and it's more common the older couples get. It was from one of those internet surveys where participants get points for shopping vouchers for completing the survey. From memory and I could be wrong, I think the main figure overall was 1 in 18. Snoring and shift work were citied as the main reasons. When asked about nookie time, most said it didn't make any difference as they went back to their own bed afterwards.

For myself, I don't think I could now willingly sleep in the same bed as anyone else. I've got a double mattress on the floor (I can't be bothered to shop for a bed frame) and I enjoy the space to stretch out in any direction I want.

I think it came as a shock to a lot of people when Michael Fagan broke into the Queen's bedroom in 1982 that Philip wasn't there with a Purdey. The idea of separate sleeping accommodations for husband/wife in them days seemed largely confined to the Upper classes (who had big houses).

I think it came as a shock to a lot of people when Michael Fagan broke into the Queen's bedroom in 1982 that Philip wasn't there with a Purdey. The idea of separate sleeping accommodations for husband/wife in them days seemed largely confined to the Upper classes (who had big houses).
I think that husbands and wives sleeping together only really started in earnest when the industrial revolution did. For the working classes anyway.

Me and the Mrs sleep in separate bedrooms. We have different work shifts, different sleep patterns, one of us might snore and keep the other one awake sometimes, one of us might need to go for a pee and wake the other one up, she likes to fall asleep with the TV on and I can't, I steal the duvet when I'm asleep apparently and sometimes talk in my sleep (She was laughing about it but one night I said "The Polish police are coming to pinch me!" ...

So we sleep in separate rooms for all those reasons, no relationship breakdown reasons, we just don't want to mess up each others sleep .... and I don't like those hot summer nights when you'd both wake up glued to each other ..
swift- my partner and I addressed similar problem many years ago when we had 2 small infants and 1 shift worker, we opted for a king sized bed with two large duvets of different weights. Now having had to live together closely during lockdown its become apparent that my early rising and their late nights can really benefit from the extra large bed and flexible insulation. Domestic harmony more or less although its not unknown for one of us to sleep on the sofa.

I didn't feel you were being disrespectful to women, as you say it works both ways. Living on my own I do feel lonely at times but then I think of all the advantages so I know where you are coming from. At 72 I think it's highly unlikely that I'll meet a new partner but if I did I'd insist that we lived in seperate homes!
That's the funniest and truest thing I've read here!

Adults sleep better together than they do alone​

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/06/220606181217.htm

Adults who share a bed with a partner or spouse sleep better than those who sleep alone, according to a new study from researchers at the University of Arizona.

Results show that those who shared a bed with a partner most nights reported less severe insomnia, less fatigue, and more time asleep than those who said they never share a bed with a partner. Those sleeping with a partner also fell asleep faster, stayed asleep longer after falling asleep, and had less risk of sleep apnea. However, those who slept with their child most nights reported greater insomnia severity, greater sleep apnea risk, and less control over their sleep.

I can't even sleep with the dog! She's only allowed in in the early hours of the morning when I've done most of my sleeping and don't mind scratchy little claws twitching at me. But my last relationship was awful because of sleeping - he slept like a robot, literally lay down and switched off. Lay like a corpse all night, whilst snoring. Then got up nine hours later saying 'I didn't sleep a wink, tossed and turned all night.' It was like sleeping with a machine which had been programmed to say certain sentences regardless of their accuracy.

Never again. I can just about sleep with my daughters, if I absolutely have to.

I can't even sleep with the dog! She's only allowed in in the early hours of the morning when I've done most of my sleeping and don't mind scratchy little claws twitching at me. But my last relationship was awful because of sleeping - he slept like a robot, literally lay down and switched off. Lay like a corpse all night, whilst snoring. Then got up nine hours later saying 'I didn't sleep a wink, tossed and turned all night.' It was like sleeping with a machine which had been programmed to say certain sentences regardless of their accuracy.
LOL - sounds like Mr. R, talking all kinds of nonsense in his sleep while honking away, swearing that he had 'a dreadful night' and wanting to know how I fall asleep the second I hit the bed!

I find that very hard to believe! What with the snoring, hogging the bed covers/pillows, resentments because the other is sleeping, wanting to read one more chapter with the light on and what not! Nah I'm just not buying it there must be a flaw in the methodology to come up with that result! :)
My all-time favorite is Mr. R just having to see the end of some show or the ball game at an ear-splitting volume, while I toss and turn, and I look over and he's snoring happily.........LOL

When the Mrs. and I first married we had a standard double in our thin days.

In middle age we had a queen size bed.

In our old, fat age we have a king size bed.

You have to have a big enough bed.

I wear a CPAP so that is another world all together.

My wife calls me “ Darth Vader “.

I just need the “ force.”.

You have to have a big enough bed.
And a big enough room to put it in! On this side of the pond that's a rarity especially in new builds. It's amazing what some estate agents (what you call realtors I believe) think a double bed room is! Well there is usually a room described as a double that you can fit a double bed in... just! A queen or a king? No chance!

I noticed on BBC America, As Time Goes By, the rooms are small, the doorways short, the ceilings are low, the one only small bathroom is always up a flight of stairs, and the kitchen is more like a large closet.

Actually, the same thing is happening in the U.S.

No land in the big cities, so builders make small apartments and build up instead.

I noticed on BBC America, As Time Goes By, the rooms are small, the doorways short, the ceilings are low, the one only small bathroom is always up a flight of stairs, and the kitchen is more like a large closet.

Actually, the same thing is happening in the U.S.

No land in the big cities, so builders make small apartments and build up instead.
Yep, Brits live in tiny houses. Once the population is over 100 million, most of us will be living in capsule hotels like they have in Japan.

And a big enough room to put it in! On this side of the pond that's a rarity especially in new builds. It's amazing what some estate agents (what you call realtors I believe) think a double bed room is! Well there is usually a room described as a double that you can fit a double bed in... just! A queen or a king? No chance!
When I first moved into my tiny little cottage, I had a king sized bed. Unfortunately it only fitted into the bedroom in one configuration, and its high footer and header meant that I could only get out of bed in one, very small, bit of floor. The bed was rammed in against the wall and the chest of drawers (note spelling) meant that any movement in the room - including actually making the bed - was very restricted. And, as I need to go downstairs to the bathroom, middle of the night emergencies had to be planned for.

So I bought a double bed, which I can get out of both sides (and off the bottom, if necessary). It's big enough for me!

But my last relationship was awful because of sleeping - he slept like a robot, literally lay down and switched off. Lay like a corpse all night, whilst snoring. Then got up nine hours later saying 'I didn't sleep a wink, tossed and turned all night.' It was like sleeping with a machine ....
How long were you and Trev maried for?

When I first moved into my tiny little cottage, I had a king sized bed. Unfortunately it only fitted into the bedroom in one configuration, and its high footer and header meant that I could only get out of bed in one, very small, bit of floor. The bed was rammed in against the wall and the chest of drawers (note spelling) meant that any movement in the room - including actually making the bed - was very restricted. And, as I need to go downstairs to the bathroom, middle of the night emergencies had to be planned for.

So I bought a double bed, which I can get out of both sides (and off the bottom, if necessary). It's big enough for me!
As a child my bed was against a wall, then I went years with a double bed not against a wall. Having gone back to having a wall (it has to be on my right as I lie on my back) it is a pain to make, but I don't think I'd sleep very well if I didn't have the wall there (not that I sleep very well anyway).

As a child my bed was against a wall, then I went years with a double bed not against a wall. Having gone back to having a wall (it has to be on my right as I lie on my back) it is a pain to make, but I don't think I'd sleep very well if I didn't have the wall there (not that I sleep very well anyway).
My problem with the bed against the wall was mostly that, because the room is so tiny, one wall holds the wall mounted radiator, and the other wall has all the sockets. So I'd either be unable to turn on any heating or unable to use the two sockets in the room without having an extension cable running under the bed (which is what I did, to start with). But the double bed makes a bit more usable space, so I can now have a bedside table (currently groaning under the weight of my unread books).

I sleep on my back as well, it's the only comfortable position! The whole body can relax, along with the spine, without getting the shoulders all crunched up, I don't know anyone else who sleeps in the back position!

I sleep on my back as well, it's the only comfortable position! The whole body can relax, along with the spine, without getting the shoulders all crunched up, I don't know anyone else who sleeps in the back position!
I only mentioned that to describe which side the wall has to be on. I mainly sleep on my left side.

I like lying on my back, but if I sleep on my back I snore like a pneumatic drill attempting to open a safe.

As I mentioned above I wear a CPAP at night and my wife calls me Darth Vader.

My wife is not crazy about this situation because the CPAP can leak air at times and lets out a terrible noise of air whooshing.

When this happens my wife flips over where her head is at the bottom of the bed to get away from me.

What my wife tolerates this situation, she is an angel !

I owe her.

Back