• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Slender Giant Seen & Filmed (Huasteca Region; Mexico; May 2020)

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
I'm not sure this is the correct thread for this particular story but I didn't want to create a new thread for something that's probably a likely fraud:

Mysterious 'Giant' Spotted in Mexico
giant.jpg

Residents of a community in Mexico are on edge following the sighting of a mysterious 'giant' that some suspect could have been either a Bigfoot or an alien. The eerie incident reportedly took place last week on a communal piece of farmland near the city of Ciudad Valles. A witness to the weirdness, identified only as 'Mrs. Antonia,' said that the sighting took place at around 5:30 in the afternoon as she and her husband were playing with their child.
https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/mysterious-giant-spotted-in-mexico/

(1) It screams "fake" to me because nowadays it takes a lot of intentional effort to produce a photo that crappy.

(2) Coast to Coast is not the original source for this story. It was posted 3 days ago (24 May) at Inexplicata:

Bigfoot: Fear Grips San Luis Potosí's Huasteca Region (Mexico) Over Alleged Sighting in the Tenek Indigenous Lands
http://inexplicata.blogspot.com/2020/05/bigfoot-fear-grips-san-luis-potosis.html

... where in turn it was attributed to this source and 21 May:

Source: Claudio Mora - La Esfera Azul (Mexico) and El Sol de San Luis
Date: Thursday, 21 May 2020
An article by Jose Luis Martinez - El Sol de San Luis

(3) I note Las Pozas (Edward James' surrealistic sculpture garden) is located in that same area.

Why are Fortean type photos so poor, just once could we have a good quality photograph, the quality always leaves them open to interpretation

Why are Fortean type photos so poor, just once could we have a good quality photograph, the quality always leaves them open to interpretation

All too often the relationship isn't:

Observation of actual strangeness ----> Poor quality photo of whatever was observed

... but rather ...

Fuzzy photo + pareidolia ----> Alleged observation of something strange one might read into the murky image

The only way to get credit for a bad photo (e.g., at your favorite social mediocrity site) is to spin it as something noteworthy.

It's getting harder and harder to tell whether something's (a) poor evidence for something "real" versus (b) something "faked" by insinuating a particular interpretation of ambiguous evidence.

Consider the increasing frequency with which folks offer anomalous photos in which they claim to have never noticed any anomaly until they reviewed photos they'd taken. This makes a very convenient excuse for evading any responsibility for describing the actual observation scenario and hence giving it any more credibility than what the photo portrays.

This is not to say that all photos are fakes. All I'm saying is that all the 'noise' from an increasing traffic in fakes, pranks, and merely wishful interpretations leaves us all challenged to identify instances of the truly weird.

I think the question we are all asking is: how does this giant maintain his or her svelte frame?

With those long arms I reckon it's a cousin of the Ilkley Moor alien.

I am sure I saw this pic a long time ago. Maybe just deja vu?

(1) It screams "fake" to me because nowadays it takes a lot of intentional effort to produce a photo that crappy
I'm not sure about that. I've got a digital SLR camera and a faraway object may look similar to this when digitally zoomed. Same for my phone camera

Here are some examples from recent photos I've taken:
Screenshot_20200727-134723_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200727-134825_Gallery.jpg

A series of crappy shots would be more impressive than one crappy shot. With the giant walking along and waving or something. With a digital camera you can't pretend you ran out of film.

A series of crappy shots would be more impressive than one crappy shot. With the giant walking along and waving or something. With a digital camera you can't pretend you ran out of film.
You can run out of memory. If you have young kids it's easy to run out of space on the phone because you are constantly taking pictures and videos of them doing cute stuff. I've done it personally.

I know. It'd be just super typical to happen when a giant slender man turns up as well :)

Or that convenient moment where my phone says "could not save media"... (a semi-regular occurrence with video for me, but of course would be a real bummer if I needed to record something transient!)

Back