• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
There was a documentary about this on Blaze last night, did anyone see it? It doesn't sound like the one mentioned earlier on in this thread and it definitely crossed invaded, then nuclear bombed the boundaries of taste with repeated showings of bloodstained clothing or close-ups of the perps faces accompanied by loud drum beats Eastenders style. But it was still interesting and there was footage of the two girls being interviewed by (impressively calm) police officers and interviews with psychiatrists and Geyser's mother. Geyser was apparently not treated at all for at least a couple of years but when she was finally given some medication, she did at least finally understand what she had done.

To be honest, if anyone held stuff against me that I did when I was 12*, I would probably still be under supervision.

*Nothing too dreadful, but I was very suggestible and easily led and it's probably more by accident than design that I didn't end up in trouble. Kids of that age, whilst criminally responsible, aren't exactly sensible and forward thinking.

To be honest, if anyone held stuff against me that I did when I was 12*, I would probably still be under supervision.

*Nothing too dreadful, but I was very suggestible and easily led and it's probably more by accident than design that I didn't end up in trouble. Kids of that age, whilst criminally responsible, aren't exactly sensible and forward thinking.
True but trying to stab a friend to death is pretty extreme.

I reckon that someone trying to kill a friend means that they are no longer friends.
I mean, why would anybody try to kill any of their friends? Beggars belief.
Geyser at least was definitely diagnosed with schizophrenia (I think Weier was too?) and responded to medication. I can't pretend to know what that is like but I know that it can be a symptom (if that is the right word) of that. So as hard as it is to understand, we have to bear in mind that they were both mentally ill and were not acting in the way that a "normal" 12 year old would. The unusual thing here is her age as it apparently does not normally manifest until late teens.

I reckon that someone trying to kill a friend means that they are no longer friends.
I mean, why would anybody try to kill any of their friends? Beggars belief.
I suspect that a weaker or more submissive person could be talked into practically anything by another person whom they held in esteem and wanted to impress.

Morgan Geyser hearing set for April 10-11 to consider the reports and possibly rule on the release request.

WAUKESHA, Wis. (AP) — A Wisconsin judge will hold a hearing in April to determine whether the second of two women who nearly stabbed their sixth-grade classmate to death in 2014 to please online horror character Slender Man should be released from a psychiatric hospital.

Morgan Geyser, 21, asked Waukesha County Circuit Judge Michael Bohren on Jan. 16 to grant her conditional release from the Winnebago Mental Health Institute. Geyser made a similar request for conditional release in 2022 but withdrew the petition two months after filing it.

Bohren held a brief hearing on the request Monday. He appointed three psychiatric experts — one on behalf of Geyser, one on behalf of prosecutors and the third as a court appointee — to examine her and produce reports on her current mental condition by March 1. He set a hearing for April 10-11 to consider the reports and possibly rule on the release request.

https://apnews.com/article/slender-man-attack-morgan-geyser-fa02bfaa721cd155f3a1f72a8a6f879f

I confess that I find conflict between my two instincts here:

1) Twelve-year-olds who almost murdered their friend with knives to protect their families from a fictional character = mental damaged and dangerous: throw away the key.

2) Am I (or any adult) even the same person I was aged twelve in any meaningful sense--even without having had any psychiatric intervention? On a slightly more abstract day, I think not: humans tend to 'be' multiple 'people' across a lifetime of seventy or eighty years, so how long do we go on punishing them for that earlier life?

Back