• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Smells Like Rain?"

Inverurie Jones said:
You mean you can't make snowmen? Or have snowball fights? Or go sledging? Is Christmas always rainy? Ugh! How awful!

you said it bro.

Actually, we did have a little snow last winter (2001) - it was the first time my six and eight year olds had ever had enough of the stuff to make a (very small, very short lived) snowman.

We get the occasional flurry, but it rarely pitches. Spring's coming earlier, and winter much later, every year down here.

"I'm dreaming of a grey Christmas, Just like the ones we always get.."

About schizophrenics' special smell: didn't Jame Gumb in 'The Silence Of The Lambs' smell sort of goatish, when he got really cross, and wasn't this pointed out in the text as being a sign of his illness? Or it might have been the baddie in 'Red Dragon', I dunno..........

Last time I played in snow was a good few years ago. I took my son and his mate up one of the few hills visible in Cheshire, Mow Cop, and challenged them to snowball me. I laughed mockingly at their pathetic efforts: they missed every time, no matter how loudly I mocked them.

They're both in the Army now so I won't be trying that again.

escargot said:
About schizophrenics' special smell: didn't Jame Gumb in 'The Silence Of The Lambs' smell sort of goatish, when he got really cross, and wasn't this pointed out in the text as being a sign of his illness? Or it might have been the baddie in 'Red Dragon', I dunno..........

I think it's mentioned in a few books. The strange thing is, it seems to be true. The mentally ill do have a certain odour. Whether this is caused in part by a possible inability to care for themselves, or is another sign of chemical imbalance, I am not qualified to say. But I have spent some time in the company of some schizophrenics over the years, and they do have a 'rancid' goatish like smell, especially when under stress or having an 'episode'.

harlequin said:
The guy who does my garden pointed it out to me, on a day that the sun was splitting the flagstones, with nary a cloud in the sky... 'when Wales stands up like that, and looks like a painted piece of scenery, we have bad weather coming, when its laid down its set for fine.' Two hours later the heavens opened and stayed like it for three days. It was like living on the set of BLadeRunner...

8¬)

Aye Lad, us gardeners 'ave a feel f't Earth...:D

It's just a question of observation...the change in light, wind speed/direction, and smell...! Watch the birds too...they 'quiet'en down' before bad weather...

Helen said:
The strange thing is, it seems to be true. The mentally ill do have a certain odour.
I can tell if my hubcap's having an anxiety attack by the way he smells (and before the coarse ones amongst you make the joke, it's his skin that smells not his trouser region). I wonder if depressives have a particular smell? (sniffs armpits frantically)

"When Roseberry Topping wears a hat, let Cleveland then beware of that."

Carole

Helen said:
I think it's mentioned in a few books. The strange thing is, it seems to be true. The mentally ill do have a certain odour. Whether this is caused in part by a possible inability to care for themselves, or is another sign of chemical imbalance, I am not qualified to say. But I have spent some time in the company of some schizophrenics over the years, and they do have a 'rancid' goatish like smell, especially when under stress or having an 'episode'.

I read somewhere that experienced doctors of a couple of generations ago reckoned that certain (physical) illnesses had particular smells.

Carole

And of course trained dogs can sniff out tumours. :cross eye

carole said:
I read somewhere that experienced doctors of a couple of generations ago reckoned that certain (physical) illnesses had particular smells.

Carole

True. Diabetes makes urine smell like hay, apparently. Mind you, so does Sugar Puffs. There's other things, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. They can also tell a lot by the look of your tongue and eyes. Well, the ones that know anything, of course.

Dehydration makes your pee smell like Sugarpuffs...kinda goes the same colour, too...

I find different kinds of Ryvita make my pee smell - er - distinctively different.

Part of the problem with being on a diet where most of my roughage comes from Ryvita, I suppose.

Chinese herbal medicine practitioners can tell all sorts by the smell of your breath apparently. If they smelled mine right now they'd think I was an alcoholic. :hmph:

My father was a GP for many years and always observed that you had to use as many of your senses as practical to make diagnosese. The timbre of the voice of people with coronary problems, the feeling of a cancer patient's skin, the smells associated with many illnesses including mental. It's not that we have lost the senses it's just that we don't know how to use them now

boo said:
i had a friend who once said"this air smells really 70's":confused:

Were you surrounded by clouds of smoke made by illegal substances? :D

Because of the lakes here in Minneapolis, you can
ALWAYS tell when you are in the city by that "watery" smell
that does NOT extend beyond the metro area.

The smell immediately triggers memories, in all of my
siblings, of childhood visits to the city.
Weird!

TVgeek

Once driving around the M25 on a sunny afternoon, I told my kids by them that we were soon be driving into rain. They were very impressed when we soon did, and asked how I knew. "Well", I said in that knowledgable fatherly way,"the cows we passed were sitting down, which they do to keep the ground beneath them dry during rain".

I can't remember if I also mentioned to them that most of the cars driving in the opposite direction had their headlights on, a sure sign that they had just been in heavy rain.

Can smell when snows on its way, can also smell when someones been on ecxtasy when they've been clubbing and I pick them up in my taxi, not a very nice smell,........ecxtasy I mean ,not my taxi,.......although by the end of the night a mix of beer, kebabs, drugs and sexual frenzy,.........and my passengers are no better:eek!!!!:

Attention Distracted

I doubt our senses are as dulled as we may think. We are so distrcted by our modern "civilized" lifestyle that we simply fail to notice, or to give proper or due attention to, the many things we're capable of.

I've also heard it comes back to you if you end up in the wild, and have to start relying on your senses more to get along. Probably varies from person to person, but to a degree we can all do much better smelling rain or sensing danger or what have you.

yep

I agree Fraterlibre, we are so distracted by the strenuous effort of existence in this World, that the basic survival instincts seem to have been compromised or at least ignored in favour of social life and all the complexities that it throws our way.

Go sit in a field for a week - that'll learn you!

TVgeek said:
The smell immediately triggers memories, in all of my
siblings, of childhood visits to the city.
Weird!

TVgeek

not weird, proustian, innit.

Marcel's Madeleine

My thought exactly, and imagine the shock of finding Proust validated HERE.

Having had to read "Au Recherche du Temps Perdu" as a set book, I find I can't face looking at madeleines, let alone smelling or eating them. :(

"personally, I can tell whether a TV is plugged in or not (on 'standby') through the same sense (and I know from experience that not many other people can)."

When I used to walk home from high school I was able to tell whether my brother had the TV on or not simply by the sensation I got when I was about 30m from the house. The TV was not visible nor could it be heard from outside the house. I was always 100% right about whether it was on or not.

There's a hospital sluice not a million miles from here which always smells to me like Rhyl beach.................

Hearing

crypto - I believe you and would speculate that perhaps you are hearing a distinctive set of frequencies put out by that TV set, or perhaps by many or most of them. It needn't be experienced by you as a sound, either, if it's in a frequency range beyond normal human hearing.

Dipping into old thread here, just for fun.

I can smell rain coming sometimes, and tell how clear the sky is (without looking) based on how loud the motorway is (the clearer the air, the louder it is).

Can anyone remember how old tv's used to smell? the static on the screen (which you could feel, and erm, taste)? I get that static electric smell from my phone sometimes, usually when its charging. Bit worrying tbh but it's not caught on fire yet!

I (seem to) remember that at primary school I and a few of my cohort would link arms now and then and stalk the playground shouting "we want thunder". Inevitably*, thunder would follow at some stage during the day. I can only assume that on some level we were sensitive to atmospheric pressure or the like. The lightning and raindrops were no doubt something of a giveaway, too... Kids, take my advice: when they're handing out superpowers, don't plump for human barometry.

*There may have been occasions on which it didn't, obviously, but we scored hits often enough for this to be a memory for me.

Back