• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Small Debit Card Charges

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Business's used to be able to charge you an extra 50p on your purchase in, for one example, convenience stores if you used a debit card and the tally came up to under a fiver .. as of September to January last and this year, they can't do that anymore in the UK, it's illegal unless they say "there will be a 50p charge, is that OK?" ... if you reply with the word "Yes", they can take 50p .. if you say "No", they can't refuse to serve you or take that extra 50p off you .. I bit the bullet today because I forgot this when the owner of a small store answered my query on this point with: "It's an administration charge, you can get hole in the wall money over there for free." .. if I'd been a bit quicker I could have said: "OK, my 'consultation' fee is also 50p and I'm saying give me my 50p back now please" .. but I couldn't be arsed .. which is how most people feel when they're darting in and out of convenience stores, they're in a hurry .. be aware and politely (politely is paramount) refuse to pay the charge .. I've just tried this in a different store and it works .. whilst I politely explained the law back to the owner, he actually grinned, apologised, opened his till and handed me a 50p coin. The law is the law :tank: (all thanks to the Mrs for this contemporary, as I believe the internet calls it these days, 'life hack') ..

I know they used to say you get charged if you use a credit card, never used to get charged for using a debit one, then they started charging me, but only in the small shops, but if it is illegal then they shouldn't be asking for it in the first place now

Thanks for the heads up Swifty

You're both welcome .. we're all going to be a few 50p's better off now ..

lol you do remember that i am female, right ? lmfao

Back