• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Small Town Overcome By Mysterious Ape Sightings

Zilch5

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
GLEN ST. MARY, Fla. -- Mysterious ape sightings are bringing excitement to a sleepy Florida town.

Residents have been hearing screeches in the night and stories of sightings echo on every corner.

The local newspaper even ran a story about the sightings.

"There is kind of that 'I've seen a bigfoot' type of feel to it," said resident Eric Lawson. "They said it made a nest in that tree, so it's probably somewhere here in the area."

Some believe the mysterious animal is an orangutan -- one local family had found what looked to be an orange ape up high in a tree.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission investigator who answered the original complaint call on the orange ape said there was definitely something up in the top of the tree, but he really couldn't be sure what it was.

He said he took a pack of jelly donuts and left it at the bottom of the tree, hoping to lure the creature to the ground.

He said he hasn't heard anything since.

"The next morning, the people came out and it was, it was gone," Lawson said.

If the mysterious animal was an ape, where did it come from? State officials said no one in Baker County is licensed to own an orangutan.

Source: http://www.nbc10.com/news/14585860/detail.html

Also you can see a picture here:

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/glen-fl-ape/

Has anyone told Stephen Colbert yet?

EDIT:

It's a shame that it's not something more unusual, but as Freud said, sometimes an orang-utan is just an orang-utan.

here is my theory for all its worth:

Fruit & Veg Ed (the grocer) got a friend to use his unlicensed pet Orang utan as a promotional stunt for his business, but the ape went on the run and Ed decided to do the same.

Yep, I live in Florida, and for those of you who know me..and my comic shop..I've had regular customers bring in all kinds of weird pets (monkeys) some folks that live out in the swamp lands and keep all kinds of exotic pets. I myself have 4 turtles, one of which I found 10 years ago sitting on a sprinkler head while walking My dog, which was about a inch long, now it looks like a Monster (its a soft shell).

probably someones orang got loose

Considering th number of exotic critters that have become naturalized to the great state of Florida, as well as the number of people keeping exotics (licensed and otherwise), an orang on the loose is well within the realm of probability.

From where I am in north central Florida, there are three collections, all private, that include Great Apes and/or Big Cats, that I know of.

Back