• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Smells Like Rain?"

I can smell rain coming sometimes, and tell how clear the sky is (without looking) based on how loud the motorway is (the clearer the air, the louder it is).

There are lots of train lines where I live and locals have traditionally told the weather by the way the trains sound. If you can hear a train clearly from a long way off the air is damp.

Works for all forms of motorised transport including trains and as you mention, cars. I mentioned this on here one day and had lots of puzzled replies.

Oh yeah the damn trains too. There's some sort of train garage that they use at night, revving and chugging without ever leaving. fair echoes up the hill. I'm sure its the increase in ginormous warehouse in the area that has increased the sound, acoustics or something like that. It never used to be as noisy.

Its definitely still air because its the same summer or winter and not to do with temperature.

Hearing

crypto - I believe you and would speculate that perhaps you are hearing a distinctive set of frequencies put out by that TV set, or perhaps by many or most of them. It needn't be experienced by you as a sound, either, if it's in a frequency range beyond normal human hearing.
I could tell a TV was on anywhere in a house in the days of EHT CRT, I could hear the really high frequency sound they made.

Were it not for a single mention of rain's smell in the linked article you'd have gotten a post gone MIA and a decremented post count.
That's fair enough, Boss, all I did though was have a wee check online, 'rain smell Scotland' and that Golden Nugget was recommended.

Mercifully, oh aye... did include the word, 'rain', there.. :frust::cool:

I could tell a TV was on anywhere in a house in the days of EHT CRT, I could hear the really high frequency sound they made.

Many many autistics have hyper or hypo senses - hyper hearing seems to be the most common.

Edit to add: hyper smelling is also common. Rain is frequently commented on!

Many many autistics have hyper or hypo senses - hyper hearing seems to be the most common.

Edit to add: hyper smelling is also common. Rain is frequently commented on!
Thoughts on this folks.. ?

If a news item recently posted, apologies, I can't locate same:

Why everyone wants this Glasgow woman to taste their name

'A Glasgow writer has been swallowed up by social media after revealing she can taste people's names.

Julie McDowall sees nothing out of the ordinary in being able to measure a word - or a name - by the taste it gives her'.

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampprojec...errer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

Back