• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Slipping Through Dimensions

HP, as something of a writer myself I'd take something of an offense if you were to use stuff I posted on this thread a source in a piece of fiction.

Niles "Random Writer" Calder

Don't worry guys -- it was never my plan to steal all your ideas! I was just asking if anybody had heard of any interesting examples of reality shifts -- personal, second hand, apocryphal, whatever. But now I think it may be easier just to make some up! Aleister6666: I won't tell them if you don't, so I think you'll be okay. It's actually very hard to copyright "ideas" anyway. Most ideas, consciously or not, aren't at all new and are variants on other ones...

HP, If I had ever experienced a reality shift (that I knew wasn't the product of prescription drugs) then I'd have no problem at all with you using it. But then I'm not a "writer".

Until today I would have sworn blind that my mum's birthday was August 4th. It's not. It's August 3rd - i.e. today.

Gulp

She thinks I've forgotten, but really I haven't! I can't give her her prezzie now though (or even say anything) so should I just wait until tomorrow and hope that reality shifts backs to something resembling normality, or should I just start digging my hole now?

Jane.

Can't you organise a quick surprise party? Then you can pretend you were pretending to forget.
:confused:
Would she like a Basil Brush pencil case? I have one, hardly used.

Nice idea beak, but it's just not "me" and Mum would know it. She's weeding now - I feel quite sorry for the weeds.

Basil brush pencil case = solar powered torch? Good swap?

Jane.

mejane said:
Until today I would have sworn blind that my mum's birthday was August 4th. It's not. It's August 3rd - i.e. today.

Jane.

You say, tomorrow (or August 4th, whichever is sooner)....
Mum I wanted to give you your present on your birthday, but I thought I'd wait until after I took you out for lunch at Ghandi's Madras Eat-All-You-Can-for-£5 Curry Bazzar. I love you.

Martin '3 words can save your bacon' Lutzy

And the three words are

I love you

or

Don't shoot, please

or

Chilli sauce salad

...depending on the situation.

I take great pride in never having got the three words wrong in 42 years!

Sorry, I lie

I did get the words wrong once, thats when I got shot in the head.

But what do women expect, asking you 'Where the relationship stands?' when you're in a kebab shop!

Apart from that, a clean record.

**Here's the text of a post I was going to make before I saw yours:**

Hi,

For a while now, I've noticed things. Things like the cat in the Matrix for lack of better analogy.

Things like a building appearing on a well traveled route, where you know there wasn't one before. And everyone seems to remember it always being there but you. Houses changing color. I'm not talking painted or sided, just being a different color, and everyone seems to remember it always being blue instead of red. Or maybe the road you travel every day suddenly seems different enough that it totally disorients you. The layout of a store or building changes, and nobody else remembers that it used to be different.

These things have happened to myself and a few of my friends, and I just recently found out, my father as well. In most of these instances, I have been fortunate enough to have at least one of these friends who remembers things the way I do, even if no one else does. Because of this, I know I'm not nuts.

I used to have disturbing dream sequences that I can only describe as fully real, just like this life you're living right now. I would seem to wake from sleep, go about my life, and slowly realize things were off. Things were out of kilter. I would start to feel groggy, get a headache, maybe black out, then I would wake up again. Sometimes this happened over and over again, each more normal than the last. One time, I though I woke up a dozen times, and the last time, it took a good while to find some small thing out of whack that caused me to do it all over again. I must have walked around for a half hour before I was convinced things weren't going to change again. It had really started to wear on my sanity.

Another time, I woke up to the smell of my mother cooking bacon, and I had two sets of memories. One from my normal life, and one from another. I remembered having a brother as a I really do, but also being an only child. I had a live in girlfriend, and I knew her name, but I had never seen her before. The house was different in various ways, and what should have been my brother's room was used for storage. As this reality went on, I developed the cold sweats and a migraine that got steadily worse. I was fighting a black out, and both my girlfriend and parents rushed towards me with worry. I fell against the wall, and slowly blacked out, and when I woke up, the house looked normal again. I wandered around suspicious of everything, checking to make sure my brother was still there, etc. The funny thing is, my dad once told me that he was dead set against having another child, and if my mother hadn't given him an ultimatum, I would have been their only son.

My friend James, who previously had his dream published as a story of the month last August at paranormal.about.com, had a similar experience. He had dual memories, and he stayed in it for much longer. In his dream, I was an only child as well.

Just a few nights ago, my brother spoke with my mother, and he said she told him an old friend of mine was in the hospital dying of liver failure. I called her right after and asked her why she didn't call and tell me. She said that a while back, another friend had told her he had gone to the hospital for what he thought might be heart problems, but as far as she knew he was out and ok. She also said she hadn't said anything about it one way or another to my brother, so he must have heard it from someone else. I assumed he made a mistake, and asked her to have my step-father, who is a nurse, see if my friend was admitted. She called back night before last and said he wasn't in there. I told my brother, and he was confused, and wondered if there was some way he might have heard it somewhere else, he didn't think he was crazy, but he still swore he remembered my mother telling him about it. I was just relieved that he didn't tell me he never said it, which after some of the stuff I seen, wouldn't have been an unusual response.

I would be interested in hearing of similar stories from others out there, and I'd like you to know that you are not alone. I know of at least 3 other people besides my father and my brother who have experienced this sort of thing as well.

Regards,

LurkerX

**No point in starting another thread, but maybe my experiences can help you out. It's not a complete list by any means.**

Well, I experienced another one, just day before yesterday.

I had purchased some slacks through a catalog, but when they arrived they proved to be way too big and also of a very unpleasant, streaky, grey color--like a tweed gone wrong.

I packed the slacks to send back to the company, but never got to the post office. Subsequently, I forgot about them.

A month later, I rediscovered the package, and realized that too much time had passed to get a refund. So, I took the slacks out--and, say what?--they are solid black, which was what I ordered in the first place!

(Still way too big, though.)

Elisheva said:
had purchased some slacks through a catalog, but when they arrived they proved to be way too big and also of a very unpleasant, streaky, grey color--like a tweed gone wrong.

I packed the slacks to send back to the company, but never got to the post office. Subsequently, I forgot about them.

A month later, I rediscovered the package, and realized that too much time had passed to get a refund. So, I took the slacks out--and, say what?--they are solid black, which was what I ordered in the first place!

You could probably still get a refund if you lie through your teeth and say the slacks were for someone who was really ill or in hospital and they just opened the package lately. I've done that before and gotten away with it!

Back on thread. When I saw the film "Frequency" with Dennis Quaid, I thought the scenes where reality changed were way too far-fetched. But the more I've thought about it, and after reading this thread, I've decided that they may in fact be a true representation of what is happening. For those who haven't seen the film - small areas of localised reality just melted away to be replaced by a different version. Scary or what!
The film dealt with communicating through time, but with modern scientists experimenting with teleportation, time travel etc albeit at quantum level, who knows what effect their experiments might be having on the space-time continuum? :eek!!!!:

Elisheva said:
Well, I experienced another one, just day before yesterday.

I had purchased some slacks through a catalog, but when they arrived they proved to be way too big and also of a very unpleasant, streaky, grey color--like a tweed gone wrong.

Well, it may not be a dimensional slip, but I have a zippo I carried for years when I smoked, that my father had for years before that, and I took to calling it "boomerang". It was a joke amongst my friends.

The thing would disappear from the dresser, table, etc. ever so often, and you could look for it until your head fell off, and you wouldn't find it. Days, sometimes weeks or months later, it would show up again in the weirdest places. I might lay it on the dresser, come back for it, and it would be gone, only to find it days later in a different room under the bed or something.

The longest time it went AWOL was when I was living in New Jersey. I left it on my dresser, it disappeared, and I tore the entire house apart looking for it. I couldn't find it. I went back to Texas shortly thereafter.

My friend Andy still lived in the house by himself, and he had remodeled the interior while I was gone. He had totally gutted my room and the one next to it, and turned it into a dining area and new bathroom. During this time, he never found the lighter either.

I had finally decided that it wasn't coming back this time, when I got a call roughly six months after I left. It was Andy, and he said he had come home from work to find my zippo in the middle of the kitchen floor, just lying there on the linoleum. It was covered with corrosion spots, and had a dark patina all over the brass.

He mailed it back to me, I cleaned it up, and it now sits in a storage box. The last time I looked, it was still there.

LurkerX said:
The thing would disappear from the dresser, table, etc. ever so often, and you could look for it until your head fell off, and you wouldn't find it. Days, sometimes weeks or months later, it would show up again in the weirdest places.

Perhaps this is the Padua effect, named by my husband for St. Anthony of Padua who is supposed to be the returner of lost items. (The prayer is "St. Anthony of Padua, help me to find that which I have lost." Seems to work for believers, unbelievers, and complete skeptics, alike.)

We figure that somewhere in Padua is a very peculiar shop filled with lighters and house keys, and the shop's stock changes daily, of course, as new items appear and old items return to their owners.

Anomalies and Boomerangs

LukerX - Ever read the book The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat? Nor have I, but I'm wondering if these dimensional slip experiences -- which we've all seem to have had, to some degree or another -- might not be some sort of memory or perception error, a brain glitch of sorts. I realize this is an unsettling thought, but it violates no physics and thus serves Occam's Razor a bit better, perhaps.

Just a thought.

As for the boomerang Zippo, wow. Interesting stuff. Ever considered you may have a tobacco fiend stalker, possibly interdimensional?

Interesting stuff.

Anyone else have any tales of vanishing and reappearing items?

Elisheva said:
We figure that somewhere in Padua is a very peculiar shop filled with lighters and house keys, and the shop's stock changes daily, of course, as new items appear and old items return to their owners.

You may very well be right. I bet it's chock full of mismatched socks and bic lighters.

Re: Anomalies and Boomerangs

FraterLibre said:
LukerX - Ever read the book The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat? Nor have I, but I'm wondering if these dimensional slip experiences -- which we've all seem to have had, to some degree or another -- might not be some sort of memory or perception error, a brain glitch of sorts. I realize this is an unsettling thought, but it violates no physics and thus serves Occam's Razor a bit better, perhaps.

I thought about that at first, and a lot of things I have no other witness too, so I have to consider that a possibility. I also have had at least 3 major occurences where someone other than myself remembered it the same way, and in at least 1 instance the friend who shared the memory, shared an experience of his own with a co-worker. Everyone but them remembered it the way it was after the change.

It might be interested to note that I'm a SLIder to some extent, but he is much more so. I've seen whole strings of street lights go out when he walks under them, and he gave up wearing a watch long ago. It only seems to happen to me when I'm really stessed out or angry.

Story Like That

Wasn't Theodore Sturgeon's short story, "Shottle Bop", based on an idea sort of like this? About a shop that appears and vanishes, full of lost things, and so on?

As for the streetlight phenomenon, that's just the power companies and cities saving money, and as we witness it, we ascribe cause and effect erroneously.

I'm not sure this is related, but here we go..

I don't think I've ever experienced a change in the 'reality' around me, but then I tend to pay very little attention to my surroundings. I've had a few 'double-takes' where I've suddenly seen something that I had never noticed there before, but as I said, that might simply be due to my being rather distracted.

What does happen to me a lot is not being able to determine the 'reality' of an experience. What I mean is that I very often can't remember if an event or piece of information has been related to me by someone, if I've read it in a book (which could be fictional or not), seen it on the telly, heard it on the radio or simply dreamt it.
The most striking example is when my Mom called to say my Dad had died, and as soon as I'd hung up I thought I'd dreamt the whole thing. I refrained from calling her back to get a confirmation, as it would have upset her whatever the situation was, but I wasn't convinced it had actually happened for a few hours.
Of course, in that case, it might simply have been a form of denial, but it happens a lot, and about very trivial things. Whatever it is, it's probably the cause of my quasi-perpetual state of uncertainty. Well, that's my excuse anyways. ;)

Yesterday I decided to walk down the beaches in Falmouth. As it was a hot day, I turned off my normal route down a path I'd never used before, which seemed like it might offer some shade. I assumed the path was just a short link to the next road down, but no - it went on for ages, in woodland and grassy glades. I could almost have been in the middle of some forest.

I could tell by the sun that I was still heading in roughly the right direction, but I was surprised when a wooded hill loomed up ahead which I hadn't expected. I really did feel I was in some sort of alternative reality!

Eventually I came out somewhere I recognised, and thought I knew the path I wanted from there. But there were houses on one side I didn't remember, and soon the path ended at a couple of garages!

It felt really strange to discover these 'new' places in an area I thought I knew well. What if I should go back and fail to find them again...? :eek!!!!:

I order you to go back and try again, let us know as soon as possible. Please:)

A few years ago I did some exploring of a housing estate in my home town that I wasn't very familiar with. I came upon a large piece of waste ground that had a large pond in the middle of it. The whole area looked as if it had been spattered with white paint. I went back to the piece of land a few months later and everything looked normal. No white paint/chalk/sand whatever it was, could be seen.

Sally said:
I'm not sure this is related, but here we go..

I don't think I've ever experienced a change in the 'reality' around me, but then I tend to pay very little attention to my surroundings. I've had a few 'double-takes' where I've suddenly seen something that I had never noticed there before, but as I said, that might simply be due to my being rather distracted.

What does happen to me a lot is not being able to determine the 'reality' of an experience. What I mean is that I very often can't remember if an event or piece of information has been related to me by someone, if I've read it in a book (which could be fictional or not), seen it on the telly, heard it on the radio or simply dreamt it.
The most striking example is when my Mom called to say my Dad had died, and as soon as I'd hung up I thought I'd dreamt the whole thing. I refrained from calling her back to get a confirmation, as it would have upset her whatever the situation was, but I wasn't convinced it had actually happened for a few hours.
Of course, in that case, it might simply have been a form of denial, but it happens a lot, and about very trivial things. Whatever it is, it's probably the cause of my quasi-perpetual state of uncertainty. Well, that's my excuse anyways. ;)

Well here's one I can relate to. Quite often I can't seem to be able to tell the difference between the "real" world and the world in my head. Quite often I end up having to ask my friends or family "did that really happen or was it in my mind??" Highly bizarre, and definitely highly annoying.

Real, or Memorex?

Is this inability to discern reality a memory glitch, or does it happen real-time, as you experience things?

If the latter, definitely get help.

If the former, then at least consider that you may need hormones, or vitamins, or minerals, or SOMEthing.

LO

i'm a bit drunk so bear with me.
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I was going to mention Narcolepsy, which might be a cause of some of the experiences mentioned on this thread. Look it up via google. I have read a book by Jonathon coe called House of Sleep which deals with this disorder, and details how it can effect your perceptiojn of realilty.

So what I wanted to mantion was that I hve just had a very interesting time slip - it was 25 past 1 when I last looked, I watched a whole DVD and it was still 25 past one.
OK i lie - I watched one episode of Angel which is 45 minutes.
Bu the time hasn't changed.
Very freaky,
I will delete this in the morning if it doesn't make any sense,
Sorry if it doesn't.
But basically I wonder how different substances affect our perception of time.

that is all
it took a lot of effort to write this.

pinkle

Substantive Argument

Yes, various intoxicants affect our perception of time, and all else too. Ever notice how people look sexier when you're drunk, for instance? And telescoping time is one of the hallmarks of such drugs as LSD and even, to a mild degree, alcohol and THC.

I've checked the route of my recent walk through an unfamiliar area of town on the map, and it seems actually slightly shorter than my regular route. But it seemed to take much longer! Next time I go that way I will carefully check the time!

Ups and Downs

rynner - perhaps there is more verticallity involved, which may slow you?

Re: Ups and Downs

FraterLibre said:
rynner - perhaps there is more verticallity involved, which may slow you?
Or maybe it was steeper? ;)

Re: Real, or Memorex?

FraterLibre said:
Is this inability to discern reality a memory glitch, or does it happen real-time, as you experience things?

Both, although the latter doesn't happen that often, thankfully.

I suspect the memory-glitch instances could also explain why I have no memories of my childhood - no conscious ones, anyways. That said, I find it hard to remember what I did yesterday, so maybe not.

During the 'dream-time' episodes, I feel like everything is wrapped in cotton wool, or fog. It's a bit hard to explain, but there is a strong sense of unreality - although I know at the time that what's happening is real, it just doesn't feel real. Sometimes, time slows down as well.

Unsettling

Sally - Very unsettling stuff. It's to the good that the unreal experiences don't happen as much, at least.

Are you aware of any trauma that might have happened to you as a child? Even a severe illness or surgical procedure or anything like an accident or even, forgive the suggestion, abuse?

Back